Samsung Pay - Disable MST? Chip Card Problems

Kevin Demers

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So Samsung Pay seems great in theory, but in practice is more of a nightmare.

The issues: Chip cards and Chip card readers.

Scenario 1: Store doesn't accept NFC payments, but accepts Chip Cards -> Samsung Pay is 100% unuseable. MST swipe tells the reader that you have a chip card, reader tells you to insert chip card - game over.

Scenario 2: Store accepts NFC Payments, Swipes, and Chip Cards -> Same problem as above, but it is a crap shoot as to whether the NFC part of Samsung Pay will register first or the MST part of Samsung Pay will register first. It's not fun to constantly retry the payment when you feel that you have no control over the success or not.

Is it possible to disable the MST part of Samsung Pay and make it purely NFC? If not, any tricks for avoiding the MST triggers? My phone was a decent distance away from the actual swipe portion of the terminal and still registered.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I linked my debit card to it and my debit card has a chip and I use mst all the time cause the store I use it at doesn't have nfc and it works just fine... It really depends on the terminal...

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The card reader doesn't recognize Samsung pay virtual cards as having chips, regardless of the original card having one

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've experienced no issues with Samsung Pay anywhere, regardless of whether the card readers accepted chip cards or not.

Kevin Demers

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Apparently my stores as just the worst? Tried at both a Target (no NFC, but Chip active) and a Shaws (NFC & Chip).

At target I was prompted to insert the card, and at Shaws I was prompted to insert the card until I got NFC to register instead of MST. Not a good start so far and will probably prevent me from trying it at more places.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Apparently my stores as just the worst? Tried at both a Target (no NFC, but Chip active) and a Shaws (NFC & Chip).

At target I was prompted to insert the card, and at Shaws I was prompted to insert the card until I got NFC to register instead of MST. Not a good start so far and will probably prevent me from trying it at more places.

I use mine at Target all the time. I have never had an issue. I would recommend deleting your cards and setting then back up again. I had the same issue on an unlocked version S7 edge. It wouldn't work anywhere. Once I did that, I had no problems.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Have used Samsung Pay at all types of terminals, with and without chip readers, with seldom a problem. Either you have an issue with the phone or perhaps need to review one of the YouTube videos showing the correct procedure.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I use mine with chip card readers all the time. Almost all my cards have the chips also. I've never been asked to insert a card.

Kevin Demers

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Will likely wait until I get my replacement Note and try again - maybe it will clear up any hickups.

This is all with a Bank of America Visa Chip Card.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Will likely wait until I get my replacement Note and try again - maybe it will clear up any hickups.

This is all with a Bank of America Visa Chip Card.

One of my cards is a BofA Debit chip card and one is a BofA Visa chip card. I've used both before successfully.

Majorpane4523

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem when I use my chip card but switch to my nonchiped card and it works also once I just told the clerk that it was a debit card without a chip and it worked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So Samsung Pay seems great in theory, but in practice is more of a nightmare.

The issues: Chip cards and Chip card readers.

Scenario 1: Store doesn't accept NFC payments, but accepts Chip Cards -> Samsung Pay is 100% unuseable. MST swipe tells the reader that you have a chip card, reader tells you to insert chip card - game over.

Scenario 2: Store accepts NFC Payments, Swipes, and Chip Cards -> Same problem as above, but it is a crap shoot as to whether the NFC part of Samsung Pay will register first or the MST part of Samsung Pay will register first. It's not fun to constantly retry the payment when you feel that you have no control over the success or not.

Is it possible to disable the MST part of Samsung Pay and make it purely NFC? If not, any tricks for avoiding the MST triggers? My phone was a decent distance away from the actual swipe portion of the terminal and still registered.

I never had this issue with my chipped cards. It just goes through.

Dan Bouchard

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Note that a lot of terminals "time out". I found that if I wait till the cashier is done ringing, to open and get started, the CC terminal times out. You'll know on these terminals if the little blue or green arrows stop flashing that it has timed out and it will not accept your card. Ask the cashier to reset. This works for me.
Samsung pay has worked for me everywhere. Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, Target. I have never had it not work.

anon(10183939)

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I continue to experience similar issues. At some terminals, the phone seems to have trouble deciding between MST (magnetic stripe) and NFC (near field communication).

Was at a Subway restaurant and had to try 5 times before finally getting the MST to work. The terminal only accepted NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay, apparently. This confused my phone to no end.

Sometimes the charge goes through quickly, other times I have to give up.

Where do people generally hold their phones for NFC vs MST?

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I continue to experience similar issues. At some terminals, the phone seems to have trouble deciding between MST (magnetic stripe) and NFC (near field communication).

Was at a Subway restaurant and had to try 5 times before finally getting the MST to work. The terminal only accepted NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay, apparently. This confused my phone to no end.

Sometimes the charge goes through quickly, other times I have to give up.

Where do people generally hold their phones for NFC vs MST?

I don't even bother with the NFC. I always just hold my phone where the magnetic card reader is. I look for those bumps on the inside where the card slide and hold my phone on that. It works every time and place I go. Ive been maintaining platinum level on Samsung pay lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1