Came across this article. Not sure if anyone else had a chance to read it. Samsung pulls the phones and is accepting fault with a plan in place to replace the N7. Because they didn't go through a whole bunch of steps and red tape their wrong for issue the recall? Since when is a major company help accountable for retailers not following what was advised to do?

Consumer Reports: Samsung Should Officially Recall the Galaxy Note7 - Consumer Reports
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-04-2016 03:07 PM
    Came across this article. Not sure if anyone else had a chance to read it. Samsung pulls the phones and is accepting fault with a plan in place to replace the N7. Because they didn't go through a whole bunch of steps and red tape their wrong for issue the recall? Since when is a major company help accountable for retailers not following what was advised to do?

Consumer Reports: Samsung Should Officially Recall the Galaxy Note7 - Consumer Reports
    I read an article about CRs recommendation. I kind of agree with them in a way that they should've gone through proper US channels. On the other hand, maybe there wasn't time with a US holiday coming up so they did the next best thing and announced the recall themselves. Think of the crap Samsung would've gotten from consumers if they did a worldwide recall everywhere except the US because they waited to go through the Consumer Protection Agency or whatever it's called.

In the end I think Samsung did what they thought was right. They can always announce next week after the holiday that they've done what they needed to do with the Consumer Protection Agency.

(I can't remember what the proper name is of the agency. Just going by the article I read on Verge or somewhere)
    ajb1965 and sweetypie31 like this.
    09-04-2016 03:29 PM
    Interesting article. Didn't know there was official method of making an official "recall" of product. Tries to keep Ebay'ers or outlets like that from selling defective stock. You had people buying multiple iphones at launch and then reselling immediately on sites due to inventory contraints or taking them to other countries. Makes sense.
    09-04-2016 03:36 PM
    Kinda sounds like they were mad they didn't get an invite to the recall party. Any company that goes out of their way to issue it's its own recalls is ok with me. I think Samsung did most of the work for them. As for the few vendors still sellng them, they had to be some ma and pa shops because Samsung got the recall info out to the media and carriers in record time. So still hold them responsible if they sold any after the recall was announced.

Issuing out this statement via CR is just job security talk....lol
    justin1578 likes this.
    09-04-2016 03:43 PM
    I agree with Consumer Reports that the Consumer Product Safety Commission should be consulted and given more details to determine, beyond a recall, if any other warnings need to be issued.

In the extreme, should owners be warned to stop using their phones immediately? Or should they be just cautioned about avoiding quick charging or unattended charging?

Only impartial safety experts with all of the facts, some of which Samsung may be withholding from the public, can issue necessary warnings, in addition to halting sales immediately and offering a speedy exchange. Furthermore, the Consumer Product Safety Commision will insure that the replacements are safe and the faults are corrected.
    09-04-2016 03:50 PM
    Kinda sounds like they were mad they didn't get an invite to the recall party. Any company that goes out of their way to issue it's its own recalls is ok with me. I think Samsung did most of the work for them. As for the few vendors still sellng them, they had to be some ma and pa shops because Samsung got the recall info out to the media and carriers in record time. So still hold them responsible if they sold any after the recall was announced.

Except that CPSC doesn't have anything to do with Consumer Reports. The agency Samsung didn't involve is a government agency. The government doesn't need any help with job security. You could say that Consumer Reports is just trying to grab headlines, but the official government agency should've been vetted on the recall.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-04-2016 05:07 PM
    Except that CPSC doesn't have anything to do with Consumer Reports. The agency Samsung didn't involve is a government agency. The government doesn't need any help with job security. You could say that Consumer Reports is just trying to grab headlines, but the official government agency should've been vetted on the recall.
    I see where your coming from. But I would like to think Samsung was trying to get way ahead of this. They might have planned of getting them involved but knew all the red tape it would have took. So they jumped on it first. I'm wondering if they even tried to contact Samsung before giving that statement.
    09-05-2016 12:29 AM
    I see where your coming from. But I would like to think Samsung was trying to get way ahead of this. They might have planned of getting them involved but new all the red tape it would have took. So they jumped o it first. I'm wondering if they even tried to contact Samsung before giving that statement.
    My first post mentioned the time constraint. Especially with the US holiday. I'm very leery of Samsung honestly though. The family that has run the company for years has very questionable morals. In fact that's one of tge reasons I refused to give Samsung my money over the years.
    09-05-2016 12:35 AM
    I agree with Consumer Reports that the Consumer Product Safety Commission should be consulted and given more details to determine, beyond a recall, if any other warnings need to be issued.

In the extreme, should owners be warned to stop using their phones immediately? Or should they be just cautioned about avoiding quick charging or unattended charging?

Only impartial safety experts with all of the facts, some of which Samsung may be withholding from the public, can issue necessary warnings, in addition to halting sales immediately and offering a speedy exchange. Furthermore, the Consumer Product Safety Commision will insure that the replacements are safe and the faults are corrected.
    That's a double edge sword. It becomes a huge political deal once they get involved. Samsung wants to do the right thing, but they also want to protect their asset. Once this gets in the hands of a third party, they lose control of the narrative, and it will take years to repair the damage once it's lost.

If this can be handled internally and smoothly without bombast and fear mongering, it's easier to move forward.
    09-05-2016 01:08 AM
    The only thing this protects is keeping anyone from selling a bad phone and making sure it is handled correctly.

One thing it does do is slow down the process. If Samsung can get this done quickly, then have the official recall, that shouldn't cause problems.

Also warning people about using their phones just isn't going to stop people from using their phones if don't want to do it. Also Samsung is doing a very quick exchange program.
    09-05-2016 01:30 AM

You can't hold them responsible. They can legally sell under a voluntary recall. Now Samsung has contracts with people that sale their phones and could likely pull those contracts if they continue to sell under a voluntary recall.
    09-05-2016 01:33 AM
    Hmm....an official recall means the phones should never be available for sell in markets (ideally). But they are still available, in spite of this "recall" (though less people are buying them for now). But at least the consumers who have already bought the phone can be assured that they will surely get a replacement as soon as the battery cell is replaced & these "fault-free" devices hit the markets.
    09-05-2016 01:48 AM
    Hmm....an official recall means the phones should never be available for sell in markets (ideally). But they are still available, in spite of this "recall" (though less people are buying them for now). But at least the consumers who have already bought the phone can be assured that they will surely get a replacement as soon as the battery cell is replaced & these "fault-free" devices hit the markets.
    No one in the US should be selling them. The only ones would be individuals.
    09-05-2016 01:52 AM