What will Samsung Need to do to regain customer confidence in the N7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung, according to Consumer Reports, failed in the US to go through the Consumer Product Safety Commission before issuing the recall. The Consumer Product Safety Commision, a government organization having nothing to do with Samsung or Consumer Reports,, would insure that any safety issues are fixed in replacements. These issues may go beyond the faulty battery, reported to the public.

My confidence in Samsung and the N7 would be completely restored if this impartial government organization was overseeing the exchange. Furthermore, if warnings were necessary to immediately stop using the non exchanged phones, this commission would insure this happens.

While Samsung deserves credit for owning up to producing some faulty phones and recalling all the N7's, I agree with Consumer Reports. Samsung needs to do more to insure customer saftey and confidence, by allowing the CPSC to supervise the recall and exchange for a safe phone.

While most of us trust that Samsung could continue to do this exchange themselves, it would be reassuring to others that Samsung is allowing this independent oversight. Besides, that's the law in the U.S. that Samsung does it this way.

And why would it take this to restore your confidence?

This is a voluntary recall, this group is when people do not take care of consumers, like Toyota didn't. This is for when they have to be forced into a recall.

Exactly what tells you that the government getting involved is going to help things? Samsung is doing the exchange quicker than our government could have done. Now when they exchange is done, then they can issue a recall to stop all sales by individuals.

If you need the US government to restore your confidence in Samsung, then you won't restore your confidence. Samsung is going above and beyond the US government.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung has to rethink strategy of rushing a phone to release before the next iPhone. Think about all the combining factors of the Note 7. You have a major innovation like the iris scanner. You have the technical difficulty of waterproofing a device with an S Pen. You are producing exclusively a curved display.

And on top of that, you aim to release it almost 2 months before the iPhone. Something has to give. This is far too much technical innovation to be rushed into production.

The battery issue was the most serious by far but there were other issues. Easily scratched glass, inconsistent performance, random reboots etc.

Samsung's strategy backfired badly. Next time, take more time before release. If that means coming out the same time as a new iPhone or even a bit later, then so be it.
I keep hearing about this rush..

Anyone have a cite for that?

The Note 7, released 8/19/2016.

The Note 5, released 8/21/2015.

Where is the rush?

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I keeps hearing about this rush..

Anyone have a cite for that?

The Note 7, released 8/19/2016.

The Note 5, released 8/21/2015.

Where is the rush?

There is no "rush" other than the normal annual cycle that they're aiming for. The Note 7 probably began its design/production cycle in mid to late 2015 and was no more rushed than any other particular device made on a deadline. Maybe the feeling is that phones ought to be made to release every two years, instead of annually?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Samsung, according to Consumer Reports, failed in the US to go through the Consumer Product Safety Commission before issuing the recall. The Consumer Product Safety Commision, a government organization having nothing to do with Samsung or Consumer Reports,, would insure that any safety issues are fixed in replacements. These issues may go beyond the faulty battery, reported to the public.

My confidence in Samsung and the N7 would be completely restored if this impartial government organization was overseeing the exchange. Furthermore, if warnings were necessary to immediately stop using the non exchanged phones, this commission would insure this happens.

While Samsung deserves credit for owning up to producing some faulty phones and recalling all the N7's, I agree with Consumer Reports. Samsung needs to do more to insure customer saftey and confidence, by allowing the CPSC to supervise the recall and exchange for a safe phone.

While most of us trust that Samsung could continue to do this exchange themselves, it would be reassuring to others that Samsung is allowing this independent oversight. Besides, that's the law in the U.S. that Samsung does it this way.

If I was a company and I didn't have to.
I wouldn't want to have to pay Consumer Product Safety.
The Government can't even govern itself or the people working in the Government.
Look at Hilary and what they have let her get away with.

Also Don't know else if better qualified than the carriers to do the exchanges, and transferring everything on the phones over.
Here Samsung only has places in Best Buy. And Samsung has even been taking a lot of Samsung Booths out of Best Buy lately.

If the battery was the problem and they are issuing new Note 7 with new batteries. That is great.
I would wish that they put the 6gb ram memory that was originally stated in the lies that was out that China got.
And I think China got the Faster processors too. That would also be nice.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Samsung Confidence is at an All Time Low

My note 7 and s2 working 100%, love em! They had a few battery issues and are making it right for the customer. What more can ya ask for?

Sammie has moved swiftly, transparently and openly - the Note 7 received strong reviews and was ahead of sales forecasts. The company has done and is doing everything it can, and should.

The Samsung response will be a template for case studies in business schools and corporate board rooms for years to come.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is no "rush" other than the normal annual cycle that they're aiming for. The Note 7 probably began its design/production cycle in mid to late 2015 and was no more rushed than any other particular device made on a deadline. Maybe the feeling is that phones ought to be made to release every two years, instead of annually?
Exactly, but there is this "Rush to beat Apple" I keep hearing about.

One Note a year.. SOP not a rush.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they rushed the Note.

In fact, the Note5 was the first time a Note wasn't announced at IFA, but slightly earlier. The Note7 almost has a full-year timeframe for planning, testing and manufacturing.

Since it's based on the hardware of the S7 line and the general design of the Note5 and S7 line, most of the time spent is probably on testing prototypes and software development.

If it's rushed, we'd have a Note every 6 months.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

The CPSC, just like any other government agency, can stick their nose into anything they want if they so choose. So far, they haven't. Maybe since our tax dollars pay for that commission, Americans should be upset with the government for not stepping in.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The CPSC, just like any other government agency, can stick their nose into anything they want if they so choose. So far, they haven't. Maybe since our tax dollars pay for that commission, Americans should be upset with the government for not stepping in.

