Camera RAW/DNG file storage?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've turned on RAW files on my Note 7. I go to "Pro" mode and get a message that "Both RAW and JPEG files will be saved in phone storage". But, I can't find the DNG files anywhere on my phone.

Images are being saved to the SD card, but I've searched both internal and SD memory and can't find any DNG files.

Has anyone successfully edited RAW files on the Note 7?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've turned on RAW files on my Note 7. I go to "Pro" mode and get a message that "Both RAW and JPEG files will be saved in phone storage". But, I can't find the DNG files anywhere on my phone.

Images are being saved to the SD card, but I've searched both internal and SD memory and can't find any DNG files.

I saw a dng upload to dropbox this morning, but couldn't find it on the device at that point. I changed some things so may be able to see one now. I'll check and report back. I'll let you know about the editing, too.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

In Pro Mode take the shot then go to your device /DCIM/Camera folder or your other app folder if you use another. I used Total Commander to find them. Loaded into Adobe raw just fine for editing.

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
As stated the photos are in the DCIM/Camera folder. There will be 2 photos for each capture... A dng and jpg. My advice is to download Snapseed which will allow RAW editing and when you select the photo (navigate for it in the folders option in Snapseed) it will automatically select the RAW photo and you'll know its the RAW photo because it will have a small RAW indicator on the photo when opened. Do not delete the jpg counterpart because Snapseed uses that to look for the RAW.

Don't feel uninformed about this. I needed to search deep into the Snapseed Internet forums to learn how this works. Not intuitive at all.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel uninformed about this. I needed to search deep into the Snapseed Internet forums to learn how this works. Not intuitive at all.
Agreed. Had to find it all on my own. I also use FV-5 and it includes an .xmp file. If you use FV-5 don't delete it.

I actually like the image from Samsung's camera better at this point, but not enough real-world testing yet. I need some live things to do some macros on. Dead stuff doesn't interest me and all vegetation here is nearly dead. No blackberries or bees, or any fun things. May need to take a ride up the mountain to find something live. LOL

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
No (and I don't have a Note7, at least not yet) my point is that DNG is made format as versus a "native" format and I'm surprised to see it mentioned here.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No (and I don't have a Note7, at least not yet) my point is that DNG is made format as versus a "native" format and I'm surprised to see it mentioned here.
I think it's more about having the settings right, knowing where to look, and for what, depending on the camera app, etc. Questions are normal in a forum. I usually use an external app and that one was obvious and that's what I based my answers on. Some are still setting up even though its recalled. I'm testing everything now.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using ES File Explorer, but can't find any .dng files anywhere on my phone. I checked the DCIM/Camera folder on both the SD card and internal memory. I see the JPEG, but not the RAW file.

edit...
Well, I finally found it.

I must say that I'm dumbfounded by the Android file system. I've been working with computers since the mid-80's and have dealt with lots of different file systems, but none as confusing as Android!

I initially found the DNG in /Storage/Emulated/0/DCIM/Camera, but now can't find that path again. I can now find it in /Sdcard/DCIM/Camera, which I believe is the internal RAM, not the SD card (but I could be wrong). When I look on the SD card (which I believe to be /storage/0000-0000/DCIM/Camera), I find my current JPEGs, but no DNGs.

FWIW, If I edit the JPEG and the RAW in Photoshop, there is virtually no difference between the two. It's kind of what I suspected, the sensor is so small, that editing the RAW file will offer little in the way of improvement over the JPEG.

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm using ES File Explorer, but can't find any .dng files anywhere on my phone. I checked the DCIM/Camera folder on both the SD card and internal memory. I see the JPEG, but not the RAW file.

edit...

I must say that I'm dumbfounded by the Android file system. I've been working with computers since the mid-80's and have dealt with lots of different file systems, but none as confusing as Android!

I initially found the DNG in /Storage/Emulated/0/DCIM/Camera, but now can't find that path again. I can now find it in /Sdcard/DCIM/Camera, which I believe is the internal RAM, not the SD card (but I could be wrong). When I look on the SD card (which I believe to be /storage/0000-0000/DCIM/Camera), I find my current JPEGs, but no DNGs.

FWIW, If I edit the JPEG and the RAW in Photoshop, there is virtually no difference between the two. It's kind of what I suspected, the sensor is so small, that editing the RAW file will offer little in the way of improvement over the JPEG.
There's a setting in ES FE that will allow you to see all files. The software configuration, in terms of item locations, can be challenging. Love Android anyway.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

edit...

There's a setting in ES FE that will allow you to see all files. You can also go to the tree and you'll see the option to use the extSD. You have to allow it. The software configuration, in terms of item locations, can be challenging. Love Android anyway. I would rather larger files, but thankful I'm getting the dng. I prefer the raw format.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance