Zack from JerryRig explains why the Note7 battery may explode.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re: Another (possible) Note 7 burnt up in Massachusetts

shoot im taking my memory card out now just in case...
yea yea not the most important thing to worry about. but to me everything can be replaced except the memories.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

These phones are all ticking time bombs. They all have a design fault that goes beyond the battery. They are missing voltage protection that wouldn't allow a faulty battery to overheat and catch fire. Every day more reports will surface as long as these phones are allowed to to be used. Samsung wouldn't be recalling them all for a few bad batteries.

The problem "may" be voltage regulation in the phone and/or battery, but it's probably more complicated than that.

The USB-C specification allows for higher charging current, and, from what I understand, it's up to the cable to control the charging current (and maybe voltage as well). Bad cables have been responsible for frying devices using USB-C. Unfortunately, USB-C is fairly new, and it appears that everything hasn't been worked out yet. (see USB Type C and 3.1: clearing up the confusion)

See this article on USB-C cables: How to Buy USB Type-C Cables That Won’t Fry Your Gadgets - a quote from there is:

"...a standards-compliant cable will make sure
that the client tries to draw only as much
electricity as the host can provide."

I suspect that batteries and/or charging circuits in USB-C devices will have to be designed to double-check what the cables are providing, to account for inadequate cables.

This is new and evolving technology - I'm guessing that Apple is doing a lot of reviewing of their new phone before they release it!

ctown81

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

This is the very reason they recalled all of them. If they could tell which ones were at risk or tell you what symptoms to look for they would have.

Just the fact that they are recalling ALL of them and not certain ones, speaks volumes. Recalling phones that aren't necessary to recall would be a very bad move business wise. We may never hear from their mouth how widespread or serious this issue really is. I firmly believe their actions in this tell us how serious this is.
Honestly recalling all of them is a great business move from a PR standpoint. Companies do it all the time. Like a previous poster said earlier, peace of mind will keep returning business coming. I commend the was they handled this thus far.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Guys, please keep it civil and stop picking at each other. If you see a post you don't agree with, please move on. Thank you.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Honestly recalling all of them is a great business move from a PR standpoint. Companies do it all the time. Like a previous poster said earlier, peace of mind will keep returning business coming. I commend the was they handled this thus far.
Yes it was the best move to do. The number that have exploded is way beyond the number of new batteries that explode. These batteries can and do explode if something goes wrong.

These type of batteries are no longer allowed to be shipped in cargo on commercial flights. They used to allow companies to do that and there have been plane crashes due to them exploding.

AppleConvertGuy

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Very good information from Zach. This and the phone frying in Massachusetts make this all too real.

My beautiful black Note 7 has been performing flawlessly. Several times the back of the phone has become noticeably hot during charging, but I'm not sure I would have given this much thought unless the recall was announced or it kept happening.

Samsung has handled this situation wonderfully from a business, legal and ethical perspective.

Not happy about it all but my opinion for Sammy is stronger because of it - corporate character is best displayed under adversity and on this count Sammy gets my vote.

Can't wait for my next new Note 7

I love my Note as well, but this recall is definitely not done out of character, but out of an assessment of the risks and potential liabilities if they didn't do a total recall. The fact is that they can't narrow this down to certain batches, so they're doing a total recall. If they could, they would've limited their losses as much as possible.

Once it was decided that a total recall was the only option, the PR folks then took charge to cast this in the best possible light. This is how the corporate world works.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Uh, that is a galaxy active...not a Note 7. Also..it has overlapping pattern burns on the front and back...it looks like some put a defibrillator on either side of it and went to town :p

If it's not a Note 7 and it legitimately burnt up its not a good thing.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Well now that makes me wonder. My note 5 would get hot as crap if I drained to below 20%. Maybe the issue is fast charging at low battery percentages. I have only let my note 7 go below 50% once. But I did use the adapter and my note 5 charger cable with block and noticed it works fine. The cable from best buy did not work to charge and did get hot. I bought 5 cables that where made for usb c from Verizon so I font have to worry about that happening again. Although I can't transfer data with them.? Maybe it is cables that aren't right and no circuit protection.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Another (possible) Note 7 burnt up in Massachusetts

Well now that makes me wonder. My note 5 would get hot as crap if I drained to below 20%. Maybe the issue is fast charging at low battery percentages. I have only let my note 7 go below 50% once. But I did use the adapter and my note 5 charger cable with block and noticed it works fine. The cable from best buy did not work to charge and did get hot. I bought 5 cables that where made for usb c from Verizon so I font have to worry about that happening again. Although I can't transfer data with them.? Maybe it is cables that aren't right and no circuit protection.

My Note 4 got quite hot a few times, but it never blew up on me. I don't think either is affected.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

I firmly believe their actions in this tell us how serious this is.
And you're not wrong. This is not a simple thing. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and what is involved. I have a very active imagination and I have all kinds of scenarios in mind, but we don't really know anything except phones exploded and all have been recalled. Enough for me. I'm not in the habit of carrying a potential exploding device around with me.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

I just watched a video on another thread that was closed. They pried the phone out of the Active looking case and it has the S Pen silo very visible.

They had the phone laying next to the case. If it was in a case like that I don't doubt it blew on both sides. It was pretty heavy duty, I'm sure it wasn't expecting to blow from the inside.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

I just watched a video on another thread that was closed. They pried the phone out of the Active looking case and it has the S Pen silo very visible.

They had the phone laying next to the case. If it was in a case like that I don't doubt it blew on both sides. It was pretty heavy duty, I'm sure it wasn't expecting to blow from the inside.

Attachments

• 1716.jpg
    1716.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

The Active case might have suffocated the phone. That's my guess. Why would you put it in a Active case anyways?

I don't see the S-Pen silo though.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Doh. Don't know why it wouldn't let me post two

Attachments

• 1717.jpg
    1717.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 93

Members online