Magnifier works great for "macro" pics

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you have already discovered this but thought I would share in case you hadn't. I discovered, accidentally, that using the capture mode within Magnifier results in a darn good, clear, up close picture of small detail (items).

Here are some pics I took of a key... The only reason I ended up w a magnifier picture of the key is because I couldn't see the detail well enough with my own eyes so fired up magnifier to help. The third and fourth pics were without magnifier. Even lighting was a challenge with the regular camera.

1472989159926.jpg
1472989032637.jpg1472989056056.jpg1472989140856.jpg

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm impressed! But what's "Magnifier"? A setting, an app or an accessory?
You know that's a good question... Because I just went into the settings and looked in the applications list and didn't see it there. So then I checked widgets and it's there. It looks like an app because it's not an "interactive" icon. 1473008718985.jpg

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't figure this out. Are you taking a photo while using the Spend magnifier? What is capture mode?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Magnifier works great for "macro" pics

When I tap the "widget" icon it opens this screen. The coffee mug was just the subject...but wanted you to see the options within the view itself. It's possible the regular zoom on the camera would work just as well but there's no way to keep the light on and I personally found the magnifier to do a better job with focus. 1473011399810.jpg

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify I long pressed on a blank spot on one of my home screens then selected widgets, then scrolled to find "Magnifier" and dragged it where I wanted on the home screen. So it is added as a widget and as far as I can tell can only be accessed via widget shortcut.

anon(9676543)

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
French, do you notice a difference when you take a photo under the Auto mode and zooming into the areas that you want to see the detail?

Also, have you tried using the S pen's "Air Command" magnifying tool? If you Don't know about this feature, you could double click the button on the S pen and select the magnify icon. Then you would hover over the area of the photo that you'd like to enlarge.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

French, do you notice a difference when you take a photo under the Auto mode and zooming into the areas that you want to see the detail?

Also, have you tried using the S pen's "Air Command" magnifying tool? If you Don't know about this feature, you could double click the button on the S pen and select the magnify icon. Then you would hover over the area of the photo that you'd like to enlarge.
The challenge I had in this particular case was lighting. But those are great suggestions that I hadn't tried. I don't have magnifier in my air command menu (added S Note instead). And was having trouble w focus when using the regular camera. I'll have to play around with it but magnifier was great and worked fast in a pinch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ETA I added the magnify capability by clicking the home button 3 times in succession. I have magnify and grayscale in the menu to choose from.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I can't figure this out. Are you taking a photo while using the Spend magnifier? What is capture mode?
The s pen magnification is a different feature entirely. That magnifies your actual screen within a little window (so whatever you are reading on your actual screen).

The magnifier is using the camera to zoom in on whatever is in the viewfinder. Think middle aged eyes trying to read a menu, having forgotten your "cheater" glasses. Fire up magnifier and use it to read said menu. Hopefully that clarifies a bit.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, same thing as the digital zoom. You loose resolution.
In my limited use of the magnifier feature versus using the camera, I felt the focus was much better within Magnifier. Add being able to turn on and keep on the light (flash) and I just felt better overall control and thus better end result. YMMV.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Kinda sounds like Pro mode.... If you use Pro mode when you manual focus it zooms in to ensure that what your focused on is nice a clear

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I need to give that a try. Haven't tried a macro in Pro Mode yet. Today. Can't wait. :)
Yeah I love trying to learn Pro Mode lol... Here's a quick pic I took just to show the perfect focus on my sPen
08ae57de23d94e9a4408e03445895aba.jpg

Here's a zoom screenshot of the same pic
4a4f648e5bb47a8bd1396bdb9914a1e1.jpg

It's great for Macro but also really nice for wide shots if you may want to zoom in on something afterwards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton