Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung does that, then they won't be smart business wise at all. I don't think they want another chance with a problem Note 7 and many people wouldn't take it as a replacement.

If it was made before the date of the new ones, I wouldn't take it either and I trust Samsung to fix them.
If I buy another N7 how will I know date it was built before potentially being stuck with restocking fee?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
So what will be the fate of recalled devices and the parts they are made of?
As I've said repeatedly, they take the loss and move on. The money really isn't that big of a deal. Tough decisions are made all the time. Look at Target. They made the decision to close 130 Canada stores at a cost of a $5 billion write off after losing $2 billion over 2 years on Canada operations.

The other thing to consider is Samsung is only out the actual cost to them of the parts for these devices. That could be as little as $400/ device or less even considering the s7 only had $250 worth of parts.

At $400, it's a $1 billion write off. Chump change for Samsung in the big picture.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
As I've said repeatedly, they take the loss and move on. The money really isn't that big of a deal. Tough decisions are made all the time. Look at Target. They made the decision to close 130 Canada stores at a cost of a $5 billion write off after losing $2 billion over 2 years on Canada operations.

The other thing to consider is Samsung is only out the actual cost to them of the parts for these devices. That could be as little as $400/ device or less even considering the s7 only had $250 worth of parts.

At $400, it's a $1 billion write off. Chump change for Samsung in the big picture.

I am amazed that there is even $250 worth of parts in these phones, unless you include research and development costs.
When you consider a good size Samsung TV can be gotten for the same price as this phone, you wonder how much these phones cost to make.

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Some people seem to believe this is due to people using cheap or unapproved charging cables. If there truly no issues with the battery and the cause was simply not using the accessories provided, I'm not sure Samsung would go to such a dramatic step as recalling all the devices. There is a bigger issue at play here.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Right this recall issue is about the battery alone. The 24 cases out of 35, I'm guessing they only used Samsung or chargers/cables that were proven good.

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I am amazed that there is even $250 worth of parts in these phones, unless you include research and development costs.
When you consider a good size Samsung TV can be gotten for the same price as this phone, you wonder how much these phones cost to make.
I think the article about the s7 for cost of parts was from April or May, pretty close after launch as that would have only gone down as months progressed. At the time, the SD 820 was the most expensive part at $64. That has certainly come down.

Manufacturing, labor, advertising make up the majority cost of almost any electronics.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the article about the s7 for cost of parts was from April or May, pretty close after launch as that would have only gone down as months progressed. At the time, the SD 820 was the most expensive part at $64. That has certainly come down.

Manufacturing, labor, advertising make up the majority cost of almost any electronics.
Yes, just like with any electronics and repair. You have an inexpensive part and the labor is crazy price.

They can't get back the cost of labor on making these phones. Also with manufacturing like this, it basically cost the same to run one as it does to run 1000. One run cost the same if you have one phone on there or if you have 100.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
They didn't rush them this year. Release date.. One year from the Note 5.

Either way... I believe manufacturers are too quick to get their devices on the shelves. It seems they hold the release date to a higher regard than quality control. Obviously! As I've stated in another thread, they got lucky with the Note 5. It's a solid device for sure, but manufacturers could spend more time squashing bugs and testing their product imo.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
In the tech Business, if you are not fast at everything, you will have no business. Likewise, poor quality will lead to lost business. A difficult situation... If the phone came out 3 months later, but was 100% good quality, most customers would be complaining about the use of old/common chips and technology... Difficult to win. And to further the problems for big phone manufacturers, is that smaller companies can make a similar product with 95% of the same tech and sell for less. This happens with any technology. What was once "special" becomes "common".

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Either way... I believe manufacturers are too quick to get their devices on the shelves. It seems they hold the release date to a higher regard than quality control. Obviously! As I've stated in another thread, they got lucky with the Note 5. It's a solid device for sure, but manufacturers could spend more time squashing bugs and testing their product imo.

So you prefer one phone every two years then?

They spend at least a year on each device. This isn't new.

avivzan

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It will be worth to wait for all of those refurbish units specially to all of those people who think the note 7 is a little bit too expansive (and I'm among them)...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly please explain. I do not understand what you said
The way to tell if the phone is recalled is by the manufactured date. The recalled phones will have that date. Myself, I do not think Samsung will risk putting those phones on the market. The parts costs Samsung very little. Even if they fix it, and someone blows up a battery using the wrong charger, they will likely try to Samsung.

I think, again this is just my opinion, the amount of money Samsung has on each phone they are recalling, is way too little to take the risk of making them into refurbs.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The way to tell if the phone is recalled is by the manufactured date. The recalled phones will have that date. Myself, I do not think Samsung will risk putting those phones on the market. The parts costs Samsung very little. Even if they fix it, and someone blows up a battery using the wrong charger, they will likely try to Samsung.

I think, again this is just my opinion, the amount of money Samsung has on each phone they are recalling, is way too little to take the risk of making them into refurbs.

Wouldn't there be a refurbished date? Isn't that how they tell on other phones that are sent back and refurbished. Then sent to customers under warranty or sold as prepay phones. Consumers have to know what they're getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair