Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, its 2.5 million, so $400 each.

But it isn't just the cost to replace them. The number includes the loss in sales and stuff. So it isn't actually a cost per device being replaced. They will most likely be sold as refurbished too.

And its an estimate by a third party. Not necessarily reality.

Analysts apparently don't think Samsung's brand image has been harmed much since they acted quickly and decisively. So I don't think many expect costs in loss of sales to be too high.

Thank you - I'm sorry, I mis-read the 250 million... and for the extra insight. appreciate your time.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's no big deal at all.

I am waiting on another promo. I bought mine from Target and they gave you a $200 gift card for a trade-in that you could use on the downpayment. I could have netted about $100 for my trade in phone so that came to $100 if you consider that. Then you got another $100 target gift card as well after the sale. Plus the free Gear Fit 2 and $20 Samsung Pay rewards!

Returned mine now and waiting for the next promo to rebuy.

With all of these Note7 refurbs that will hit the market the Note7 resale value won't be high but I am fine with that as I keep my old Androids as backup devices.

What all did you have to return with yours? Did you get to keep the promos?

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
"This means that in the coming weeks and months, there is going to be a LOT of refurbished Galaxy Note 7’s and Galaxy S7 Edge’s hitting the market."

I didn't think this was going to cause a possible increase in S7E refurbs too because of this. Interesting thought.

Why it might be a wise idea to delay buying a Galaxy S7 Edge right now - Android Authority

I would guess they put them in a warehouse until the current models reach EOL. Looking at their refub website I don't see any *newish* phones.

Samsung Electronics America Online Store - Welcome

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
"This means that in the coming weeks and months, there is going to be a LOT of refurbished Galaxy Note 7’s and Galaxy S7 Edge’s hitting the market."

I didn't think this was going to cause a possible increase in S7E refurbs too because of this. Interesting thought.

Why it might be a wise idea to delay buying a Galaxy S7 Edge right now - Android Authority
I don't believe these will ever hit the refurb market. I think they will just trash them instead of causing a huge devaluation of value.

Samsung most likely carries recall insurance which covers disposal costs.

Product Recall Insurance
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/product-recall-insurance.asp

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Another option for Samsung would be to run a promo like "Buy a new Note 7 and get a refurbished one free." There will be nothing wrong with these phone. The phone's battery will be replaced and each phone will go through quality control testing again. In fact the refurbished ones may be more reliable in that they will have been tested twice.

I agree with others that these phones will be going to the carriers/insurance companies as replacement phones. At least these will be refurbished with a new battery as to some other failure (cracked screen, broken buttons, faulty other parts, etc)

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not everyone is turning in their phone. Not every carrier is offering a loaner or replacement. Also, some are using old phones. So there won't be a lot of returns on S7 Edges. More then in previous year models, but not as much as people might think.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't expect a ton of loaners but depending how it's set up could be enough to cause low supply... Only a guess but if Samsung was to get retailers that are participating, I bet Samsung is eating some cost to retailer for every loaner they push out and once the loaner is returned to the retailer, they are now allowed to sell it as a open box type unit and make money off getting something from Samsung as well as reselling it at discount. A thought.

My friend that has a Note 7... he went to AT&T store this past weekend and they offered a 7 Edge loaner. He kept his and waiting on the replacement.

Not everyone is turning in their phone. Not every carrier is offering a loaner or replacement. Also, some are using old phones. So there won't be a lot of returns on S7 Edges. More then in previous year models, but not as much as people might think.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Interesting thought.

I had the same thought - which is why I'm now considering just taking my N7 back for a full refund and buying one of the refurbs when they come flooding onto the market in a few weeks. Heck, I might even end up with my exact same phone again. ;)

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There is no way Samsung is going to resell these phones, even as refurbs. These phones cost nothing to make. Of the $1000 spent, most of the money goes into R & D, marketing, packaging, prototypes, testing, etc. I doubt that once the line and supply chains are set up, these phones don't cost Samsung more than $100 each.

Plus, of the $1000 price tag, they are making around $500 in profit.

Reuters estimated that Apple made as much as 49-58 percent profit margins on iPhones.

piepie22

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
If all the newer phone are held together by Glue, I doubt removing and installing new battery won't cause at least some sort of cosmetic damage to it.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
There is no way Samsung is going to resell these phones, even as refurbs. These phones cost nothing to make. Of the $1000 spent, most of the money goes into R & D, marketing, packaging, prototypes, testing, etc. I doubt that once the line and supply chains are set up, these phones don't cost Samsung more than $100 each.

Plus, of the $1000 price tag, they are making around $500 in profit.

Reuters estimated that Apple made as much as 49-58 percent profit margins on iPhones.

Apple has the largest profit of all phone makers.

Samsung costs then about 200 per phone

melonzzzzz

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
My thoughts are that these phones will be refurbished and sold as new to countries that do not have strong consumer protection laws. Those that were sold to the US market will be insurance phones/refurbs.

If I was running Samsung I'd do everything possible to get the profit margins widened for these returned phones. Just my .02 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae