Another Note7 has blown-up in Australia - Please stop using your phone ATM

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
70% of the batteries were made by the manufacturer where the defective batteries came from... But overall only 24 in 1,000,000 were found to be defective, or approximately 1:40,000.

Of course if yours wasn't made by the Samsung subsidiary then you are in the clear. But even if yours is, the risk is still very low, even compared to getting injured in a motor vehicle accident

I understand being cautious and yes this is a problem, but if it was that common we'd have hundreds of threads about people's phones blowing up. People just need to relax until replacements come in or just exchange it for something different.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I would be returning my N7 asap and use a loaner if my carrier provided one, but for those curious over on XDA a tool from Hong Kong Samsung supposedly lets you know if your phone has an affected battery:
Galaxy Note7 Checking | SAMSUNG 香港

You can toggle to english at the top-right. While the note at the bottom says its for HK versions only, I think that refers to the return policy only. BUT it could mean that only HK models are listed in that database.

Again, I would use this purely for curiosity-sake. If you can switch your phone's people you should do it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My God, people sure do know how to over complicate things.

1) Take your phone in, get a loaner, wait on a replacement.

Or

2 ) Keep your phone, use it carefully knowing the risks. Get a replacement when they're available.

We're adults. Make a decision and don't look back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course Samsung can make a mandatory recall if they wanted to but they chose not to.
No one can force anyone to turn in their devices. But at least Samsung covered themselves with an official letter stating they are not liable for any damages if the device was not returned or exchanged for newer one.

No they can't make a recall mandatory. Mandatory means you have to turn in your device lol.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I would be returning my N7 asap and use a loaner if my carrier provided one, but for those curious over on XDA a tool from Hong Kong Samsung supposedly lets you know if your phone has an affected battery:

You can toggle to english at the top-right. While the note at the bottom says its for HK versions only, I think that refers to the return policy only. BUT it could mean that only HK models are listed in that database.

Again, I would use this purely for curiosity-sake. If you can switch your phone's people you should do it.

I checked mine and it says not affected. Hopefully that's accurate. Why don't they make a site like that for the US version? Even if it just to put people at ease until replacements come.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Of course Samsung can make a mandatory recall if they wanted to but they chose not to.
No one can force anyone to turn in their devices. But at least Samsung covered themselves with an official letter stating they are not liable for any damages if the device was not returned or exchanged for newer one.
In order for any statement of liability to have a 1% chance of helping Samsung, they would have to have replacement devices ready right now and provide an adequate time period for those devices to be replaced or they would have to be willing to hand out comparable devices as loaners until new devices are ready. Until that, voluntary or mandatory recall, they are potentially on the hook for any damages caused by phones under the recall.

OliverK

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I am only charging my phone in the day when I can keep an eye on it. I do use it with Android Auto in my car so I hope that I don't have any issues while driving.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So let me see if I understand this.

You actually need a massive corporation to tell you what to do? You cannot make that decision on your own given the information that we now have.

Phone battery is faulty
Phone battery heats up
Phone battery can burn.

Verizon DID release a statement saying they will take the phone back until September 30 no charges and you can get a different phone.

You want them to say " You must immediately stop using this phone and return it now or penalty of_____ will occur".

We are adults. I think we are capable of processing what is happening and making our own decision.

Youve been given plenty of information. Make the choice.

Yes we are adults, but then look at a hair dryer and the warning not to use it in the shower. That is because an "adult" did take one into the shower while it was plugged in and the manufacture was sued and lost when he/she died.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

This gives specific dates that fall before the N7 was available in the US. It also specifies the location.
It would not work for US phones, and I hope people realize this rather than using it, not finding their IMEI, BUT and determining they are not affected.

I'm not knocking you for posting it, at all; I just hope to make people in the US understand this is not a tool that is applicable.

5427309410b5a2701e06ed80b330546e.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I checked mine and it says not affected. Hopefully that's accurate. Why don't they make a site like that for the US version? Even if it just to put people at ease until replacements come.
It is not accurate Blues.

BTW, Samsung Hong Kong decided see phones were not affected, not Samsung Global, the people that made the actual phone.

Also the likelihood is the Hong Kong phones came from the China release, which Samsung said were fine.

Sam1482

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the UK my carrier haven't got a clue told me to take it in and swop it for s7 edge or just give it back and said they don't no if they are going to restock the phone so I'm not doing eather of them so telephoned Samsung UK they asked me if it was working ok I said yes and they said give us 4 weeks ring us back and they will exchange it for me and told me I was fine to keep using it till then or I could just keep this one if it was ok Sam UK dint seem that concerned to be fair

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes we are adults, but then look at a hair dryer and the warning not to use it in the shower. That is because an "adult" did take one into the shower while it was plugged in and the manufacture was sued and lost when he/she died.

There will always be people who decide it's worth the risk to keep their device, car or food that's been recalled. You can't safeguard guard against everything.

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: First Australian Note 7 Fire

You are correct and Verizon has gone as far as to say it is your choice 100 percent to even exchange it. Many mixed messages though the message has never been to shut off the phones immediately.

It has now. (Quote) Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note7 smartphone to power down their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided.

Important information for Galaxy Note7 owners

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The guys hotel bill for fire damage was over $1800, and they are paying it, Samsung has more than replacement phones to worry about. They are saying 3-4 weeks for one in Australia, bet it blows out to 4-6 +.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And I'll quote again..

"Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note7 smartphone to power down their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided."

Samsung is telling people to not use the phone. People can try every way to make their phone not one of these. Samsung Global is recalling all phones.

More explosions are happening.

If your phone is part of the recall and it is if you have one, Samsung is saying it isn't safe to use.

Why do you think almost all carrier stores no longer have them displayed? They shipped them back.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with YOU as an individual. And at that time they didn't have to put warning on devices for stupid people.

It's why you hear all these warnings on commericals for prescription drugs. 99.999% of the time NONE of these symptoms will occur but they have to CTA.

There will always be dumb people.

That being said my point was fairly easy. You don't need Verizon to tell you what to do. Be an adult and take care of it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Has nothing to do with YOU as an individual. And at that time they didn't have to put warning on devices for stupid people.

It's why you hear all these warnings on commericals for prescription drugs. 99.999% of the time NONE of these symptoms will occur but they have to CTA.

There will always be dumb people.

That being said my point was fairly easy. You don't need Verizon to tell you what to do. Be an adult and take care of it.
I still wonder who caused this warning label to be required..
31934615e5cf31092bce79d64da2b02e.jpg

Last edited:

echelonmawkez

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
lesson learned here is not to charge your phone overnight..we have heard of similar issues before with lots of other phones and sure thing the note 7 may have escalated the chances with their batteries right now but the caution remains the same, note7 or not

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12