09-06-2016 08:06 PM
110 12345
tools
    Swisscom customer support called me today but I was teaching and couldn't pick up the phone. Couldn't call back as they called me from a 0800 number from a call center. I just want to make sure I'll get another one withing a reasonable amount of time before I turn mine in. Absolutely love this phone. Best phone I've ever had - and freaking beautiful. The iPhone 6S Plus feels extremely clunky compared to it. And it's much harder to hold.

Anyway, mine doesn't really get warm when charging - I hope that's a good sign
    Christine Aflak likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:32 AM
    While I am wholly encouraging everyone to do the recall, Samsung has said that the defective batteries account for 1:40,000. The chances of an American getting a serious injury from a motor vehicle accident is 1:140 a year...so those concerned about injury should also limit their driving to an absolute minimum(school, work) ...

Also per the Samsung release, no injuries have been reported, at least as of the release.

Just speaking for myself, I will be getting a replacement as soon as one is available, but will use it until then... Unless Samsung makes the recommendation to stop using the phone now.
    Yes, that sums up my sentiments exactly. Everyone should make their own decision based on their risk aversion and how much free time they have to set up phones, but if you think you should stop using the phone now based on the number of incidences there have been, then to be consistent you shouldn't drive a car. According to this link, https://www.thrillist.com/cars/natio...ads-in-america even the chance of dying in a car accident over the next year is higher than chance of a battery incident over the next month. In some states, it is significantly higher. I think everyone should either return or exchange their phone, but I think some people are getting a little caught up in the hype.
    09-05-2016 10:38 AM
    Your statement sounds reasonable, but they'll assessed the Pros & Cons with
    its Marketing-Advisors and take in account the Economy cost..I could be
    wrong as Always "Sam-Gs7" But that remain to be seen: stay Tuned!
    Why does the type of phone matter? It could be a new foldable phone with damn holographic keyboard and would have ZERO to do with what is happening. It's A BATTERY problem not a form factor issue.
    09-05-2016 10:50 AM
    Why does the type of phone matter? It could be a new foldable phone with damn holographic keyboard and would have ZERO to do with what is happening. It's A BATTERY problem not a form factor issue.
    That is the thing.. It has nothing to do with the Note 7, it is the battery and the company that likely made these battery cells, makes them for a lot of phones and electronics.
    09-05-2016 10:53 AM
    Can you imagine what would happen if when there are battery issues people decide to switch brands? Apple would have been dead. They had a very similar experience but contrary to what people are saying they took longer to deal with the overall issue.

People need to RELAX. Take your phone back. Just do it. Don't ask if you should. We are all adults. Take it back and get a loaner or just make a move to a different phone.

Switch to Apple if you want to. It'll be out next week.

I'm staying with the Note 7. This hasn't changed my mind about the phone. Samsung has recognized the issue and they are handling it. What else do you want them to do? Send a rep to everyone's homes and pick them up, give you a free car and then tell you to come get your new phone in 2 weeks?

They know what the issue is. They are fixing it. Kinda end of story for me.
    09-05-2016 10:55 AM
    You are correct and Verizon has gone as far as to say it is your choice 100 percent to even exchange it. Many mixed messages though the message has never been to shut off the phones immediately.
    So let me see if I understand this.

You actually need a massive corporation to tell you what to do? You cannot make that decision on your own given the information that we now have.

Phone battery is faulty
    Phone battery heats up
    Phone battery can burn.

Verizon DID release a statement saying they will take the phone back until September 30 no charges and you can get a different phone.

You want them to say " You must immediately stop using this phone and return it now or penalty of_____ will occur".

We are adults. I think we are capable of processing what is happening and making our own decision.

Youve been given plenty of information. Make the choice.
    Jewels81 likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:59 AM
    This is what I think Samsung should do. They should make the recall mandatory not voluntary. Letters should be sent to everyone who bought a Note 7 notifying them of a potential battery issue and advise them to stop using the phone and return or exchange the device. Failure to return or exchange the phone could result in injuries, fire, etc. If one chooses not to return or exchange the device, Samsung is not responsible for any damages.

By doing a mandatory recall, it will eventually put an end to these exploding batteries. If Samsung just leaves it as voluntary, we're not going to hear the end of it and people could get seriously hurt and there could be lawsuits. Samsung already lost 1 Billion from all this. They will lose even more if they don't put a stop to it.
    At the end of the day, it's all about protecting the consumer. And for the consumers to regain the trust in Samsung and their products. This incident has not changed my mind in buying Samsung phones. But for many it has.
    09-05-2016 11:13 AM
    You can't make a recall mandatory.

How can anyone make you turn over your device?

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntarily did a recall and the government did not require a recall.
    From A Buick 8 and TomOfTx like this.
    09-05-2016 11:21 AM

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntary did a recall and the government did not require a recall.
    I dunno; sounds like some people here think Samsung should be coordinating SWAT teams to go door-to-door confiscating phones by force or something...
    09-05-2016 11:34 AM

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntarily did a recall and the government did not require a recall.
    Of course Samsung can make a mandatory recall if they wanted to but they chose not to.
    No one can force anyone to turn in their devices. But at least Samsung covered themselves with an official letter stating they are not liable for any damages if the device was not returned or exchanged for newer one.
    09-05-2016 12:57 PM
    70% of the batteries were made by the manufacturer where the defective batteries came from... But overall only 24 in 1,000,000 were found to be defective, or approximately 1:40,000.

