FYI: once an official recall is declared through the US CPSC resales will be illegal

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If you're thinking of hanging into your note 7, when (probably in a few weeks) the recall is announced by the CPSC selling your recalled phone will be technically illegal. Which is a super fast way to get a PayPal claim opened up against you as well.

In other words if you keep your phone it's essentially worthless.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
With all of the US protection laws that are being tossed about... yes, this one is actually true. Most of the rest are BS.

In addition, until the US CPSC formalizes the recall and the resolution (likely early next week) we will not see any replacement units distributed in the US.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
With all of the US protection laws that are being tossed about... yes, this one is actually true. Most of the rest are BS.

In addition, until the US CPSC formalizes the recall and the resolution (likely early next week) we will not see any replacement units distributed in the US.
It isn't going through that as if now. It is a voluntary recall and the South Korean government isn't happy about that either. They are looking into getting involved.

FYI the government getting involved here will slow down the process.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Even if it wasn't illegal I don't get people that refuse to replace their device. I get all the time and energy spent into setting up the new device as well as not experiencing any problems but it's not worth the risk. Resale value would tank and many people wouldn't take a chance on purchasing a device you tell them you got on launch day. Not good from a safety or business perspective.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it either. If the maker of the phone tells me it is dangerous and they want to give me a new one, I'm going to listen.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't get it either. If the maker of the phone tells me it is dangerous and they want to give me a new one, I'm going to listen.

Exactly. There's no reason not to swap out for a "new" Note 7 when they're available other than the minor inconvenience of needing to re-set up the phone; and when I say minor... it really is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. There's no reason not to swap out for a "new" Note 7 when they're available other than the minor inconvenience of needing to re-set up the phone; and when I say minor... it really is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.
Yeah losing an eye or having skin grafts or setting up your phone again. I'll take the setup.

Also team members here at Android Central.. We get tired of setting up our phone again, but it isn't usually until about the 20th or 30th time after testing things lol

For me setting up a phone might just be a day that ends in Y.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah losing an eye or having skin grafts or setting up your phone again. I'll take the setup.

Also team members here at Android Central.. We get tired of setting up our phone again, but it isn't usually until about the 20th or 30th time after testing things lol

For me setting up a phone might just be a day that ends in Y.

Oy! I hadn't even thought about the number of times actual team members might need to setup a phone for various reasons (or various phones). Good point.
For everyone else (read: the average consumer), our point still stands -- Swap out your current Note 7 for the "new" Note 7s once they're in. Or return it altogether. Or exchange it for a different phone. Just don't do ... nothing at all and continue to use the current Note 7 as is even if it's seemingly fine. It's not worth the risk, the worry, or the uncertainty.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not that hard to set up a new phone just remember passwords!'there are appsmy hat bac it all up lol
I don't recommend back up for setting up new phones. Any time you copy over, something can go wrong. Generally phones don't like you copying settings over. I find phone issues can pop up with copying over.

I broke my rule a couple of weeks ago with my Note 5 and used Smart Switch. I now have the media server bug and have been stuck on the splash screen and it took 30 mins to reboot my phone.

I'm now waiting on my Note 7 and a warranty replacement Note 5.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
And just how is anyone going to know which Note 7 is a recalled model or not? :-\
What other ways can we twist this mess?

There in lies the rub! I have faith that Samsung will only supply fixed phones from here on out, and I have faith the carriers have already scrapped previous defective Note 7s and will only sell those they receive in the coming weeks that are fixed. Yea, maybe that's naiveté , but the alternative is excessively worrying about it and as grand as the Note 7 is, there isn't a single phone that's worth (us) stressing about it. I'm just hoping the exchange process will be painless.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And just how is anyone going to know which Note 7 is a recalled model or not? :-\
What other ways can we twist this mess?
I have an easy way for you to tell if it is a recalled unit. It is foolproof.

Do you own a Note 7 right now and it is not one that was just released in China on Sept 2, 2016?

No: You are fine, no recall.

Yes: Your phone has been recalled.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Its pretty simple if you check the manufacturer date on the phone. Dont know how to do that? Go to the play store and download "phone info samsung"

See how easy that was?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
My response is for people wondering down the road how will people know if you have a fixed version or not. Everyone has a recalled one now but if people dont think you can find out in 6 months then they are mistaken.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My response is for people wondering down the road how will people know if you have a fixed version or not. Everyone has a recalled one now but if people dont think you can find out in 6 months then they are mistaken.
That will eventually be an issue, especially if people buy used ones. That is something that will need to be checked.

Of course if Samsung exchanges those.. Some people are going to pay used phone price and get a new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1