09-04-2016 12:57 PM
34 12
tools
    For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.
    09-03-2016 10:07 AM
    For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.
    My phone was manufactured on July 27 and in my hands August 18, so yeah, they can do it in a matter of weeks.
    09-03-2016 10:13 AM
    Approximately 3 days. Why do you feel 4 weeks is too short? Moto's factory can get a device custom built and shipped, etc. within 72 hours.
    09-03-2016 10:14 AM
    They're not "making new phones" They have replaced the faulty batteries, and are shipping new devices with the new batteries.
    09-03-2016 10:20 AM
    But a million of them? Made in Korea / China or wherever and shipped to distributors?
    09-03-2016 10:32 AM
    But a million of them? Made in Korea / China or wherever and shipped to distributors?
    Most of the ones they have to repair aren't going to be coming from consumers, they'll be unsold stock that is being transferred back and written down by the retailers. The number they actually have to replace for people exchanging right away will be much smaller. And yes, you can kick out lots and lots of devices when all you're doing is assembly with no design changes.
    toenail_flicker and Serkle K like this.
    09-03-2016 10:38 AM
    This is about business and the public view of them. IF they don't do this and do it fast, they would lose face publicly, go out of business even more quickly, and possibly face untold lawsuits (class action?). This has to be done quickly and they know it. And the faster they do it, the more face they save.
    09-03-2016 11:00 AM
    09-03-2016 11:01 AM
    This is about business and the public view of them. IF they don't do this and do it fast, they would lose face publicly, go out of business even more quickly, and possibly face untold lawsuits (class action?). This has to be done quickly and they know it. And the faster they do it, the more face they save.
    Lol they will not go out of business, Samsung is a huge company.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:03 AM
    Lol they will not go out of business, Samsung is a huge company.
    Oh, they could. It has happened to others. Class action suits will take a company down quickly. NO one is too big to fail. Lots of historical examples. Think back to 2007 in the US and the biggies that had to be bailed out. And, heaven forbid they do fail because I love their products, they have been having issues financially. This will deal a big blow as it is.
    09-03-2016 11:08 AM
    With the iPhone 7 coming out, that will take over publicity. If a customer doesn't return the phone and something happens, it's the customers fault.

I think Samsung will do this fast, but we're talking millions of new batteries and phones being made. I didn't get a chance to get one, so I'm going to waiting even longer.
    09-03-2016 11:09 AM
    Oh, they could. It has happened to others. Class action suits will take a company down quickly. NO one is too big to fail. Lots of historical examples. Think back to 2007 in the US and the biggies that had to be bailed out. And, heaven forbid they do fail because I love their products, they have been having issues financially. This will deal a big blow as it is.
    Samsung Mobile could conceivably be hurt, probably not by this, but in general it's not out of the realm of possibility. Any negative impact to Samsung Mobile will have very little impact on the Samsung Companies as a whole.
    09-03-2016 11:12 AM
    You do realize that Samsung doesn't just make phones, right? They also make other phones besides Notes and S series. As well as other electronic equipment for other companies.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:12 AM
    You mean replaced on machines that did not leave the factory and into dealers stores right? If so I can't imagine they had a huge stock sitting in factory... Apple ships iPhones the moment made from China to stores within days.

They are not getting unopened stock back from dealers and replacing the batteries and reshipping as new.

They're not "making new phones" They have replaced the faulty batteries, and are shipping new devices with the new batteries.
    09-03-2016 11:17 AM
    FYI....Samsung = Products: Apparel, chemicals, consumer electronics, electronic components, medical equipment, semiconductors, ships, telecommunications equipment

Services: Advertising, construction, entertainment, financial services, hospitality, information and communications technology, medical and health care services, retail, shipbuilding
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:18 AM
    FYI....Samsung = Products: Apparel, chemicals, consumer electronics, electronic components, medical equipment, semiconductors, ships, telecommunications equipment

Services: Advertising, construction, entertainment, financial services, hospitality, information and communications technology, medical and health care services, retail, shipbuilding
    Didn't realize there was that much. The last few months I've seen commercials on tv for their refrigerators and washers and driers. Mostly those. But I knew about a few others items.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:21 AM
    You do realize that Samsung doesn't just make phones, right? They also make other phones besides Notes and S series. As well as other electronic equipment for other companies.
    I get that. I do. They have been having financial issues overall for a while and done a lot of reorganizing since the patriarch died.
    09-03-2016 11:22 AM
    Didn't realize there was that much. The last few months I've seen commercials on tv for their refrigerators and washers and driers. Mostly those. But I knew about a few others items.
    Samsung Consrruction built the tallest skyscraper on earth !!!

The 2,717 tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai has been the tallest building in the world since 2008.

09-03-2016 11:33 AM
    Most of the ones they have to repair aren't going to be coming from consumers, they'll be unsold stock that is being transferred back and written down by the retailers. The number they actually have to replace for people exchanging right away will be much smaller. And yes, you can kick out lots and lots of devices when all you're doing is assembly with no design changes.
    Would have been nice if screens were more scratch resistant on new ones.
    09-03-2016 12:26 PM
    Would have been nice if screens were more scratch resistant on new ones.
    Agree but I don't think we'll see that change on this model. Hopefully that's on radar for the S8 if it's not already too late.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-03-2016 12:27 PM
    No basis for class action suit if only 35 blew up and others are replaced.
    09-03-2016 12:28 PM
    Well I hope they didn't form the curved Windows using Gorilla Glass 5

Samsung Consrruction built the tallest skyscraper on earth !!!

The 2,717 tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai has been the tallest building in the world since 2008.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...07b3113ec9.jpg
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-03-2016 01:09 PM
    My phone was manufactured on July 27 and in my hands August 18, so yeah, they can do it in a matter of weeks.
    Mine manufactured August 9 and in my hands August 19
    09-03-2016 01:14 PM
    Actually, Samsung is ginormous. Samsung Mobile is just one of the many sub-divisions of divisions of the Samsung group. Here are some of the Samsung divisions.
    • Samsung Electronics
    • Samsung C&T Corporation
    • Samsung Heavy Industries
    • Samsung SDS
    • Samsung Life Insurance
    • Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance

And the Electronics division has quite a few.
    • Samsung Display
    • Samsung Mobile
    • Samsung Semiconductor

Yes, this will hurt Samsung's mobile profits. But the entire company is just too damn big to fall now.

Mine manufactured August 9 and in my hands August 19
    Mine was manufactured on the 8th of August. Got into my hands on the 18th.
    09-03-2016 01:16 PM
    Completely and totally False. There have been documented cases of MASSIVE recalls and billions paid to do it without failure to the company.

Look at VW. You know what happened there right and how they are handling EVERY VW sold over 3 years that they doctored emissions on right?
    09-03-2016 01:16 PM
34 12