Have all incidents happened while using charger with cable? Any wireless reports?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone knows if any of the incidents with the Note 7 have happened while using a wireless charger? Or have all of them been while plugged in and charging using the USB cable?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just curious if anyone knows if any of the incidents with the Note 7 have happened while using a wireless charger? Or have all of them been while plugged in and charging using the USB cable?

The way the recall was worded ("In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note 7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue"), it sounds to me like the issues is with one cell of the battery.

The way these batteries are made, there's a paper-thin (actually thinner) separator between the cells, and if this separator gets punctured (physically or electrically), then the battery will go up in flames. (see this video - although they use a knife, it doesn't take that much destructive force to cause this to happen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZ62tUtc0w

If a cell separator is the issue, then this theoretically could happen anytime. I only charge wirelessly, and would "like to think" that I'm safer, but I don't think so.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The way the recall was worded ("In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note 7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue"), it sounds to me like the issues is with one cell of the battery.

The way these batteries are made, there's a paper-thin (actually thinner) separator between the cells, and if this separator gets punctured (physically or electrically), then the battery will go up in flames. (see this video - although they use a knife, it doesn't take that much destructive force to cause this to happen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZ62tUtc0w

If a cell separator is the issue, then this theoretically could happen anytime. I only charge wirelessly, and would "like to think" that I'm safer, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the info! That's pretty freakin scary considering it's not even on a charger at the time.

My hope was I was safer as well being exclusively wireless. I only charge mine wirelessly while I'm watching tv next to it and once it's done (usually just before bed) I remove it from the charger and turn it off. Hopefully the new stock starts arriving this week or next.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
To date, as far as I know, all the fires have been while it's been charging with the USB-C cable. I'm sure the battery gets hotter during a "fast charge" than it does wirelessly. But, I think it would be foolish to think that it couldn't happen while wirelessly-charging.