So Samsung Pay seems great in theory, but in practice is more of a nightmare.

The issues: Chip cards and Chip card readers.

Scenario 1: Store doesn't accept NFC payments, but accepts Chip Cards -> Samsung Pay is 100% unuseable. MST swipe tells the reader that you have a chip card, reader tells you to insert chip card - game over.

Scenario 2: Store accepts NFC Payments, Swipes, and Chip Cards -> Same problem as above, but it is a crap shoot as to whether the NFC part of Samsung Pay will register first or the MST part of Samsung Pay will register first. It's not fun to constantly retry the payment when you feel that you have no control over the success or not.

Is it possible to disable the MST part of Samsung Pay and make it purely NFC? If not, any tricks for avoiding the MST triggers? My phone was a decent distance away from the actual swipe portion of the terminal and still registered.
    Jeff Allen1 likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:08 AM
    I linked my debit card to it and my debit card has a chip and I use mst all the time cause the store I use it at doesn't have nfc and it works just fine... It really depends on the terminal...
    markman097 likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:13 AM
    Wow, never had that problem and I tried it places where they accept Chip cards.
    09-05-2016 10:13 AM
    Huh? I use Samsung Pay on chip readers all the time. Just put the phone against the magnetic swipe thing.
    09-05-2016 10:14 AM
    The card reader doesn't recognize Samsung pay virtual cards as having chips, regardless of the original card having one
    dvarapala likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:14 AM
    I've experienced no issues with Samsung Pay anywhere, regardless of whether the card readers accepted chip cards or not.
    09-05-2016 10:20 AM
    Apparently my stores as just the worst? Tried at both a Target (no NFC, but Chip active) and a Shaws (NFC & Chip).

At target I was prompted to insert the card, and at Shaws I was prompted to insert the card until I got NFC to register instead of MST. Not a good start so far and will probably prevent me from trying it at more places.
    Jeff Allen1 likes this.
    09-05-2016 10:35 AM
    Apparently my stores as just the worst? Tried at both a Target (no NFC, but Chip active) and a Shaws (NFC & Chip).

At target I was prompted to insert the card, and at Shaws I was prompted to insert the card until I got NFC to register instead of MST. Not a good start so far and will probably prevent me from trying it at more places.
    I use mine at Target all the time. I have never had an issue. I would recommend deleting your cards and setting then back up again. I had the same issue on an unlocked version S7 edge. It wouldn't work anywhere. Once I did that, I had no problems.
    09-05-2016 11:12 AM
    Have used Samsung Pay at all types of terminals, with and without chip readers, with seldom a problem. Either you have an issue with the phone or perhaps need to review one of the YouTube videos showing the correct procedure.
    09-05-2016 12:24 PM
    I use mine with chip card readers all the time. Almost all my cards have the chips also. I've never been asked to insert a card.
    keepnitreel likes this.
    09-05-2016 12:32 PM
    Will likely wait until I get my replacement Note and try again - maybe it will clear up any hickups.

This is all with a Bank of America Visa Chip Card.
    09-05-2016 12:36 PM
    I've had no issues with Samsung Pay since Sept of last year regardless of the terminal type.
    09-05-2016 03:45 PM
    Will likely wait until I get my replacement Note and try again - maybe it will clear up any hickups.

This is all with a Bank of America Visa Chip Card.
    One of my cards is a BofA Debit chip card and one is a BofA Visa chip card. I've used both before successfully.
    09-05-2016 03:57 PM
    I have the same problem when I use my chip card but switch to my nonchiped card and it works also once I just told the clerk that it was a debit card without a chip and it worked.
    Jeff Allen1 likes this.
    11-08-2016 03:51 PM
    So Samsung Pay seems great in theory, but in practice is more of a nightmare.

The issues: Chip cards and Chip card readers.

Scenario 1: Store doesn't accept NFC payments, but accepts Chip Cards -> Samsung Pay is 100% unuseable. MST swipe tells the reader that you have a chip card, reader tells you to insert chip card - game over.

Scenario 2: Store accepts NFC Payments, Swipes, and Chip Cards -> Same problem as above, but it is a crap shoot as to whether the NFC part of Samsung Pay will register first or the MST part of Samsung Pay will register first. It's not fun to constantly retry the payment when you feel that you have no control over the success or not.

Is it possible to disable the MST part of Samsung Pay and make it purely NFC? If not, any tricks for avoiding the MST triggers? My phone was a decent distance away from the actual swipe portion of the terminal and still registered.
    I never had this issue with my chipped cards. It just goes through.
    11-08-2016 04:15 PM
    Never had that issue either. It just works!
    11-09-2016 08:48 AM
    Never works for me at CVS.
    Jeff Allen1 likes this.
    11-19-2016 01:11 PM
    Note that a lot of terminals "time out". I found that if I wait till the cashier is done ringing, to open and get started, the CC terminal times out. You'll know on these terminals if the little blue or green arrows stop flashing that it has timed out and it will not accept your card. Ask the cashier to reset. This works for me.
    Samsung pay has worked for me everywhere. Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, Target. I have never had it not work.
    01-02-2017 05:03 PM
    I continue to experience similar issues. At some terminals, the phone seems to have trouble deciding between MST (magnetic stripe) and NFC (near field communication).

Was at a Subway restaurant and had to try 5 times before finally getting the MST to work. The terminal only accepted NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay, apparently. This confused my phone to no end.

Sometimes the charge goes through quickly, other times I have to give up.

Where do people generally hold their phones for NFC vs MST?
    Jeff Allen1 likes this.
    03-05-2017 06:20 PM
    I continue to experience similar issues. At some terminals, the phone seems to have trouble deciding between MST (magnetic stripe) and NFC (near field communication).

Was at a Subway restaurant and had to try 5 times before finally getting the MST to work. The terminal only accepted NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay, apparently. This confused my phone to no end.

Sometimes the charge goes through quickly, other times I have to give up.

Where do people generally hold their phones for NFC vs MST?
    I don't even bother with the NFC. I always just hold my phone where the magnetic card reader is. I look for those bumps on the inside where the card slide and hold my phone on that. It works every time and place I go. Ive been maintaining platinum level on Samsung pay lol
    03-07-2017 05:55 PM
    Are you all saying that you don't believe Kevin? Are you all saying you don't believe ME when I say my Samsung Pay (via Gear S3 or Galaxy S8+) gets rejected more than half the time? Do you not believe us when we say the failure rate is increasing whenever a store upgrades to newer terminals?

On top of all that, cashiers frequently say ... OUT LOUD ... that my card was declined. Forget for a minute the effect these failures and embarassments have on existing users who vow never to try Samsung Pay ever again. Think about the handful of people watching this all unfold only to say, "pffft ... technology fails again". What are the chances they will embrace Samsung Pay?

It really angers me to see people bragging about how their stuff works while we suffer with issues. To those of you for whom this all works, you are amazing and you were born with a gift. Unfortunately, that gift is not appreciated in my Target or the new Dunkin Donuts.

Kevin is right, Samsung Pay is the best idea in the world becasue it was designed to work anywhere without requiring upgrades to terminals. Apple Pay and Android Pay are nightmares for small business owners who are forced to spend thousands to upgrade their payment systems just so they can support Android and Apply Pay.

So then, does Samsung possibly have a God Complex? Do they think this thing is so wonderful that they can just put it on cruise control and the world will come calling? If so, Samsung is underestimating the fact that Android Wear and Apple Pay are competing for the same market and, with only 28% of the market share, Samsung Pay is outnumbered more than 2 to 1.

When negociating with payment terminal maufacturers, I am sure that Apple Pay and Android Pay are doing everything they can behind the scenes to thwart each other but especially Samsung Pay. If Samsung Pay is allowed to succeed, they will win for sure.

To win, Samsung needs to do 3 things:

(1) make this tech available on other platforms and hardware (for a price of course) to minimize competitors attempts to kill it.

(2) set up Samsung Pay so that it has the ability to collect relevant failure data. There should be a button I press where I can either take a picture of the payment terminal model number or enter it in myself. Samsung can then email us later as to why that terinal failed and/or how to instruct us (or the cashier) to make it work.

(3) set up a place we can go where our complaints will be believed and responded to.
    06-29-2017 10:01 AM
    I tried using Samsung Pay today. Had the same issue. I used a Discover Card that has a chip. Didn't have my card so I thought let me try this new pay with my phone thing. Big flop, but I intend on finding out how this works.
    06-29-2017 06:22 PM
    I was an early adopter of Samsung Pay, but its reliability has gradually decreased to the point that it works maybe half the time. I am perplexed, because it obviously works fine for many users on their devices. Am I holding it wrong? Is it a problem with my device (a Galaxy S6)? I don't know, but ideas are appreciated.
    cattledogit likes this.
    07-29-2017 11:45 AM
    I have actually had the same problem as the first post. CVS I hold my phone far right to go mst and the cashier was amazed, I read CVS was blocking certain mobile wallets but mst worked. After reading peoples posts can I disable NFC to force Samsung pay to mst only? I have had multiple issues at NFC apple Android Samsung pay terminal, not old ones the new ones get jammed up and don't display declined they display need chip insert card.
    09-25-2017 09:50 PM
    I have every Google phone ever..... I always used Google wallet, wallet card, Android pay. Didn't get mst when I got my s8+ but when it works it's impressive, wish Google would almost act like a parent and sit Samsung down and say u get to have your own versions of everything stock Android and we don't care (I was actually huge anti Samsung and love pure Nexus and pixel) but now u need to cut out Samsung pay and let's merge with Android pay and fix the little issues to put apple pay to shame
    09-25-2017 09:55 PM