Zack from JerryRig explains why the Note7 battery may explode.

MikeS1971

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Another (possible) Note 7 burnt up in Massachusetts

The news anchor of a local TV station was calling the Note 7 the Samsung iPhone yesterday morning. Not surprising the media is getting the phone in this story wrong too.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

If you watch the video interviewing the paramedic you will see the actual burnt note.7. I believe the news just used a stock generic pic on file and stated it was the device, figuring most wouldn't know the difference.

Watch the video, you'll see the s pen and bottom shot.

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

If you watch the video interviewing the paramedic you will see the actual burnt note.7. I believe the news just used a stock generic pic on file and stated it was the device, figuring most wouldn't know the difference.

Watch the video, you'll see the s pen and bottom shot.
Wrong, this has already been discussed. The pic of the bottom of the phone, that you can clearly see is a Note 7 with the S-Pen slot is from a YouTube video from one of the people who actually had their Note 7 explode on them, it even clearly credits the person the video came from in the upper left hand corner (says "YouTube/Ariel Gonzalez"). The first pictures they show, which are clearly an S6 Active, the voice over very clearly says "this is what's left of a new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone", which certainly to me implies those pictures are of the actual phone in question.

s6active.PNGs6-active-1.jpg

Compare the burned phone in the picture to the picture of the back of a blue camo Galaxy S6 Active, clearly the exact same thing.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I love my Note as well, but this recall is definitely not done out of character, but out of an assessment of the risks and potential liabilities if they didn't do a total recall. The fact is that they can't narrow this down to certain batches, so they're doing a total recall. If they could, they would've limited their losses as much as possible.

Once it was decided that a total recall was the only option, the PR folks then took charge to cast this in the best possible light. This is how the corporate world works.

".........handled this situation from a business, legal......" perspective.

think that covers "the assessment of risks and liabilities" and " how corp works"

There are a plethora of corporations who don't move as decisively, efficiently and transparently in their executive governing body decision making process........that's the character manifestly evident here

Good for Samsung

AppleConvertGuy

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
".........handled this situation from a business, legal......" perspective.

think that covers "the assessment of risks and liabilities" and " how corp works"

There are a plethora of corporations who don't move as decisively, efficiently and transparently in their executive governing body decision making process........that's the character manifestly evident here

Good for Samsung

We can argue about this until we're blue in the fave. Bottom line is Samsung has a lot to lose by not acting quickly. It's their flagship phone, their primary competitor is about to release a new model, and this is an issue that carries the potential of significant financial liabilities if the battery explosions were to lead to major bodily or property damage. By acting quickly, Samsung puts all current customers on notice that the device is defective. And continued use of it could potentially shift liability on to the customer if injury results. Nothing at all to do with corporate character. Any company in a similar situation would do the exact same thing unless they're idiots.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Well... They both say Samsung on the front. :confused:

If Samsung gets sees the report, you know they will have someone there ASAP to verify the phone and what happened to it regardless which Samsung.

1) Person at Ambulance HQ has a Samsung phone that catches on fire, somehow thinks it's the Note 7 or tries to claim it is one.

2) Factchecker/reporter at the News station completely gets it wrong or ignores it as well.

3) False story gets published.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
We can argue about this until we're blue in the fave. Bottom line is Samsung has a lot to lose by not acting quickly. It's their flagship phone, their primary competitor is about to release a new model, and this is an issue that carries the potential of significant financial liabilities if the battery explosions were to lead to major bodily or property damage. By acting quickly, Samsung puts all current customers on notice that the device is defective. And continued use of it could potentially shift liability on to the customer if injury results. Nothing at all to do with corporate character. Any company in a similar situation would do the exact same thing unless they're idiots.

Samsung has not issued any warning to stop using the N7. Until they do issue warnings to stop using the phone or provide a replacement, I would doubt they are off the hook for damages should they occur because of the phone catching fire or exploding.

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

I gotta say, the more I look at the pictures of the phone that was burned, the more I wonder if this is some kind of hoax and someone is trying to cash in on the whole Note 7 thing. First of all, as already stated, the phone in question in this story isn't a Note 7. The images used in this story come from the company's Facebook page linked above, and they clearly say these are pictures of the burned phone, and call it a Note 7 in the Facebook post, so the news station just using some stock photos is out of the question.

There isn't much to get from the picture of the front, but there is some. The phone appears to be in a case, which conveniently covers up certain things that would identify this as not being a Note 7, like the lack of the S-Pen slot. However, it stupidly doesn't cover up the obvious physical Recents, Home and Back button, which clearly ID this as being a member of the Active family. The sorta trapezoid shape and iconography on the Home button show it to be an S6 Active (like in the picture I posted above), as opposed to the oval shape of the home button on the S7 Active with no iconography, which matches the look of the S7 and S7 Edge.

The back tells us a lot more, however. If you compare the image of the burned phone to the image of the Blue Camo S6 Active I posted above, you can clearly tell it's the same phone. The color and design of the Blue Camo matches, the camera placement matches, the speaker look and location matches, the wrap around black with the rivets matches, you can even see the blue "Active key" and volume rocker that exactly matches the image I posted above. What you can't see that's in my image above? The AT&T logo just under the camera and the writing that would clearly ID it as a "Galaxy S6 active" just to the right of the speaker (if looking at it right side up). The burn on the back looks oddly specific, with clearly defined edges (which again conveniently cover up some obvious ID marks), and the rest of the back of the phone looks in fine shape, not like a phone that "exploded". It's also strange how the internals that are visible, which I can't be certain what they are, but it looks to be a portion of an antenna and some other metallic parts, don't really look all the damaged, they are still pretty shiny and stuff, not at all like they were part of an "explosion" of the battery pack.

While it was mentioned in jest, the pictures, especially that of that back, almost do look like something akin to a defibrillator paddle was held to it to burn it, which paramedics would have access to. In the end, I could be wrong and just coming up with nonsense, but I certainly see there enough evidence to at least warrant a closer look. It could just be for whatever reason, someone's S6 Active went up in flames, and the people who discovered it, not knowing much about smartphones, but knowing it was a Samsung, just assumed that it was a Note 7. Whatever the reason behind it, the phone that was burned is clearly not a Note 7. That obviously doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with the Note 7, just that this specific case isn't one.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

That is the first report of it happening in the United States. That is if it is true. All other reports have been overseas.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Since its supposedly affected only 1 out of 42000 phones or whatever the statistics are, Samsung prolly coulda gotten away cheaper by sending existing (and including for new owners) a tiny temperature controlled fireproof cooling charging cabinet than recalling & inspecting and correcting every single phone they manufactured. A little Black Box for phones, if you will : ) They make those, don't they?! lol And they could also have included a coupon for a replacement phone and prepaid mailing label if yours happens to be 1 in the 42000 that catches fire in the cabinet....

kinda kiddin' but STILL, i just don't see them recovering from this debacle any time soon, as i doubt ANYONE who gives a second thought to turning off lights at night, checking coffee pot off etc will ever feel comfortable leaving their phone on the counter charging overnight.. i just don't....fix or no fix....

& i KNOW they are a multi-megabillion dollar company, but i STILL can't help but feel bad that this happened....Samsung is my fav tech company, and while i never trusted them completely (becuz if your not watching them closely, they constantly put out products that omit features & cost more) but AT LEAST i never worried that a product of theirs might burn down my house.... {{{{{Sammy}}}}}}
kiss.png

BTC

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

That is the first report of it happening in the United States. That is if it is true. All other reports have been overseas.

Not to keep harping on it, but it's not true. The images used in the story are on the Facebook page (linked above) for the ambulance company where this occured, so they aren't stock images, they come from them. On the Facebook page, the post that accompanies these images clearly states these are images of the phone that "exploded" and also calls it a "brand new Samsung Note 7". Somebody either doesn't know what they are talking about, or it's something more sinister, because the phone shown in those images is very clearly not a Note 7.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Doubtful, but could Samsung sue them for liberal and slander?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Doubt it, but they can demand a correction if they can verify it's not a Note 7. It probably won't "matta" because it still said Samsung. Maybe even better they messed up cause they say it was a different model then people will be thinking all Samsungs blow up.

Yeah watching the CBS "Bawston" video and listening... I love their accents lol. But yeah they'll never find out it wasn't a Note. Showing EMTs and Firefighters, our guys in uniform talking about it... not good publicity. See one at the Best Buy, they'll say, "Fuggedaboutit!"

Doubtful, but could Samsung sue them for liberal and slander?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Doubt it, but they can demand a correction if they can verify it's not a Note 7. It probably won't "matta" because it still said Samsung. Maybe even better they messed up cause they say it was a different model then people will be thinking all Samsungs blow up.

Yeah watching the CBS "Bawston" video and listening... I love their accents lol. But yeah they'll never find out it wasn't a Note. Showing EMTs and Firefighters, our guys in uniform talking about it... not good publicity. See one at the Best Buy, they'll say, "Fuggedaboutit!"

It would be nice if they did sue for $$$$ shut the news station down. I hate the media for BS like this. If I was a small business owner and they did a misleading and false store on the products I sell they would be paying.

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

The other thing to take from this: With this story seemingly debunked, and it wasn't a Note 7 that exploded, there still haven't (to my knowledge) been any exploding Note 7s in the US. I still plan on trading my phone in when there is stock, to be on the safe side (plus not trading in my phone could maybe cause some issues with insurance down the line, if I need to use it), but it is interesting that so far none sold in the US have shown the issue.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

This whole "scandal" is probably a marketing campaign like I said from the start, but blind fooled media driven masses don't buy it.
And you are seeing 'Samsung' as some poor affected victim here "doing the right thing".

Like I said before, don't be ignorant on how these things work. A video game recently has become one of the most popular games ever, GTA V, and the producers of this game PAID. FOR. BAD. PUBLICITY.

I think they actually want worldwide coverage of this phone, for some reason. And I think it has something to do with 'IRIS Scanner'

By the way, I have my Note 7 on the way, typing this on my 2 years old Note 4, previous Note 2 owner so…

7AndTRT

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Another (possible) Note 7 burnt up in Massachusetts

Uh, that is a galaxy active...not a Note 7. Also..it has overlapping pattern burns on the front and back...it looks like some put a defibrillator on either side of it and went to town :p

Considering modern ambulance services don't use defibs that allow that, I'd pay to see it. I sell them. You can't "go to town" with a defibrillator. It won't discharge unless it reads specific cardiac rhythms.

That said, the phone also clearly isn't a Note 7 either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon