Exchanging your old Note7 for a new Note7? How do you plan to backup and restore?

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Help backing up Note7 before return....

Apple makes it pretty easy to back up and sync your data to itunes before getting a new phone. I put a lot of time and energy into adding every contact, transferring every picture, and adding each song....is there a way to back up this phone for when I exchange it for a new one thru the recall program? I don't want to have to redo everything and from what i'm hearing "smart switch" may cause some lag.....any help would be appreciated!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help backing up Note7 before return....

Your contacts can be backed up to your Google account. When you go into settings, click back up and reset and make sure that you have your phone set to back up to your Google account. That way when you sign in you should have your contacts and wifi passwords and such ready to go. I have an SD card with photos and music, but I still back up my photos to Google photos. As for messages, I'm on Verizon and use their messaging app as my back up. And I agree, it is simpler on Apple lol.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

Not too concerned about the messages part of it.....does samsung have some sort of a restore feature as well? or just stick with the google back up? i supposed i could put all of my pictures and music and such on the SD card....never thought about that....it's the contacts i'm worried about.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Samsung has smart switch, but it has been misbehaving recently. So use at your own risk. I would definitely recommend backing up your Contacts to your google account. Then no matter what phone you use, your Contacts will always be there as soon as you sign in.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I don't sync my contacts, I export them to a file them import them on the new device.

You can try helium to backup your apps, it doesn't do all apps, some to me some app data is better than none.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
For those of you that plan to exchange your old Note7 for a new Note7 how have you (or how do you plan to) backup your old phone and restore to your new phone?

I expect it would vary depending on how smoothly and well configured you felt the old phone was running. I'm guessing the people who have had nothing but good experiences with their Note7 are more likely to copy and transfer more over, and people who were complaining of lag or other problems are likely to transfer less from their old phone in the hopes it would lead to a smoother experience with the new one.

I've had a smooth experience with my Note7, so I'm looking to copy over a lot of the apps and settings if I'm able to...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Cloud.

Not restoring my apps. Going to totally reinstall them from scratch.

Yeah, it's painful. But I used to root and ROM for a living, so I'm used to that.

phillipeino

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to do the same thing I did when I went from my S6 to Note 7. Connect the old Note 7 to my PC and copy all my documents and pictures. Then connect the new Note 7 to the PC and copy those documents and pictures to the new Note 7. This way I'm not just transferring the files but creating a backup on my PC at the same time.

As for apps, I'll just let the phone automatically re-download them all. I've never liked backing up and restoring the app data, seemed to have given me issues in the past.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Transfering from note 7 to note 7 should be smoother process being the system are identical...
I plan on using Samsung cloud to restore my phone back to its exact state...
Carrier Verizon

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I am interested in using the samsung cloud, but somehow it says it's already full for me. Anyone know how to delete what's on there?

This is my first Note and Android device, so I went through a couple of different transfer programs and they only worked for very limited files and data. I plan on copying media to my PC. and manually redownloading my apps, since I didn't have many to begin with.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I will set up as a new device. All my important information is on the Google and Samsung clouds. I will be a little irked that I have to start over in Hitman Sniper again lol, but I've had too many PITA experiences with doing a restore. Besides, I had this set up exactly like my S7E, so I need a design change anyway. Starting over again may inspire me to change a few things up this time.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Cloud.

Not restoring my apps. Going to totally reinstall them from scratch.

Yeah, it's painful. But I used to root and ROM for a living, so I'm used to that.
When upgrading to a new phone like I did note 4 to 7 going from scratch is always the best ,I think a lot of complaints could be avoided with this process!
Now 7 to 7 will try the clould with a clean install of apps first

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Transfering from note 7 to note 7 should be smoother process being the system are identical...
I plan on using Samsung cloud to restore my phone back to its exact state...
Carrier Verizon

Have you been able to access Samsung Cloud on your "Verizon" Note7? My understanding is that it is supposed to be under settings -> cloud and accounts, but there is no Cloud and Accounts area on Verizon's version of the Note7.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in using the samsung cloud, but somehow it says it's already full for me. Anyone know how to delete what's on there?

This is my first Note and Android device, so I went through a couple of different transfer programs and they only worked for very limited files and data. I plan on copying media to my PC. and manually redownloading my apps, since I didn't have many to begin with.

Are you backing up your photos to Samsung too? If you use Google photos that can also back them up, and may already be doing it so you could potentially be double backing up.

You should have been alloted 15 gig from Samsung. That should be plenty of space for notes, calendar, and phone settings.

I don't know if you can selectively delete content either, which kind of sucks.

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I used smart switch coming from a note 5 to a note 7 most painless transfer ever, did not develope any problems note 7 worked great! I'm going to try and do it in the store before I hand over my exploding phone.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Are you backing up your photos to Samsung too? If you use Google photos that can also back them up, and may already be doing it so you could potentially be double backing up.

You should have been alloted 15 gig from Samsung. That should be plenty of space for notes, calendar, and phone settings.

I don't know if you can selectively delete content either, which kind of sucks.

yeah, I don't know what it is backing up, and I don't know how to delete it.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you been able to access Samsung Cloud on your "Verizon" Note7? My understanding is that it is supposed to be under settings -> cloud and accounts, but there is no Cloud and Accounts area on Verizon's version of the Note7.

Nevermind. I was able to find the Samsung Cloud hidden on the device. With the "QuickShortcutMaker" app I went down the activities section, found Samsung Backup and Restore, and made a shortcut for Samsung Cloud (one listed as SCloudActivity), and now I can access and backup to the Samsung Cloud.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there's a thread here in the Note 7 forum's with instructions on how to access it... I used the Quick shortcut maker app method..
6cb8ad81984f4ddc1f83f7f3b2ffc077.jpg
3e88cb77b7b336c698cf7e2ac3e4b980.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463