What will Samsung Need to do to regain customer confidence in the N7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
According to Consumer Reports, not me, Samsung is required to report any recall to the CPSC that is potentially life threatening or could pose serious harm. This isn't voluntary reporting when danger to life or limb is involved. This is the law. While I failing to report this was an oversight on Samsung's part, they should now report this recall to show everyone, both Samsung supporters and naysayers, that they have nothing to hide.

It will do little or nothing to slow the recall. But it will insure we are issued any necessary warnings while waiting for the replacement phones. So far, Samsung hasnt done that. Furthermore, the CPSC will insure the replacements are safe ones. More importantly, by being totally open and allowing oversight, Samsung will, perhaps, gain back some of the confidence lost in this fiasco by showing they are doing everything possible, including impartial outside ocersight, to fix a serious issue.

It wouldn't seem like they're allowing oversight though. It would seem like oversight is being imposed on them and they can't take responsibility. It may make you feel better, but I'm fairly confident that it would lower Samsung's standing. And it would make it slower, as then this independent body would have to take steps to ensure certain things before it could go on sale, which would take an indeterminate amount of time.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Well how sad for them! Apple is a reliable product but boring as hell! And to proprietary. Samsung makes fabulous, reliable products too and this time when there was an issue they stepped up and recalled all the phones. Apple even did a recall a while back due to camera issues. Both are very good phones but I would hate to see someone return one of the greatest phones on the market to go back to a phone that is so dry it's unbelievable. But I think in an earlier post you said you never had a note 7 which might be why you don't understand what an outstanding phone it is and how far it truly surpasses Apple. (I'm coming from an Apple 6s+)

You are right that I don't have a N7, but I do own and have loved a N3. Its time for an upgrade and had been looking forward to owning the N7, after having spent a lot of time with one. I didn't get my N3 until January, nearly 5 months after it was released. I always wait for early production problems to become ironed out. I have never owned a Iphone, nor do I want to.
I do understand what a great phone the N7 is and hope issues are fixed enough that I will buy one soon. Frankly, I am less concerned regarding this battery problem, which will be fixed, than I am with fragile edge screen and glass body, that may not get fixed until the N8. (Hopefully, Samsung will learn something from Apple who did away with the glass backs on their top phones. I can only hope Samsung does the same next year)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's funny... Samsung still has my support - I sit here with a Note 7, awaiting the replacement Note 7s, just being very careful when I charge it. I have no animosity or lack of faith in Samsung even though the issue affected 70% of 2.5 million phones - chit happens, especially when you've trusted someone else you obviously shouldn't have! I also, have no problems with any of the complaints that I see folks complaining about on this forum. I don't believe in the "beauty" of the phone, first of all - I always buy a rugged, ugly, heavy duty case for my phones to protect them! The rear glass is now a non-issue. I put a Bodyguardz Contour HD screen protector on it at the store also - now the front glass is a non-issue. I LOVE MY NOTE 7... now, just please don't burn up on me before I get you replaced? ;-)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You are right that I don't have a N7, but I do own and have loved a N3. Its time for an upgrade and had been looking forward to owning the N7, after having spent a lot of time with one. I didn't get my N3 until January, nearly 5 months after it was released. I always wait for early production problems to become ironed out. I have never owned a Iphone, nor do I want to.
I do understand what a great phone the N7 is and hope issues are fixed enough that I will buy one soon. Frankly, I am less concerned regarding this battery problem, which will be fixed, than I am with fragile edge screen and glass body, that may not get fixed until the N8. (Hopefully, Samsung will learn something from Apple who did away with the glass backs on their top phones. I can only hope Samsung does the same next year)
No glass backs have zero to do with this.

People screamed premium, they got premium. The only problem with glass backs for me is fingerprints but those show up on a lot.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
That and many people report lag issues, is gonna be the the final nail in the coffin of the Note 7.

It probably gonna sell good amount of units when it's back, but this time it will face the LG V20 and iPhone 7 directly, plus customers will be scared to buy Note 7 or any samsung product, even if they assured it was fixed.

What it can also do, and probably will, it can boost S7 Edge sales even more, since many prefer this phone over N7 or see it as it's main rival, at least until iPhone 7 will come out.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't the plastic backs to cheap looking.
We lost the SD cards. IR blaster and the removable battery.

Seems people got what they was complaining for.
And Samsung has said they will not go back to replaceable batteries again.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If you hate Samsung so much why are you on this forum? I'm done with this thread since you're just trying to stir up crap. Read the comments! The majority of them aren't buying the crap you're selling but their going to keep their N7. Go troll somewhere else! I can't stand it when people try to kick someone (or a company, brand) when they're down.

I am sorry you feel that way. There probably isn't anything I can say to change your feelings, other than to tell you I am a loyal Samsung customer. Thats why I am on this forum. I own a N3 and a Note Tablet (2014 edition). I love them both, but is time for an upgrade, now that there are no security updates for my phone. While I have yet to buy a N7, I am seriously considering it. I am pretty sure I would be as happy with the N7, as you are, but I do have concerns, foremost about its durability, particularly with reports of easily damaged glass, something I don't worry about now with the N3.

Unless I am mistaken, the N7 forum is for anybody who is considering an N7, which I am. It isn't just a love-in for those who already bought theirs. The reports here do show that there ARE more people that are happy with their purchase than aren't. However, at this point in the model year, there are probably more people on this forum who don't own the N7 than do. The phone has only been out a couple of weeks, you know. Not everyone is willing to jump on the band wagon the minute a new model comes out. (I didn't buy my N3 until mid year, waiting for all its initial problems were ironed out. I'll probably do the same, when I get the N7 later this year.)

Finally, I am not trying to kick Samsung when they are obviously down. I wouldn't be asking for suggestions how to restore confidence in Samsung, if I really didn't care. For you to deny that Samsung doesn't have a problem on their hands where you are concerned is certainly true. You have had no problems with your phone and still love it. Yet others, who have been waiting to buy one, especially after this battery issue, may need more time before they will take the plunge to buy one. While Samsung need not do anything to restore your confidence, others not yet owning the phone, may not feel the same.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It really comes down to seeing how quickly and efficiently Samsung is able to collect and replace the phones. That's the bottom line. The better this is handled, the quicker they can put this behind them and move on to the S8.

Non Samsung fans try to deny it, but at this point Samsung has just as loyal a fan base as Apple. Not as large in numbers, but loyal non the less.

It's about moving forward quickly, not staying mired in it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I never complained about the plastic back because I don't see it and it doesn't dent. I have two Notes with plastic backs and removable batteries. Love both. Love my N7 too. If it came with a plastic back I would be happier. I have to pay even more for insurance now just to have that extra bit of protection. Because this is my business phone it's a deduction, but rather not have to pay for it to begin with.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I never complained about the plastic back because I don't see it and it doesn't dent. I have two Notes with plastic backs and removable batteries. Love both. Love my N7 too. If it came with a plastic back I would be happier. I have to pay even more for insurance now just to have that extra bit of protection. Because this is my business phone it's a deduction, but rather not have to pay for it to begin with.

There's got to be a happy medium here. Doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
It wouldn't seem like they're allowing oversight though. It would seem like oversight is being imposed on them and they can't take responsibility. It may make you feel better, but I'm fairly confident that it would lower Samsung's standing. And it would make it slower, as then this independent body would have to take steps to ensure certain things before it could go on sale, which would take an indeterminate amount of time.

Of course we can disagree and I respect your opinion. However,
Samsung has already lost some standing in Consumer Reports eyes by not reporting the recall to the CPSC. Consumer Reports is a non for profit independent consumer advocate. Their criticism of the way Samsung is handling the recall can mean a lot to their readers, who don't necessarily own a Samsung product, like most of us do. Samsung's image with CRs readership, many potentially new customers, will be more adversely effected than with the people on this forum who are loyal Samsung owners.

