If your Note 7 is fine should you still exchange it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I mean you know how upset I am with Samsung right now, but tbf.. I don't think any company doing any recall really tells the extent, especially a voluntary recall where the government isn't involved.
True, but based on the amount of people who dont want to return their phones maybe they should be a little more forthcoming.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Before all of this mess I was only charging with the wireless Samsung charging stand. ;)

Now, I'm only charging using the wall charger and cable..............call me a thrill seeker if you like. :eek:

Gets a little warm but not battery blowing warm.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Before all of this mess I was only charging with the wireless Samsung charging stand. ;)

Now, I'm only charging using the wall charger and cable..............call me a thrill seeker if you like. :eek:

Gets a little warm but not battery blowing warm.

Mine doesn't even get warm, not since initial setup. Even while messing with it while it's plugged in. Hate to see her go.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
The multiple issues show why I don't go with samsuck any more. Mind you, last Samsuck phone I owned was the OG note, but to date, I still resent it. Sure, the S-Pen is absolutely great... for the few apps that take full advantage of it (most of them Samsucks built in bloatware) but touchwiz was a train wrecks and an eye sore. My note would also randomly get it's radio to hang leaving my without coverage until I reset it.

I see that things have not changed much, TW is still a pig, physical buttons are still a thing, and QA is still non-existent.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung never ever said your phone getting hot was a symptom. Also it isn't just while charging. It is the battery, not charging.
This right here is what I am talking about. I have already talked to Samsung. Yes the recall on international is mandatory, but the U.S. is voluntary. Verizon says bring it in for a refund or keep it. Yes Samsung said that the phone would get really hot while charging causing the battery to catch fire and if my phone was not heating up while charging then the battery is more than likely not the one in question. I think Samsung telling me what my phone will do if it has this bad battery and what it won't is more than enough for me to go on. The suspect batteries are in phones and they don't know which ones they are. They just want to trade them all out to be safe. Verizon is also not issuing a mandatory recall either. Let's see Samsung tells me it's ok, Verizon says I can have a refund, or wait and see if Samsung sends new phones and Verizon will swap then. This is being blown way out.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The multiple issues show why I don't go with samsuck any more. Mind you, last Samsuck phone I owned was the OG note, but to date, I still resent it. Sure, the S-Pen is absolutely great... for the few apps that take full advantage of it (most of them Samsucks built in bloatware) but touchwiz was a train wrecks and an eye sore. My note would also randomly get it's radio to hang leaving my without coverage until I reset it.

I see that things have not changed much, TW is still a pig, physical buttons are still a thing, and QA is still non-existent.

There aren't multiple issues and this issue isn't even Samsung. It is a contractor that made the battery cells.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung just isn't going to do that. Personally I think the problem is far more reaching than Samsung is saying publicly but that is my hunch.

My granny taught me something years ago.. Actions speak louder than words.

I'm watching Samsung's actions.. They don't just replace all and stop releases and sales, lose tons of money, just to not inconvenience customers.

I don't care if the head of all of Samsung told me my phone wasn't a danger.. I would exchange it.
You are more than likely correct... Good point...

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
So what exactly do current Note 7 do?

Is it only exchange for another phone or are we actually all getting new phones if we don't exchange?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This right here is what I am talking about. I have already talked to Samsung. Yes the recall on international is mandatory, but the U.S. is voluntary. Verizon says bring it in for a refund or keep it. Yes Samsung said that the phone would get really hot while charging causing the battery to catch fire and if my phone was not heating up while charging then the battery is more than likely not the one in question. I think Samsung telling me what my phone will do if it has this bad battery and what it won't is more than enough for me to go on. The suspect batteries are in phones and they don't know which ones they are. They just want to trade them all out to be safe. Verizon is also not issuing a mandatory recall either. Let's see Samsung tells me it's ok, Verizon says I can have a refund, or wait and see if Samsung sends new phones and Verizon will swap then. This is being blown way out.
The recall is worldwide. The head of ALL OF SAMSUNG said that. All phones mean all.

You are getting uniformed Samsung reps. Probably Dominican Republic reps I'll bet $50 on that.

There is no such thing as "mandatory recall" for consumers. We aren't Iran, no one can take your personal property.

The recall is voluntary for Samsung. They are doing it, no government is making them.

All means all, I do not understand people refusing a better, free phone.

Would you ignore a safety recall on your car?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Link me where Samsung said the battery will get hot if it is a problem.

Don't tell me what some phone rep said, I want a statement from Samsung. Otherwise it is useless and untrue.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Look when Verizon says they have me a new note 7 I will swap it. All I am saying is Verizon has told me that I do not need to give up my phone until Samsung tells them to swap them all out. There were 2 battery makers and one failed. The other battery maker had no issue. People need to chill. Remember the exploding iPhones? Well we all lived through that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Look when Verizon says they have me a new note 7 I will swap it. All I am saying is Verizon has told me that I do not need to give up my phone until Samsung tells them to swap them all out. There were 2 battery makers and one failed. The other battery maker had no issue. People need to chill. Remember the exploding iPhones? Well we all lived through that.

Well they lied. They don't have phones to swap them out.

There was a battery cell maker, Samsung makes the batteries at two locations.

It was the battery cell contractor.

The exploding iPhones was not like this or else this wouldn't be the unprecedented thing that it is.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
The National News claimed Samsung would provide new phones to providers in a couple of weeks. If true and I had known before returning mine I may have kept it. Still, I find it hard to believe that Samsung could solve the problems build all new phones in 2 weeks. If there are new phones in 2 weeks any improvement will just be software imo
Don't think that is correct. They know the actual battery manufacturer just not sure which batches hit which market, other than the China launch, which is continuing because they are exclusively using a different manufacturer there. Seems not to hard to me (except for supply chain nightmares) to switch to installing the good batteries in the current manufacturing line and collect up the suspects. They sure will have one whale of a refurb inventory for warranty replacements and refurb sales - expect a flood in January...

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So.....how is everyone's day? Ok? Good lol. Need some chill pills? I got some lol. Just playing. *runs and hides before I get beat up thru the internet*😜😊

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Who is Verizon?

I think you mean some person at the very bottom of the totem pole told you something. What he told you happens to be the opposite of what Samsung's and Verizon's official stance and customer information say.

Feel free to take the word of the phone sales or telephone support person over the word of the people who designed, engineered and built the damn thing. Just don't pretend it's not a real thing, because the only people who would know have said it is.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Who is Verizon?

I think you mean some person at the very bottom of the totem pole told you something. What he told you happens to be the opposite of what Samsung's and Verizon's official stance and customer information say.

Feel free to take the word of the phone sales or telephone support person over the word of the people who designed, engineered and built the damn thing. Just don't pretend it's not a real thing, because the only people who would know have said it is.
That's what I don't get.. If the people that made it say "give it back there is danger and I will give you a new one" I'm taking their word over a person that can't even fix a bill problem.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what I don't get.. If the people that made it say "give it back there is danger and I will give you a new one" I'm taking their word over a person that can't even fix a bill problem.
Funny you mention that. When I returned my N7 and all accessories they couldn't find one of the vzw usb c fast charge car cords in my bill. Receipt was not itemized, just a price. I explained 6 times. SIX FRIGGIN TIMES that I returned the Zagg screen protector for one of the cords. Just a swap. The kid who took it back failed to do it properly in their system. Took 10 minutes to return and get credit card credit back on phone, case, 1 car cord, 1 micro usb to usb c coversion plug, and turn on my Note 3 and turn off Note 7. Took 40 minutes to get $26 credit on my account for other cord. He just couldn't grasp what was done (Zagg returned for Cord). 3 times he asked his manager HOW to do it and manager blew him off, just wouldn't help the man. Meantime my teeth are floating and they won't let me use their rest room. 40 minutes to get $26 credit! I even suggested just pretend I am returning the Zagg! Nope need the right code for return.

Now the manager and the guy both grilled me about whether I was returning due to battery problems. I explained it did not and you could tell because phone hadn't exploded. They didn't appreciate my sense of humor. They acted like they could not understand why I wanted to return the phone if I had no battery problems.

I had to run to the food court to avoid rupturing my bladder.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Funny you mention that. When I returned my N7 and all accessories they couldn't find one of the vzw usb c fast charge car cords in my bill. Receipt was not itemized, just a price. I explained 6 times. SIX FRIGGIN TIMES that I returned the Zagg screen protector for one of the cords. Just a swap. The kid who took it back failed to do it properly in their system. Took 10 minutes to return and get credit card credit back on phone, case, 1 car cord, 1 micro usb to usb c coversion plug, and turn on my Note 3 and turn off Note 7. Took 40 minutes to get $26 credit on my account for other cord. He just couldn't grasp what was done (Zagg returned for Cord). 3 times he asked his manager HOW to do it and manager blew him off, just wouldn't help the man. Meantime my teeth are floating and they won't let me use their rest room. 40 minutes to get $26 credit! I even suggested just pretend I am returning the Zagg! Nope need the right code for return.

Now the manager and the guy both grilled me about whether I was returning due to battery problems. I explained it did not and you could tell because phone hadn't exploded. They didn't appreciate my sense of humor. They acted like they could not understand why I wanted to return the phone if I had no battery problems.

I had to run to the food court to avoid rupturing my bladder.

Exactly.. These are carrier reps, even Samsung reps are giving false info and not understanding this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Everything that needs to be said on this topic seems to have been said.

If you want to return the device, do so. If you want to exchange it for the replacement, do so. There are no other good options. If you have questions about how to return or exchange, we have carrier specific threads to help out with that.

If you don't want to return it, obviously your call but keep it to yourself. Any person deciding for themselves to be foolish is just an exercise of free will. Spreading that risk on to others is irresponsible.

If you think it's funny to spread misinformation, such as using slow charging, only using stock cables and or limiting charging time - those things will have no ability to help if your device is defective. It's not funny so please stop.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.