Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
South Korea tax law allows losses to be carried forward for 10 years.
Yet profits still make more money than losses so imo 2.5 million refurbs will be restored and sold for profit. What does Samsung care about our resale value? You may believe they eill shred them. I do not. I will never believe it unless the details of their destruction are actually released and filmed. Companies don't throw money away.

BTW, I had heard initially that explosions were in Asia. One exploded in Winthrop, MA this weekend.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yet profits still make more money than losses so imo 2.5 million refurbs will be restored and sold for profit. What does Samsung care about our resale value? You may believe they eill shred them. I do not. I will never believe it unless the details of their destruction are actually released and filmed. Companies don't throw money away.
It is Samsung's sale value though for new phones that could be affected.

Also I don't see a company as big as Samsung taking the risk for one jury that wants to stick it to the man, to return a large verdict.

When you are talking about a jury, evidence and proof doesn't always come into play, especially when someone with deep pockets is the defendant.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is Samsung's sale value though for new phones that could be affected.

Also I don't see a company as big as Samsung taking the risk for one jury that wants to stick it to the man, to return a large verdict.

When you are talking about a jury, evidence and proof doesn't always come into play, especially when someone with deep pockets is the defendant.
Of course they won't be sold right away but only as sales wane and new models come out. That is when we might sell ours. Initially they could sell to insurers or suppliers of insurers. I remember Note 4 refurbs showing up at Best Buy just a few months ago. I nearly bought one.

The court stuff is ot so I will leave it alone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course they won't be sold right away but only as sales wane and new models come out. That is when we might sell ours. Initially they could sell to insurers or suppliers of insurers. I remember Note 4 refurbs showing up at Best Buy just a few months ago. I nearly bought one.

The court stuff is ot so I will leave it alone.
Well that isn't OT. That is very relevant in issue of doing these devices as refurbs.

A refurb can be safe, then someone can charge it with cheap stuff, blow it up and a jury might look at it as "this was recalled for this very thing and they didn't fix it correctly" and you have a multi-million judgment against you to make a few bucks because you didn't scrap the material or reuse parts on new phones.

The manufacturered date will be key here and there is no way for anyone to know if it has a new battery when it is on the market. Things like this very much go into making the business decision to do something.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well that isn't OT. That is very relevant in issue of doing these devices as refurbs.

A refurb can be safe, then someone can charge it with cheap stuff, blow it up and a jury might look at it as "this was recalled for this very thing and they didn't fix it correctly" and you have a multi-million judgment against you to make a few bucks because you didn't scrap the material or reuse parts on new phones.

The manufacturered date will be key here and there is no way for anyone to know if it has a new battery when it is on the market. Things like this very much go into making the business decision to do something.
I assume Samsung would fix battery issues in refurbs.

You believe Sammy will shred all these returned phones?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I assume Samsung would fix battery issues in refurbs.

You believe Sammy will shred all these returned phones?
You missed my point. Of course they would fix them. But these batteries can explode with the wrong charger. Again.. With a jury and deep pockets, perception, not facts can weigh heavily.

They might surprise me and refurb them, but their refurb market in the US isn't big yet, but.. If I was in on a decision like this with a company, I would say scrap what can't be used and reuse parts in other phones.

I do not trust US juries to look at facts when it comes to issues with a company like Samsung. Some states have had to pass laws on the amount of damages that a jury can award because they had awarded crazy amounts against large companies or insurance companies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also there is the US public. Samsung offered some compensation (money) to people in Korea. It wasn't a lot. People turned it down. In the US, many not only wouldn't turn that down, but would demand more and sue to get it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

BTW, I had heard initially that explosions were in Asia. One exploded in Winthrop, MA this weekend.
Samsung may not specifically care about our individual resale value but they certainly care about their image and that image includes being known for making devices that hold value. They aren't going to sacrifice that over one issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No I ignored the court linked component because I think it is safer to leave it alone. The op didn't mention lawsuits so I think they are ot.

As for whether there will be a lot of refurbs built and eventually sold and whether this will affect our resale value. imo returned phones will be repaired or parts will be used to build a lot of refurbs. These refurbs won't flood the market now because Sammy wants full price for their phones. When N7 is no longer being built and sold new I fear refurbs will hit the market and lower resale value.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung may not specifically care about our individual resale value but they certainly care about their image and that image includes being known for making devices that hold value. They aren't going to sacrifice that over one issue.
On this we disagree.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
On this we disagree.
And that's fine.

Personally, resale value is irrelevant to me because I'm on JOD so T-Mobile is guaranteeing me a resale value. I know going in my max out of pocket is only how many monthly payments I choose to make before switching phones. So really, whatever Samsung does will not adversely effect me in any way. I still think they take the loss and move on. I guess the answer will present itself in the next 6 months in either a quarterly statement or year end statement when we see a big loss listed.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No I ignored the court linked component because I think it is safer to leave it alone. The op didn't mention lawsuits so I think they are ot.

As for whether there will be a lot of refurbs built and eventually sold and whether this will affect our resale value. imo returned phones will be repaired or parts will be used to build a lot of refurbs. These refurbs won't flood the market now because Sammy wants full price for their phones. When N7 is no longer being built and sold new I fear refurbs will hit the market and lower resale value.
He didn't mention using the parts on other phones either, but that is a possibility.

Samsung will consider a lot of things in deciding what to do. The chance of a huge lawsuit is something all corporate lawyers look at, that is their job. Things like that most certainly play into a decision a company makes on what to do.

I think, but that is only my opinion, that Samsung lawyers would say do not put these back on the market because of the lawsuit risk. A company doesn't just look at "how much can we make" to determine something like this. They have to weigh risks, if the risk is high they lose 100 times what they made, then a smaller loss is worth it.

Chance of lawsuit most certainly will be a factor in their decision, it depends on how high they feel the risk is.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it ethical to use parts of pre-owned phones in building new phones? This would provide biggest profit margin I would think. I have no idea if Samsung would do it. If it is something Sammy won't do then I think they go into millions of refurbs.

I see no reason a lawsuit on a refurb would be more successful than a lawsuit on one of the brandy new N7 some exchange their old defective phones for. In fact if any phone blows up it may cost any manufacturer and provider money.

I think the issue of whether someday a flood of N7 refurbs is in itself a very interesting idea. For those who wait it could mean huge savings. For those who sell in the bay or swappa every year or two it could make the N7 a terrible investment even if it is a fabulous phone.

I keep all my old phones so I won't be affected (can't be bothered selling. Trade in value terrible).

If I ever leave my unlimited data plan I love the sounds of the payment plan where you get a new Samsung flagship every year at no additional cost (trading in the old one).

Now I'm way ot but I think I heard an ad on tv for vzw 4 lines 16gb with roll over for $150 buy one galaxy get one free? That approximates what I pay for 2 lines now and 16 gb is plenty for me. My wife only uses 1 gb a month. The other 2 lines could be for me trying out new phones. I may have the promotion all wrong though. Just caught it out of peripheral hearing on somebody else's radio.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
He didn't mention using the parts on other phones either, but that is a possibility.

Samsung will consider a lot of things in deciding what to do. The chance of a huge lawsuit is something all corporate lawyers look at, that is their job. Things like that most certainly play into a decision a company makes on what to do.

I think, but that is only my opinion, that Samsung lawyers would say do not put these back on the market because of the lawsuit risk. A company doesn't just look at "how much can we make" to determine something like this. They have to weigh risks, if the risk is high they lose 100 times what they made, then a smaller loss is worth it.

Chance of lawsuit most certainly will be a factor in their decision, it depends on how high they feel the risk is.
When it comes to using the parts or refurbing the entire phone, here is my thinking, and I certainly could be wrong:

The serial number and IMEI of these phones have been flagged under a recall. Just changing the battery, if that's all they actually end up needing, wouldn't be enough to change the serial number of the entire phone I wouldn't think. So, if they are sold again, they would have to state specifically that these are recalled devices that have been repaired.

Each individual part of the phone also carries its own serial number so those parts would be flagged as well and I don't think they would dare use those in post recall phones, not even for repairs months from now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The pre-owned, no, that material would be scrapped.

There are a ton that haven't been opened or sent out, but they have a manufacturing date before the problem was corrected.

You are still missing my point about the refurb. No Samsung shouldn't get a judgment against them for a refurb that is fixed. What a jury does isn't always what should happen. If someone uses the wrong cord and it blows up, that is their fault, not Samsung's. Many juries won't care and will go against Samsung.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung has those cool robots to disassemble phones like Apple has. If so they could break them down and reassemble using the good parts and replace the bad ones. I know that the parts would be from recalled phones, but if they're not just new batteries in the same recalled assembly carriers and insurers might feel more confident buying them for refurb replacements.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If USB C tech results in explosions when used with ubiquitous micro usb cables, wallwarts, and micro to C adapters Sammy should be sued. It is a foreseeable event and we may be sure the uninformed will do it. Heck, VZW sells the adapters! Algorithm must be built in to cut off charging if improper current or voltage is delivered. I used mine with an adapter one night and I am better informed than most. The only justifiable cause of a phone exploding should involve a hammer or barbecue grill!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If USB C tech results in explosions when used with ubiquitous micro usb cables, wallwarts, and micro to C adapters Sammy should be sued. It is a foreseeable event and we may be sure the uninformed will do it. Heck, VZW sells the adapters! Algorithm must be built in to cut off charging if improper current or voltage is delivered. I used mine with an adapter one night and I am better informed than most. The only justifiable cause of a phone exploding should involve a hammer or barbecue grill!

It isn't Samsung. It is the cord, charging port, adapter, etc manufacturers. They aren't meeting specs.

This has happened with other C port phones and electronics for the same reason.

The recalled phones aren't because of the wrong charger. 24 phones as of the recall, possibly more now, were because of a battery fault that has nothing to do with cheap chargers.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I don't necessarily believe that USB C has to be backward compatible with micro usb cables. I kinda think the adapters were a bad idea for this very reason. Greedy cheap manufacturers are the problem here by making c cables that don't adhere to industry standards. I would never buy a cable from some knockoff company. I know others do though.