The fear of slowing down the exchange is understandable. At the same time, if Samsung cranks out the replacements too quickly, and there are problems with these, what has been gained? Hopefully, the CPSC will insure it is done right, not that I am worried Samsung can't do it without them.

Besides complying with the law by reporting to the CPSC, Samsung's reputation with the general public, not just us here on AC, stands more to gain than lose at this point, I think.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
There's got to be a happy medium here. Doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

Well, Motorola figured out how to do that with the Z force. They put a plastic layer over the glass and guarantee it against breakage. Unfortunately, the plastic scratches easily, but I suppose it's possible to polish out some superficial scratches.

Still, I would rather own a Note.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has already lost some standing in Consumer Reports eyes by not reporting the recall to the CPSC. Consumer Reports is a non for profit independent consumer advocate. Their criticism of the way Samsung is handling the recall can mean a lot to their readers, who don't necessarily own a Samsung product, like most of us do. Samsung's image with CRs readership, many potentially new customers, will be more adversely effected than with the people on this forum who are loyal Samsung owners.

The fear of slowing down the exchange is understandable. At the same time, if Samsung cranks out the replacements too quickly, and there are problems with these, what has been gained? Hopefully, the CPSC will insure it is done right, not that I am worried Samsung can't do it without them.

Besides complying with the law by reporting to the CPSC, Samsung's reputation with the general public, not just us here on AC, stands more to gain than lose at this point, I think.
Cr's readership means nothing in the face of Samsung being imposed by a national authority to recall all of their Galaxy note 7's. It just isn't comparable. Being slowed down by bureaucracy wouldn't help people wanting their devices, and would harm Samsung in the face of the iPhone 7, and would severely impede their ability to deal with this quickly and decisively, the two things needed to restore confidence. If they did what you wanted, then instead we would be in a situation where Samsung doesn't look responsible and is being forced by a national authority because they can't sort it out themselves, and there would be long delays which would make it seem even worse.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Consumer Reports, doubt Samsung cares at this point.

Not doing a government recall is no reason for Consumer Reports to trash Samsung. Ignoring a known problem however, I'd and Samsung did the opposite.

Since when is government intervention the answer to a problem? Government intervention should be there when needed, not the first thing.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
What warning do you need? You take a chance every time you use your phone. We shouldn't need some agency telling us what to do, we should be able to figure that out.

What you are saying is true. Many people are against government imposed safety regulations or warnings of any kind. For example, many people are opposed to seat belt laws or texting while driving laws. They just want to take their risks and do their own thing.

On this forum, I see people who don't want to do the phone exchange, just because they haven't experienced any problem with their N7, yet. Although it is just common sense that tells most of us, if Samsung is issuing a recall on all these phones, there must be some risk if you choose to continue to using the phone. I am not sure if the exchange refusers are missing common sense and need a more explicit warnings and directions from Samsung, or if they are the same people who never wear seat belts and just trust their luck.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Cr's readership means nothing in the face of Samsung being imposed by a national authority to recall all of their Galaxy note 7's. It just isn't comparable. Being slowed down by bureaucracy wouldn't help people wanting their devices, and would harm Samsung in the face of the iPhone 7, and would severely impede their ability to deal with this quickly and decisively, the two things needed to restore confidence. If they did what you wanted, then instead we would be in a situation where Samsung doesn't look responsible and is being forced by a national authority because they can't sort it out themselves, and there would be long delays which would make it seem even worse.

In other words, are you saying that Samsung has a good excuse to be uncompliant with a federal law?

While I completely understand and agree with your reasoning, I doubt any excuse will fly, should Samsung totally ignore reporting to the CPSC. The recall is in the national news and not just here or in Consumer Reports. So, by now, you would think the CPSC has to know about it. Perhaps in the face of CRs criticism, Samsung will formally report to the CPSC tomorrow after this Labor Day weekend. In any case, I doubt Samsung will escape the CPSC getting involved, although you could hope. I do understand your point of view, but unless we can change a law, I think we are supposed to adhere to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar