09-04-2016 12:57 PM
34 12
tools
    You do realize that Samsung doesn't just make phones, right? They also make other phones besides Notes and S series. As well as other electronic equipment for other companies.
    And Fridges, and TVs, and washer dryers...mobile might be hurt a little, but from what I see here, those of us who love the Note, love it, and are willing to cut Samsung a little slack, especially since they seem to be on top of this.
    Serkle K, Carlo Villa and rsmin like this.
    09-03-2016 01:25 PM
    For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.
    Not true at all. Advanced manufacturers can make very significant changes in a matter of hours. And it is not clear that this is a very significant change. If they have multiple suppliers of the same part and one supplier's part is defective, it is fairly easy to make the needed changes.
    donm527, Carlo Villa and rsmin like this.
    09-03-2016 01:38 PM
    You mean replaced on machines that did not leave the factory and into dealers stores right? If so I can't imagine they had a huge stock sitting in factory... Apple ships iPhones the moment made from China to stores within days.

They are not getting unopened stock back from dealers and replacing the batteries and reshipping as new.
    Correct... the devices that have not been shipped (the reason for the original halt in shipments) and even the devices that have been shipped for retail stock, have all been pulled and presumably are being sent back to Samsung.

Devices that have not moved to retailers, as of Sept 2. are supposed to have been fitted with the new battery to replace the faulty batteries. Basically anything still in the process of building or in factories would have new batteries as of Sept. 2.
    09-03-2016 01:48 PM
    For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.
    Samsung has factories.

I'm thinking many people here have never been inside a factory before. This isn't an unusual question at all on here.

Factories mass produce and have high number production requirements. They aren't building each phone one by one and they only need the new batteries which were probably made the first of this week.

They literally have boxes and boxes of phone parts made.
    Serkle K, Carlo Villa and rsmin like this.
    09-03-2016 01:55 PM
    My phone was manufactured on July 27 and in my hands August 18, so yeah, they can do it in a matter of weeks.
    I've seen one that was like 8/11 and they had it 8/18.
    09-03-2016 01:56 PM
    But a million of them? Made in Korea / China or wherever and shipped to distributors?
    And Vietnam. Every place can be on a plane an in the US in 24 hours or less.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-03-2016 01:57 PM
    And Vietnam. Every place can be on a plane an in the US in 24 hours or less.
    Just like lobsters from Maine overnight in Las Vegas
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-03-2016 02:52 PM
    They literally have boxes and boxes of phone parts made.
    This ^

It costs about the same to make 1 unit as it does to make a full run. Depending on the equipment, that could be as high as 10,000 units. Since it means reprogramming and reconfiguring the assembly line when you make a new part, they will make multiple runs until they have made enough to fill their total sales estimate.

The cost of the glass and metal and components is not a factor, and they will have most every part for every Note 7 that they will ever sell sitting in a box on a pallet in a warehouse. It's cheaper to recycle the material for the ones that don't sell than it is to not make them all at once.

And for the record, Samsung is also a defense contractor. Chances are they make enough money building things to kill people that they can lose money on every other department and still be very profitable.
    Carlo Villa, libra89 and Law2138 like this.
    09-03-2016 03:11 PM
    Samsung is a great company. They will overcome this. I am a very long time Samsung consumer. This will not haunt my use

Posted via the Android Central App
    Carlo Villa and rsmin like this.
    09-04-2016 12:57 PM
34 12