Of course if yours wasn't made by the Samsung subsidiary then you are in the clear. But even if yours is, the risk is still very low, even compared to getting injured in a motor vehicle accident
    I understand being cautious and yes this is a problem, but if it was that common we'd have hundreds of threads about people's phones blowing up. People just need to relax until replacements come in or just exchange it for something different.
    09-05-2016 01:09 PM
    I would be returning my N7 asap and use a loaner if my carrier provided one, but for those curious over on XDA a tool from Hong Kong Samsung supposedly lets you know if your phone has an affected battery:
    Galaxy Note7 Checking | SAMSUNG 香港

You can toggle to english at the top-right. While the note at the bottom says its for HK versions only, I think that refers to the return policy only. BUT it could mean that only HK models are listed in that database.

Again, I would use this purely for curiosity-sake. If you can switch your phone's people you should do it.
    09-05-2016 01:23 PM
    My God, people sure do know how to over complicate things.

1) Take your phone in, get a loaner, wait on a replacement.

Or

2 ) Keep your phone, use it carefully knowing the risks. Get a replacement when they're available.

We're adults. Make a decision and don't look back.
    09-05-2016 01:25 PM
    Of course Samsung can make a mandatory recall if they wanted to but they chose not to.
    No one can force anyone to turn in their devices. But at least Samsung covered themselves with an official letter stating they are not liable for any damages if the device was not returned or exchanged for newer one.
    No they can't make a recall mandatory. Mandatory means you have to turn in your device lol.
    From A Buick 8 likes this.
    09-05-2016 01:43 PM
    I would be returning my N7 asap and use a loaner if my carrier provided one, but for those curious over on XDA a tool from Hong Kong Samsung supposedly lets you know if your phone has an affected battery:

You can toggle to english at the top-right. While the note at the bottom says its for HK versions only, I think that refers to the return policy only. BUT it could mean that only HK models are listed in that database.

Again, I would use this purely for curiosity-sake. If you can switch your phone's people you should do it.
    I checked mine and it says not affected. Hopefully that's accurate. Why don't they make a site like that for the US version? Even if it just to put people at ease until replacements come.
    09-05-2016 01:45 PM
    In order for any statement of liability to have a 1% chance of helping Samsung, they would have to have replacement devices ready right now and provide an adequate time period for those devices to be replaced or they would have to be willing to hand out comparable devices as loaners until new devices are ready. Until that, voluntary or mandatory recall, they are potentially on the hook for any damages caused by phones under the recall.
    09-05-2016 01:46 PM
    No they can't make a recall mandatory. Mandatory means you have to turn in your device lol.
    ^this is correct (at least in the us). Voluntary refers to weather or not the government required them to recall the device.
    09-05-2016 01:51 PM
    I am only charging my phone in the day when I can keep an eye on it. I do use it with Android Auto in my car so I hope that I don't have any issues while driving.
    09-05-2016 01:52 PM
    So let me see if I understand this.

You actually need a massive corporation to tell you what to do? You cannot make that decision on your own given the information that we now have.

Phone battery is faulty
    Phone battery heats up
    Phone battery can burn.

Verizon DID release a statement saying they will take the phone back until September 30 no charges and you can get a different phone.

You want them to say " You must immediately stop using this phone and return it now or penalty of_____ will occur".

We are adults. I think we are capable of processing what is happening and making our own decision.

Youve been given plenty of information. Make the choice.
    Yes we are adults, but then look at a hair dryer and the warning not to use it in the shower. That is because an "adult" did take one into the shower while it was plugged in and the manufacture was sued and lost when he/she died.
    09-05-2016 01:54 PM

This gives specific dates that fall before the N7 was available in the US. It also specifies the location.
    It would not work for US phones, and I hope people realize this rather than using it, not finding their IMEI, BUT and determining they are not affected.

I'm not knocking you for posting it, at all; I just hope to make people in the US understand this is not a tool that is applicable.

09-05-2016 02:06 PM
    I checked mine and it says not affected. Hopefully that's accurate. Why don't they make a site like that for the US version? Even if it just to put people at ease until replacements come.
    It is not accurate Blues.

BTW, Samsung Hong Kong decided see phones were not affected, not Samsung Global, the people that made the actual phone.

Also the likelihood is the Hong Kong phones came from the China release, which Samsung said were fine.
    09-05-2016 02:09 PM
    I'm in the UK my carrier haven't got a clue told me to take it in and swop it for s7 edge or just give it back and said they don't no if they are going to restock the phone so I'm not doing eather of them so telephoned Samsung UK they asked me if it was working ok I said yes and they said give us 4 weeks ring us back and they will exchange it for me and told me I was fine to keep using it till then or I could just keep this one if it was ok Sam UK dint seem that concerned to be fair
    09-05-2016 02:13 PM
    Yes we are adults, but then look at a hair dryer and the warning not to use it in the shower. That is because an "adult" did take one into the shower while it was plugged in and the manufacture was sued and lost when he/she died.
    There will always be people who decide it's worth the risk to keep their device, car or food that's been recalled. You can't safeguard guard against everything.
    09-05-2016 02:13 PM
    You are correct and Verizon has gone as far as to say it is your choice 100 percent to even exchange it. Many mixed messages though the message has never been to shut off the phones immediately.
    It has now. (Quote) Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note7 smartphone to power down their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided.

Important information for Galaxy Note7 owners
    09-05-2016 05:36 PM
    The guys hotel bill for fire damage was over $1800, and they are paying it, Samsung has more than replacement phones to worry about. They are saying 3-4 weeks for one in Australia, bet it blows out to 4-6 +.
    09-05-2016 05:40 PM
110 12345