Another Note7 has blown-up in Australia - Please stop using your phone ATM

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
:p But still is only one iPhone in which the Worlds high Tech phone company
concentrate all its efforts. Having said that I congratulate you for the organized

Way that you're handling this thread. I'd say to keep the amount of replies
No more than 60-70..and open another is need to make sort of closing
Statement on which points--The users find consensus and Close it

Why no more than 60-70 replies before creating another thread? That'd flood the forum on copies of a topic, which would be easier to organize by keeping in one, single thread.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: First Australian Note 7 Fire

You've been warned and asked to return the phone. You are now using it at your own risk. You'd be lucky to get a loaner phone.
Samsung hasn't warned anybody. They've initiated a recall and have said an option is to wait until new devices are available and switch out the phone.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Samsung hasn't warned anybody. They've initiated a recall and have said an option is to wait until new devices are available and switch out the phone.

You are correct and Verizon has gone as far as to say it is your choice 100 percent to even exchange it. Many mixed messages though the message has never been to shut off the phones immediately.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
:p But still is only one iPhone in which the Worlds high Tech phone company
concentrate all its efforts. Having said that I congratulate you for the organized

Way that you're handling this thread. I'd say to keep the amount of replies
No more than 60-70..and open another is need to make sort of closing
Statement on which points--The users find consensus and Close it

Sorry we don't close threads for that reason. It's a discussion and there is no one right answer since everyone has different opinions.

In regards to your statement about Apple... Yes they made one phone (technically two) but that's because it's just them. Google makes Android and then has manufacturers who make various phones. Samsung makes different models since they have some models that benefit a certain crowd.. Like those who like the S-Pen. Just like Motorola has various devices as well.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You are correct and Verizon has gone as far as to say it is your choice 100 percent to even exchange it. Many mixed messages though the message has never been to shut off the phones immediately.

Since 70% of the phones have the battery with the issue, although to be clear not 100% of those batteries are exploding, I'd be very careful if you continue to use it. I returned mine, the benefit to risk ratio wasn't worth it. I'll likely get it again once it's sorted out, and use my old iPhone till then. If you don't have a backup though, totally get why you're be in s bind.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I am wholly encouraging everyone to do the recall, Samsung has said that the defective batteries account for 1:40,000. The chances of an American getting a serious injury from a motor vehicle accident is 1:140 a year...so those concerned about injury should also limit their driving to an absolute minimum(school, work) ...

Also per the Samsung release, no injuries have been reported, at least as of the release.

Just speaking for myself, I will be getting a replacement as soon as one is available, but will use it until then... Unless Samsung makes the recommendation to stop using the phone now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since 70% of the phones have the battery with the issue, although to be clear not 100% of those batteries are exploding, I'd be very careful if you continue to use it. I returned mine, the benefit to risk ratio wasn't worth it. I'll likely get it again once it's sorted out, and use my old iPhone till then. If you don't have a backup though, totally get why you're be in s bind.
70% of the batteries were made by the manufacturer where the defective batteries came from... But overall only 24 in 1,000,000 were found to be defective, or approximately 1:40,000.

Of course if yours wasn't made by the Samsung subsidiary then you are in the clear. But even if yours is, the risk is still very low, even compared to getting injured in a motor vehicle accident

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

It is always everyone's choice to exchange the item here, this is the USA.

Now as one of our team members reminded me, while recall participation is voluntary, there can be consequences for not participating.

So if he got a recall notice for his car and have refused to take part, fine, but he can't register his car to drive there.

If people don't take part in the recall, there could things like no warranty, no insurance, etc.

The voluntary recall is about Samsung, not the consumer. It isn't an official recall, it is voluntary. Even with official recalls it is always up to the individual to participate or not, no one is coming to make them exchange their product.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Swisscom customer support called me today but I was teaching and couldn't pick up the phone. Couldn't call back as they called me from a 0800 number from a call center. I just want to make sure I'll get another one withing a reasonable amount of time before I turn mine in. Absolutely love this phone. Best phone I've ever had - and freaking beautiful. The iPhone 6S Plus feels extremely clunky compared to it. And it's much harder to hold.

Anyway, mine doesn't really get warm when charging - I hope that's a good sign

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
While I am wholly encouraging everyone to do the recall, Samsung has said that the defective batteries account for 1:40,000. The chances of an American getting a serious injury from a motor vehicle accident is 1:140 a year...so those concerned about injury should also limit their driving to an absolute minimum(school, work) ...

Also per the Samsung release, no injuries have been reported, at least as of the release.

Just speaking for myself, I will be getting a replacement as soon as one is available, but will use it until then... Unless Samsung makes the recommendation to stop using the phone now.

Yes, that sums up my sentiments exactly. Everyone should make their own decision based on their risk aversion and how much free time they have to set up phones, but if you think you should stop using the phone now based on the number of incidences there have been, then to be consistent you shouldn't drive a car. According to this link, https://www.thrillist.com/cars/nation/how-likely-you-are-to-die-in-a-car-accident-in-every-us-state-the-most-dangerous-roads-in-america even the chance of dying in a car accident over the next year is higher than chance of a battery incident over the next month. In some states, it is significantly higher. I think everyone should either return or exchange their phone, but I think some people are getting a little caught up in the hype.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Your statement sounds reasonable, but they'll assessed the Pros & Cons with
its Marketing-Advisors and take in account the Economy cost..I could be
wrong as Always "Sam-Gs7" But that remain to be seen: stay Tuned!
Why does the type of phone matter? It could be a new foldable phone with damn holographic keyboard and would have ZERO to do with what is happening. It's A BATTERY problem not a form factor issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why does the type of phone matter? It could be a new foldable phone with damn holographic keyboard and would have ZERO to do with what is happening. It's A BATTERY problem not a form factor issue.
That is the thing.. It has nothing to do with the Note 7, it is the battery and the company that likely made these battery cells, makes them for a lot of phones and electronics.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you imagine what would happen if when there are battery issues people decide to switch brands? Apple would have been dead. They had a very similar experience but contrary to what people are saying they took longer to deal with the overall issue.

People need to RELAX. Take your phone back. Just do it. Don't ask if you should. We are all adults. Take it back and get a loaner or just make a move to a different phone.

Switch to Apple if you want to. It'll be out next week.

I'm staying with the Note 7. This hasn't changed my mind about the phone. Samsung has recognized the issue and they are handling it. What else do you want them to do? Send a rep to everyone's homes and pick them up, give you a free car and then tell you to come get your new phone in 2 weeks?

They know what the issue is. They are fixing it. Kinda end of story for me.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

So let me see if I understand this.

You actually need a massive corporation to tell you what to do? You cannot make that decision on your own given the information that we now have.

Phone battery is faulty
Phone battery heats up
Phone battery can burn.

Verizon DID release a statement saying they will take the phone back until September 30 no charges and you can get a different phone.

You want them to say " You must immediately stop using this phone and return it now or penalty of_____ will occur".

We are adults. I think we are capable of processing what is happening and making our own decision.

Youve been given plenty of information. Make the choice.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
This is what I think Samsung should do. They should make the recall mandatory not voluntary. Letters should be sent to everyone who bought a Note 7 notifying them of a potential battery issue and advise them to stop using the phone and return or exchange the device. Failure to return or exchange the phone could result in injuries, fire, etc. If one chooses not to return or exchange the device, Samsung is not responsible for any damages.

By doing a mandatory recall, it will eventually put an end to these exploding batteries. If Samsung just leaves it as voluntary, we're not going to hear the end of it and people could get seriously hurt and there could be lawsuits. Samsung already lost 1 Billion from all this. They will lose even more if they don't put a stop to it.
At the end of the day, it's all about protecting the consumer. And for the consumers to regain the trust in Samsung and their products. This incident has not changed my mind in buying Samsung phones. But for many it has.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can't make a recall mandatory.

How can anyone make you turn over your device?

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntarily did a recall and the government did not require a recall.

Last edited:

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntary did a recall and the government did not require a recall.

I dunno; sounds like some people here think Samsung should be coordinating SWAT teams to go door-to-door confiscating phones by force or something...

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

The recall is voluntary, that means Samsung voluntarily did a recall and the government did not require a recall.

Of course Samsung can make a mandatory recall if they wanted to but they chose not to.
No one can force anyone to turn in their devices. But at least Samsung covered themselves with an official letter stating they are not liable for any damages if the device was not returned or exchanged for newer one.