Marketing? re: Recall

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a brilliant Marketing technique if you think of it, considering all the blown up news coverage. No, seriously, you can't put anything past companies doing things like this these days.
The creators of the video game, GTA V actually paid for bad publicity.
This way, all those iPhone fanboys become aware of Samsung's Galaxy Note, whereas before the masses knew nothing about such a phone existing.
Just a thought.

(Tried to reply to a few other threads with this comment, but after having typed it up, said threads are now closed. Plus I went through the hassle of not finding a Sign Up button for Android Central in web browser or Tap-A-Talk so downloaded the AC App. What gives!?)

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a brilliant Marketing technique if you think of it, considering all the blown up news coverage. No, seriously, you can't put anything past companies doing things like this these days.
The creators of the video game, GTA V actually paid for bad publicity.
This way, all those iPhone fanboys become aware of Samsung's Galaxy Note, whereas before the masses knew nothing about such a phone existing.
Just a thought.

(Tried to reply to a few other threads with this comment, but after having typed it up, said threads are now closed. Plus I went through the hassle of not finding a Sign Up button for Android Central in web browser or Tap-A-Talk so downloaded the AC App. What gives!?)

If you talk to an average person they think the phone world consists of iPhone and Samsung. That's right not android, but just Samsung. Most people dont know what OS their devices even run. All they know if there is an iphone or a Samsung phone.
Everyone is fully aware and i highly doubt Samsung would take this kind of costly hit to "get the word out" .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes they purposely allowed units that would literally blow up, catch fire and possibly cause personal harm or damage to property to gain attention to buy Samsung. Headline, "Samsung phone explodes and burns house down, leaving family of 4 homeless!... Buy Samsung!" Lol.

This is the worst thing that can happen to them at the worst time.

Praised by some the best smartphone this year... They couldn't have asked for better with this launch with maximum momentum heading up to iPhone 7 launch with supply issues on a $850 phone!

Now the phone is going to be known as "The exploding phone." People will be scared to charge their phone unattended while waiting for their replacement. If carriers are offering refunds,many will see the iPhone 7 release in days and wait to get their refund and get the iPhone. new customers coming from other brands like iPhone that don't know the line will point to a S7 or Edge or Note and say ,"That's the phone that blows up." Bringing in the Note to the "7" series has now hurt the entire line.

This is gonna hurt them rest of year. They'll be happy when they can put the "7" series behind them and release the "8."

To tech savvy phone buyers looking for a great phone, this issue could create possibly the best buying opportunity to get a phone once this all pssses and production is back to normal with Note 7 v2.0 and rest of line. Hoping we'll start seeing the N7 heavily discounted heading into holidays.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how you can spin an exploding phone into good marketing. This isn't a person where "there's no such thing as bad publicity". . This is a well known brand that just took a major hit with one of their two flagship releases of the year. Anything positive coming from this phone has just been buried by this exploding phone news.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't know how you can spin an exploding phone into good marketing. This isn't a person where "there's no such thing as bad publicity". . This is a well known brand that just took a major hit with one of their two flagship releases of the year. Anything positive coming from this phone has just been buried by this exploding phone news.

I don't know. I think the fact that Samsung has tried to make it right by offering return and exchanges en masse says a lot more for their character than it does, say oh, Apple. They're willing to take a hit, and I think when the dust settles they may recover rather quickly. Losing money on a flagship is a terrible way to start things, but it will make people consider Samsung in the future.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
They have most certainly lost out big time from this. When the average consumer hears about phones exploding, and a global recall, for a brand almost everyone has heard of already, you can be assured they would be less inclined to buy, and not more.

To be honest if we're throwing off the wall conspiracies out there I'd be more inclined to believe that Apple hired 007 to sabotage them than Samsung sabotaging themselves with the very risky and strange hope that it would somehow increase sales.

Another conspiracy is an excuse to flood the market with cheaper refurbished phones with overly aggressive pricing that would otherwise possibly be illegal.

But obviously, the most likely cause is the official one. No real reason to doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech