What will Samsung Need to do to regain customer confidence in the N7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Remember how Samsung is known for taking shots at Apple in marketing its phones? Even though it would be tacky and totally out of character, I think it would be funny to see Apple mention something about batteries with its iPhone 7.
I wouldn't want them to do that, though.

It makes it look as if they're making fun of the misery of others for the sake of advertising and sales, which is never cool.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want them to do that, though.

It makes it look as if they're making fun of the misery of others for the sake of advertising and sales, which is never cool.

True. Never looked at it that way. It is unfortunate, and I hope no one gets hurt or experiences a loss by a faulty battery. BTW, Samsung has removed advertisement of the Note 7 on their site. It can be found by searching though.

jabloomf1230

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: My Samsung Confidence is at an All Time Low

They are not doing it for your safety. They are doing to prevent lawsuits in case someone gets hurt and for damage control to save their name.
Absolutely. Out of 2.5M phones only a few dozen "caught fire". The risk to the consumer is very small, but the risk to the company is very high. This fiasco is a consequence of bigger hi res screens and the non-removable battery needed to keep it running.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
True. Never looked at it that way. It is unfortunate, and I hope no one gets hurt or experiences a loss by a faulty battery. BTW, Samsung has removed advertisement of the Note 7 on their site. It can be found by searching though.
It would probably be best that Samsung focus their attention on resolving this issue and ensuring that customers get their replacements in the least inconvenient way possible before refocusing their efforts on selling them and also restoring consumer confidence.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It would probably be best that Samsung focus their attention on resolving this issue and ensuring that customers get their replacements in the least inconvenient way possible before refocusing their efforts on selling them and also restoring consumer confidence.

Agreed, because it's the current owners that share their experiences with others. They'll be the ones that comment on the device and speak to what Samsung has done to right the issue. Once the new stock is back with the carriers and retail locations, the sales staff will need to reassure potential buyers that the issue no longer exists. I would expect staff to be specifically trained/educated on how to answer questions about the battery issue.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, because it's the current owners that share their experiences with others. They'll be the ones that comment on the device and speak to what Samsung has done to right the issue. Once the new stock is back with the carriers and retail locations, the sales staff will need to reassure potential buyers that the issue no longer exists. I would expect staff to be specifically trained/educated on how to answer questions about the battery issue.
Absolutely. That's how Samsung should resolve it, and they seem to be doing that.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
What would really be ironic is for the many of us who are keeping our Notes until the news ones come in is if they lower the price on them soon once they go back on sale.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in TX too and the Blue Bell recall was a huge deal. And you couldn't get it anywhere. It was the right call, but phew. I love that ice cream.
I think I was the only Texan not going crazy over the blue bell recall. Lol Seriously I agree that was a huge recall . Blue bell lost a lot and many people who depended on the work from the factory lost as well. If blue bell could come back from that then Samsung will be fine.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I was the only Texan not going crazy over the blue bell recall. Lol Seriously I agree that was a huge recall . Blue bell lost a lot and many people who depended on the work from the factory lost as well. If blue bell could come back from that then Samsung will be fine.
We dealt with it here in Alabama. We had the only plant running for a few months

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
For those talking about Samsung only did a recall because they don't want to get sued. You could be correct about that, but why does that matter? I don't care about their reasons for doing the recall. I care that they immediately recalled the device and didnt wait for months to do it or wait for more phones to explode before they took action.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Samsung, according to Consumer Reports, failed in the US to go through the Consumer Product Safety Commission before issuing the recall. The Consumer Product Safety Commision, a government organization having nothing to do with Samsung or Consumer Reports,, would insure that any safety issues are fixed in replacements. These issues may go beyond the faulty battery, reported to the public.

My confidence in Samsung and the N7 would be completely restored if this impartial government organization was overseeing the exchange. Furthermore, if warnings were necessary to immediately stop using the non exchanged phones, this commission would insure this happens.

While Samsung deserves credit for owning up to producing some faulty phones and recalling all the N7's, I agree with Consumer Reports. Samsung needs to do more to insure customer saftey and confidence, by allowing the CPSC to supervise the recall and exchange for a safe phone.

While most of us trust that Samsung could continue to do this exchange themselves, it would be reassuring to others that Samsung is allowing this independent oversight. Besides, that's the law in the U.S. that Samsung does it this way.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Heavy discounts on new prices.

Let's face it, this will have implications on second hand values too.

Come resell time folks will want proof that the phone in question is safe ie. not first generation.

I forsee problems.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
There will be no price drop.

No fire sale
Lol

Maybe next year when now 8 comes out.

Demand is extremely high for note 7. Much higher then sammy ever dreamed

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

It will be "oh these are the new all new fresh batteries, no worries". Then customer will say ok cool !

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think Samsung has to rethink strategy of rushing a phone to release before the next iPhone. Think about all the combining factors of the Note 7. You have a major innovation like the iris scanner. You have the technical difficulty of waterproofing a device with an S Pen. You are producing exclusively a curved display.

And on top of that, you aim to release it almost 2 months before the iPhone. Something has to give. This is far too much technical innovation to be rushed into production.

The battery issue was the most serious by far but there were other issues. Easily scratched glass, inconsistent performance, random reboots etc.

Samsung's strategy backfired badly. Next time, take more time before release. If that means coming out the same time as a new iPhone or even a bit later, then so be it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you need something to give you confidence, this will.

"After the Galaxy Note 7 battery fiasco, Samsung Electronics has decided to temporarily stop using batteries from Samsung SDI in the Galaxy Note 7. This news comes straight out of the company’s homeland South Korea. Various analysts predict that the Galaxy Note 7 recall could cost Samsung as much as $1 billion.

Samsung SDI provides around 70 percent of batteries used in the Galaxy Note 7. The rest of them are supplied by Chinese battery manufacturer ATL. After reports of explosions in multiple Galaxy Note 7 units due to faulty batteries, Samsung had to recall over two million units.

Samsung is expected to increase the order of battery units from ATL for the rest of the Galaxy Note 7 devices. Samsung SDI stock price has dropped 2.76 percent after reports of faulty batteries. Samsung SDI reportedly started developing non-removable batteries back in 2014 but failed to offer the required number of units for the Galaxy S6 as rivals ATL and LG Chemicals fared better in supplying the stock."
Source: Batteries from Samsung SDI won’t be used in the Galaxy Note 7 temporarily - SamMobile

In short, most Note7s out there (ones you and I all have) use batteries made by Samsung SDI. Apparently, those batteries are the ones combusting. China's Note7s use a different battery, one made by ATL, which is apparently unfazed by this incident. As a result, until Samsung SDI is able to rectify any faults with their manufacturing process, the first few batches of the post-recall Note7s will feature batteries made by ATL.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung has to rethink strategy of rushing a phone to release before the next iPhone. Think about all the combining factors of the Note 7. You have a major innovation like the iris scanner. You have the technical difficulty of waterproofing a device with an S Pen. You are producing exclusively a curved display.

And on top of that, you aim to release it almost 2 months before the iPhone. Something has to give. This is far too much technical innovation to be rushed into production.

The battery issue was the most serious by far but there were other issues. Easily scratched glass, inconsistent performance, random reboots etc.

Samsung's strategy backfired badly. Next time, take more time before release. If that means coming out the same time as a new iPhone or even a bit later, then so be it.

I really don't think the N7 was rushed to market. First of all the last Note was released around the same time last year. So it is on its usual annual schedule like most other phones. Furthermore, except for the iris scanner, most of the new technology was carried forward into the N7 from the S7E released last spring, the only major difference being making the N7 water resistant with its spen opening. While that couldn't be so simply accomplished, Samsung did that very well.

What is most disturbing about the battery issue is there is no new technology going on here. Safeguards against battery malfunction or mal charging, perhaps, didn't work they way they should. This should be fundamental old technology. Why it went wrong could be the result of faulty materials, or just a faulty battery contractors, but certainly not because of some new design, unless corners were cut in an old design. I doubt the latter, but hopefully, assuming the Consumer Product Safety Commision gets involved, we may eventually know everything that went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira