Who else is sick of all the nonsense doom and gloom over the Note 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that is an accurate characterization of the situation. If your S7 Active experiences water damage, they will replace it with a warranty replacement with no deductible.
Actually that is accurate. I have been involved in helping some members try and get it resolved.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Actually that is accurate. I have been involved in helping some members try and get it resolved.

Saying they are doing the absolute minimum is an opinion, not a fact. The fact is that if your S7 Active experiences water damage, you get a warranty replacement with no deductible. Are you saying that Samsung is refusing to give people warranty replacements after their S7A sustained water damage?

Also, how are you helping, do you work for AT&T or Samsung?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm sick of it. My Note7 arrived the same day Samsung announced halting shipments (Aug 31) and then 2 days later, it was recalled. This was after I kept making comments about how long mine was taking to get here despite my pre-order. You'd think I'd be steaming mad, but on the contrary I'm pleased that Samsung acted quickly. Meanwhile some of us are ready to go to Ridgefield Park, NJ to burn the building down.

The fact that this happened doesn't change the fact that just about all reviews called this the best phone out there, and certainly Samsung's best smartphone. The iPhone fan club will have their chance to poke fun all they want, but it's all good. At the end of the day, they're still stuck with iOS. At least DJ Koh didn't come out and say "don't charge it that way."

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm sick of it. My Note7 arrived the same day Samsung announced halting shipments (Aug 31) and then 2 days later, it was recalled. This was after I kept making comments about how long mine was taking to get here despite my pre-order. You'd think I'd be steaming mad, but on the contrary I'm pleased that Samsung acted quickly. Meanwhile some of us are ready to go to Ridgefield Park, NJ to burn the building down.

The fact that this happened doesn't change the fact that just about all reviews called this the best phone out there, and certainly Samsung's best smartphone. The iPhone fan club will have their chance to poke fun all they want, but it's all good. At the end of the day, they're still stuck with iOS. At least DJ Koh didn't come out and say "don't charge it that way."

Yea, there always seems to be some kind of issue pops up with Iphones each time a new one comes out. They really are a cocky bunch the fanboys of Apple.

If this were Apple or LG I doubt there would be a recall at all unless the government stepped in. They would have came up with some excuse for as long as possible.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The normal, reasonable person realises that mistakes happen. It's how you deal with it that matters.

Truth, brother. Preach it.

We'll hear some yelling and screaming from impatient kiddies who have never experienced the real world and who don't think anything should ever go wrong or deviate, and that they should never be without a phone in their hands for a single moment. But I dismiss those people.

I don't like Samsung or its products, but I have to agree that this is a blip that will be a faint memory in no time.

(I have an example of "it's how they deal with it that matters". My car had the Takata airbag inflator recalled; the backlog was very severe, and nobody knew when the part would be available. The manufacturer offered a loaner (rental) to any owner, for however long it took to get the part in. I was six weeks in such a rental, while my car sat parked. That's how to deal with it.)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The active failures made national news on every main stream media outlet. Plenty of people know about it and its failures.

Define "plenty of people". Do you mean the three dozen phone geeks who frequent sites like this? Or do you mean their parents, friends, and neighbors?

I didn't know about it at all before seeing this thread. That's probably because I don't use or care about Samsung products in general.

Don't confuse your tiny microworld with the real world.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Question would seem when are the batteries failing? Very unusual for catastrophic cell failure after several initial charges. A battery tends be good or bad, soon after initial use. No ticking boom booms. "Seems" people that have been using their device since launch should be good, but the caution is understood.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
If anything the fact that Samsung admitted to the problem and swiftly notified customers and began the steps towards getting the replacement devices shipped so quickly has made me much more inclined to buy Samsung devices in the future.

No way would Apple, HTC or LG have done this. They would have denied, denied, denied.

I don't know about HTC or LG (I hope LG wouldn't be bad about such a thing), but Apple--absolutely. They're so wrapped up in themselves, they really think they can twist people into believing the world they want people to believe.

I say that being a Mac user since 1988. I never got into the iPhone ecosystem, though; it just seemed wrong. Of course, now I'm in the Google ecosystem, to some degree; however, I'm actively using the Microsoft stuff as well (OneNote, OneDrive) and am very happy with it and will continue with it. I try to keep Google at arm's length as much as possible. For example, I use Here instead of Google Maps, and I don't use Waze. That sort of thing.

My family is into the Apple stuff, so I've had some experience with it. For example, my father wanted a ringtone that I was using. I thought, this should be simple; I'll email it to him and save it as a ringtone. Quickly I realized that isn't how Apple does things at all, and when I discovered how hard and arcane it was to make a simple ringtone, I swore off the iPhone completely. I don't need the handholding, and I don't need the hassle of being prevented from doing such basic things as custom ringtones. Everything Apple does is aimed at making you go through their store and buy things. Um, no.

Anyway, yes, Samsung's response is a breath of fresh air. What would be better is if they offered a cheapo phone to use while you wait for your flagship device to be replaced. I know I would probably go out and buy something myself if I were in this position. I might anyway; this just brings to the forefront the idea of having a backup phone just in case, because you never know what might happen.

I just wish they would all settle down on SIM card size.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I can tell, especially since your posting in the Samsung forums.

I was on the LG V10 forum and I saw this thread listed under "trending now" and decided to take a look. I am aware of this issue with the Note 7, and was curious--mainly because my first and last experience was Samsung ruining my Galaxy S3 with an Android update, and then denying it--despite all the evidence in the world to support that the problem happened.

I swore off Samsung at that point, but I am interested in this issue specifically with regard to how they're handling it. As someone else said, it's not that it happened, it's how they respond to it that matters. Is Samsung really competing now in customer service, or is this response of theirs an outlier in their CS world that came about for some other reason--maybe external pressure? That's my interest.

So are people not allowed to be curious about things like this? Are only Samsung users allowed in this clubhouse?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I was on the LG V10 forum and I saw this thread listed under "trending now" and decided to take a look. I am aware of this issue with the Note 7, and was curious--mainly because my first and last experience was Samsung ruining my Galaxy S3 with an Android update, and then denying it--despite all the evidence in the world to support that the problem happened.

I swore off Samsung at that point, but I am interested in this issue specifically with regard to how they're handling it. As someone else said, it's not that it happened, it's how they respond to it that matters. Is Samsung really competing now in customer service, or is this response of theirs an outlier in their CS world that came about for some other reason--maybe external pressure? That's my interest.

So are people not allowed to be curious about things like this? Are only Samsung users allowed in this clubhouse?

You are free to do whatever you like. You dont need to explain yourself to me or anyone else but when you say " I don't use or care about Samsung products in general" while posting in the Samsung forum as well as saying an issue wasnt relevant because you didnt hear about it, mainly because " I don't use or care about Samsung products in general" then I cant take your opinion serious or with any validity. Thats all, you're still free to post whatever you like wherever you like.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Question would seem when are the batteries failing? Very unusual for catastrophic cell failure after several initial charges. A battery tends be good or bad, soon after initial use. No ticking boom booms. "Seems" people that have been using their device since launch should be good, but the caution is understood.

That's what I thought, but apparently some caught fire after 2 weeks. So while a device that is fine after a week or two is more likely to be okay than a fresh device, it is still entirely possible for it to catch fire.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

According to a link on the first page, Samsung's staff pressuring for a recall had played a role in how it came to be.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I didn't hear anything about the S7 active. In any case, it's a niche Galaxy that most don't even know exists.

The other thing is that no reasonable person can fault Samsung for their very fast, generous and pro active response to this issue. The only people that find fault are those impatient people who will be left without their Note 7 for a short while. But people like that are everywhere. The normal, reasonable person realises that mistakes happen. It's how you deal with it that matters.

Only a very few people stomp up and down like the mentally 2 yr olds that they really are.

I agree that there are some people that are being childish about this whole situation. I also agree that the Note 7 recall will not destroy Samsung as a multi-billion dollar company. They are handling the Note 7 issue as well as anyone could and the S7 Active issue on IP68 was addressed by revising their warranty replacement stance. While Samsung has a ton of devices in the Galaxy line, A and J series, the Galaxy line is the face of their mobile division. When you have 2 of your 4 available flagship devices in the media for quality/safety issues, it can hardly be considered a good year, no matter how the numbers look. Sales have been and will be impacted due to those issues. It's not illogical to think that, had these issues not occurred, sales would have been even better.

I really like Samsung products, but the truth is that, the bigger you are the harder you fall. Even though Samsung is far from finished, they fell short this year and its making a bit of noise.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, who cares if negative stories come out? Besides my current phone (which I don't need to keep), I have no vested interest in Samsung. If their stock goes down, I don't lose anything. The only benefit would be prices decreasing. People not in the know about how this recall came to be will possibly stay away from purchasing. Again, this doesn't affect me. Now, if a few weeks from now, we start hearing about the newer phones catching on fure, then it's probably best to move onto something else. I am sure we will hear reports and most likely it will be from someone who never swapped out their original phone. By then, news will already be out and those details might get buried in the story.
Just be educated and not worry about what everyone else says or does.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
but as you have seen, you're one of the very, very, very few who know about the Active. Your assertion that "the Active situation has been extensively covered by mainstream media, everyone in the world knows about it" is optimistic, to be generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.