Exchanging your old Note7 for a new Note7? How do you plan to backup and restore?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung SmartSwitch (Phone to PC to Phone) has worked from Verizon Note 4 > Verizon Note 5 > AT&T Note 5 > AT&T Note 7 without a single glitch (there were a couple of Verizon:AT&T issues, but expected, I guess)... totally satisfied with it!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help backing up Note7 before return....

Why not connect your current device to your computer, if you have one available? I make a folder (Joe's Note 7 for example) on my desktop and move everything I want to keep such as pictures, music, ringtones, notification tones, etc. The only thing I don't worry about are contacts as they are backed up with Google. Once you connect the device, give it a few seconds to be recognized and then you'll probably have to swipe down from the top of the device and pick "File Transfer". It usually defaults to "USB Charging".

Or you could always back up to the cloud. Also, one you have your new(er) device, Google usually gives you the option to restore from a previous device. Some have reported issues doing this (me included) so I set up as a new device to prevent anything.

Dealz417

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else get a network error message when backing up Apps with Samsung Cloud?

Everything else gets backed up with no problems.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else get a network error message when backing up Apps with Samsung Cloud?

Everything else gets backed up with no problems.
I did, the first few times... It was only when I read in a thread that once you enable auto backup that it works error free... And it did....

Dealz417

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I did, the first few times... It was only when I read in a thread that once you enable auto backup that it works error free... And it did....

I was still getting an error even with auto backup turned on, however since my last post backing up has been working ever since I got and installed a software update that was made available recently.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm still unable to successfully backup to Samsung Cloud (Verizon).

ETA: I LIED! Not on purpose (I mean I didn't lie on purpose)...I just tried to backup again using the shortcut I had made to Samsung Cloud backup and it worked. BUT...how is it possible I'm only using 11 MB of 15 gigs? I have WAY more apps than that.

Last edited:

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I will use Smart Switch with my PC. I may not do a full restore and start over instead. From what I have read on this forum some lag issues are related to using smart switch to restore. So I will try and see how it goes by starting over. Can always do a restore later.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

For photos I just back them up to Google Photos. Makes it very simple and they are there if I need to download any to my device.

Music is something different. SD card transfers.

Everything else is pretty seamless and I'm going to just download my apps from scratch. Make it a new device. Slower to do it that way but will not create the lag that some have experienced.

I'm not happy about the switch since I got my Note 7 working perfectly.

EvEr34

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I've put everything I need to keep on my SD card. Took some screen shots of all my settings to make sure I don't forget anything and I'll be setting up from scratch.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Would it be different going from the S7E to the Note 7 ?

I am on the loaner and I am not finding the Samsung Cloud on it

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Well I use smartswitch via pc and the clould , however mine is being shipped so im going to try bluetooth smartswitch 7 to 7

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Well I use smartswitch via pc and the clould , however mine is being shipped so im going to try bluetooth smartswitch 7 to 7

Smartswitch took the Canton Ohio store about 3 hours to transfer for me.

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'll probably do a fresh set up, and only transfer the bare minimum. My contacts are backed up to Google, and all my pictures are on my MicroSD card. Manually re-downloading apps and fiddling with the widgets/screen setup is no big deal to me.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I have a loaner note 5 so I'll probably just do a partial app/messages transfer at tmobile store (if I have to go there). If it's shipped to me then I'll do a smart switch partial backup restore then mail out the loaner

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I will likely use "SMS Backup & Restore" to catch all messages/mms/phone logs and rebuild the rest clean. I do not want to have any artifacts from the old device even if it's the same device. It's just a good practice that carried over from flashing roms. (I'll do this before I even walk in the door, all of my core files are on my MSD card so I can rebuild in the field if needed)

Cheers,
BR

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'll probably do a fresh set up, and only transfer the bare minimum. My contacts are backed up to Google, and all my pictures are on my MicroSD card. Manually re-downloading apps and fiddling with the widgets/screen setup is no big deal to me.
And thats is the best way to set up your new 7 you will avoid lag and other issues that way