Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Reducing the resolution to 16:9 format is a waste. Just take the pictures in 12MP 4:3 then crop. Same difference.

Maybe I'm missing something so if you or someone can clarify then awesome. But what benefits is it to shoot 4:3 and crop to 16:9 instead of just setting it to shoot at 16:9?

Right in the settings it shows the resolution width is identical to 4:3 is just cuts down the height. To fit the aspect ratio. So it's to my understanding that I'm not losing any quality to the photo, I'm just not seeing as much of the image which would happen when I crop it anyways.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something so if you or someone can clarify then awesome. But what benefits is it to shoot 4:3 and crop to 16:9 instead of just setting it to shoot at 16:9?

Right in the settings it shows the resolution width is identical to 4:3 is just cuts down the height. To fit the aspect ratio. So it's to my understanding that I'm not losing any quality to the photo, I'm just not seeing as much of the image which would happen when I crop it anyways.

You answered your own question. If you want the 16:9 look, you can crop a 4:3 on the top or bottom. If you shoot in 16:9, what you see is what you get.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You answered your own question. If you want the 16:9 look, you can crop a 4:3 on the top or bottom. If you shoot in 16:9, what you see is what you get.
This. Totally agree, it's one more option/chance to get the best photo possible.

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For the raw files - I couldn't find a setting to switch to that. Does it do the switch automatically when you use Pro Mode, i.e. do you get both raw and jpg?I only just got the phone, set it up and then it was recalled. LOL Doing all my playing on this one. Thanks.
In the camera settings, there should be an option to save a .DNG along with a .JPG.

Enable that.