I'd rather the Government Keep their nose out of everything.
The Government can't even manage their own people.
And for them to step in and manage my Smartphone being made.
No.
I want LESS government in my life.
Not more.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather the Government Keep their nose out of everything.
The Government can't even manage their own people.
And for them to step in and manage my Smartphone being made.
No.
I want LESS government in my life.
Not more.
The FCC certifies these devices so you aren't getting away from the government being involved in your cell phones.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The FCC certifies these devices so you aren't getting away from the government being involved in your cell phones.

So with the Government involved in the phones.

Look at how they have been involved in Government health insurance and tell me how good of a job they have done.

I'd rather that Samsung be left alone to make their phones. And the government not to be involved in the voluntary recall.
Just me.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Look at how they have been involved in Government health insurance and tell me how good of a job they have done.

I'd rather that Samsung be left alone to make their phones. And the government not to be involved in the voluntary recall.
Just me.
I never claimed they did a good job nor claimed that everyone should want more government. But the reality is, that's the current state of this country.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Just me.

Well you can't compare one agency to another.

There are pros and cons for the government being involved in a recall.

Yes the government should be involved AFTER this exchange is finished.

If the government is involved, it makes sales of the suspect ones illegal. No one gets scammed and stuck with a phone from eBay, Swappa, etc.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
The number of people with battery issues, like a death toll immediately following an earthquake, only would be going up without a recall. Samsung is trying to limit the aftershock damage, by getting all of these phones back as soon as possible, to avoid even more bad publicity and potential personal liability law suits. To those who already own and love the N7 or other Samsung products, you could be right that they will remain loyal to Samsung. However, there is no question that for others, it has had a negative impact. For example, there have been many loyal Iphone users who jumped the Apple ship, for the first time to get a N7. While initially happy, many are going back to Apple, instead of exchanging their N7, because of quality and reliability concerns that they didn't have with Apple.

Well how sad for them! Apple is a reliable product but boring as hell! And to proprietary. Samsung makes fabulous, reliable products too and this time when there was an issue they stepped up and recalled all the phones. Apple even did a recall a while back due to camera issues. Both are very good phones but I would hate to see someone return one of the greatest phones on the market to go back to a phone that is so dry it's unbelievable. But I think in an earlier post you said you never had a note 7 which might be why you don't understand what an outstanding phone it is and how far it truly surpasses Apple. (I'm coming from an Apple 6s+)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well how sad for them! Apple is a reliable product but boring as hell! And to proprietary. Samsung makes fabulous, reliable products too and this time when there was an issue they stepped up and recalled all the phones. Apple even did a recall a while back due to camera issues. Both are very good phones but I would hate to see someone return one of the greatest phones on the market to go back to a phone that is so dry it's unbelievable. But I think in an earlier post you said you never had a note 7 which might be why you don't understand what an outstanding phone it is and how far it truly surpasses Apple. (I'm coming from an Apple 6s+)
Well, that comes down to personal preference.

I don't mind if someone switches to iOS because chances are, they may prefer how iOS looks, feels and operates, which is totally fine.

I personally have a Note and an iPad. I really think Android and iOS have kinda matured as of late when it comes to mobile operating systems and while they are different in philosophy, I really don't have an issue using either as they both have their own share of pros and cons.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
And why would it take this to restore your confidence?

This is a voluntary recall, this group is when people do not take care of consumers, like Toyota didn't. This is for when they have to be forced into a recall.

Exactly what tells you that the government getting involved is going to help things? Samsung is doing the exchange quicker than our government could have done. Now when they exchange is done, then they can issue a recall to stop all sales by individuals.

If you need the US government to restore your confidence in Samsung, then you won't restore your confidence. Samsung is going above and beyond the US government.

According to Consumer Reports, not me, Samsung is required to report any recall to the CPSC that is potentially life threatening or could pose serious harm. This isn't voluntary reporting when danger to life or limb is involved. This is the law. While I failing to report this was an oversight on Samsung's part, they should now report this recall to show everyone, both Samsung supporters and naysayers, that they have nothing to hide.

It will do little or nothing to slow the recall. But it will insure we are issued any necessary warnings while waiting for the replacement phones. So far, Samsung hasnt done that. Furthermore, the CPSC will insure the replacements are safe ones. More importantly, by being totally open and allowing oversight, Samsung will, perhaps, gain back some of the confidence lost in this fiasco by showing they are doing everything possible, including impartial outside ocersight, to fix a serious issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
According to Consumer Reports, not me, Samsung is required to report any recall to the CPSC that is potentially life threatening or could pose serious harm. This isn't voluntary reporting when danger to life or limb is involved. This is the law. While I failing to report this was an oversight on Samsung's part, they should now report this recall to show everyone, both Samsung supporters and naysayers, that they have nothing to hide.

It will do little or nothing to slow the recall. But it will insure we are issued any necessary warnings while waiting for the replacement phones. So far, Samsung hasnt done that. Furthermore, the CPSC will insure the replacements are safe ones. More importantly, by being totally open and allowing oversight, Samsung will, perhaps, gain back some of the confidence lost in this fiasco by showing they are doing everything possible, including impartial outside ocersight, to fix a serious issue.

It will do everything to slow the recall. Voluntary recalls aren't unusual, most companies just don't care enough to do them. They have to be forced by the government.

The government isn't an impartial oversight at all. In fact impartial oversight comes from non-government agencies.

What warning do you need? You take a chance every time you use your phone. We shouldn't need some agency telling us what to do, we should be able to figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol