09-07-2016 08:38 PM
174 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I searched for reports of any Note 7 incidents in the United States. The only one that I found was one in Boston that turn out to be false. Until I find proof of one catching fire and have been reported like those that happen overseas. I will not believe it.
    A TMobile rep posted a picture of a demo unit that was in his regional market that incinerated at a TMobile store. He posted it in this forum - the picture was shared with TMobile reps as a warning in their employee chat.
    09-05-2016 10:16 PM
    Show me the news articles! The overseas had news articles to support it. With all the talk about this phone I doubt it will not make the news. Although i have had no issues with my phone with overheating or any issues. I will get a new phone when they release the New Note 7's. For me nothing can replace my Note 7 but another Note 7.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...android-att-us

From the article:

"Samsung said it received 35 reports of the Note7 catching fire in South Korea, the United States, and Taiwan in the fortnight following its launch."

Samsung and all the carriers have been very clear - please stop using the device immediately.
    09-05-2016 10:18 PM

From the article:

"Samsung said it received 35 reports of the Note7 catching fire in South Korea, the United States, and Taiwan in the fortnight following its launch."

Samsung and all the carriers have been very clear - please stop using the device immediately.
    What carriers have said to stop using the device? And where has Samsung, outside of the Australia division in 1 article, made that statement?
    Solpete, Preach2k and jackash0912 like this.
    09-05-2016 10:23 PM
    That was on August 18th, when we all thought they'd have it.

On August 28th, after they revealed it, turns out it was basically similar to the US variant.

China Doesn’t Get Galaxy Note 7 With 6GB RAM After All
    09-05-2016 10:48 PM
    This was linked in an email I received from Samsung today regarding the recall.

"Is it okay for me to continue using my Note7?
    Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program for Note7 owners in which we are offering Note7 customers the opportunity to exchange their device for a Galaxy S7, a Galaxy S7 edge or a new Note7 (as early as next week)."

Still nothing definitive about continuing to use the phone until the replacements are distributed.
    jimd1050 and acentralist like this.
    09-05-2016 10:49 PM
    What carriers have said to stop using the device? And where has Samsung, outside of the Australia division in 1 article, made that statement?
    Well when I get a text like this:

AT&T Free Msg: Samsung has announced that current Galaxy Note7 devices may have a potential battery issue and are investigating the issue for potential safety concerns. Please return your device and any Note7 accessories for an exchange as soon as possible. You can get more details at https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1122948

I read it as "for your safety, please stop using the device and return it immediately"

How do you read it?

As another example - Would you continue to use or drive a car with manufacturer/dealership sending you a similar note outlining "potential brake failures"?

Granted that's like comparing apples and oranges with respect to overall context - but the message (and underlying request to please stop using the phone) remains the same....
    09-05-2016 11:03 PM
    Sprint wasn't quite as urgent.. Lol

Sprint: Note7 sales suspended due to battery cell issues. Visit Sprint store to return or replace device.
    09-05-2016 11:15 PM
    This was linked in an email I received from Samsung today regarding the recall.

"Is it okay for me to continue using my Note7?
    Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program for Note7 owners in which we are offering Note7 customers the opportunity to exchange their device for a Galaxy S7, a Galaxy S7 edge or a new Note7 (as early as next week)."

Still nothing definitive about continuing to use the phone until the replacements are distributed.
    Except common sense
    09-05-2016 11:21 PM
    Except common sense
    "Common sense is not so common"
    -Voltaire
    Inevitable Flux likes this.
    09-05-2016 11:35 PM
    Well when I get a text like this:

AT&T Free Msg: Samsung has announced that current Galaxy Note7 devices may have a potential battery issue and are investigating the issue for potential safety concerns. Please return your device and any Note7 accessories for an exchange as soon as possible. You can get more details at https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1122948

I read it as "for your safety, please stop using the device and return it immediately"

How do you read it?

As another example - Would you continue to use or drive a car with manufacturer/dealership sending you a similar note outlining "potential brake failures"?

Granted that's like comparing apples and oranges with respect to overall context - but the message (and underlying request to please stop using the phone) remains the same....
    The support page says that a potential issue is being investigated and that you are encouraged to exchange the device but one of the recommended devices is another Note 7 which is not even available. Of course we have had at least one report on the forums of an AT&T store still selling Note 7's so there's that. SMH.

No carrier, or Samsung, aside from their Australia division in 1 article, has said stop using the device. And stating as such is tantamount to fear mongering.
    jackash0912 and msndrstood like this.
    09-06-2016 12:30 AM
    The support page says that a potential issue is being investigated and that you are encouraged to exchange the device but one of the recommended devices is another Note 7 which is not even available. Of course we have had at least one report on the forums of an AT&T store still selling Note 7's so there's that. SMH.

No carrier, or Samsung, aside from their Australia division in 1 article, has said stop using the device. And stating as such is tantamount to fear mongering.
    I guess that store didn't get the memo. Smh
    09-06-2016 12:45 AM
    Oh, it looks so horrible.......it's like the Sun God has unleashed it's fury on this device
    09-06-2016 02:14 AM
    There was s report of one in Boston that impacted a woman's car, and a floor model in Missouri that blew up. Both discussed on this forum.
    Boston was a false report. Missouri was word of mouth where is the News report?
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    09-06-2016 04:18 AM

From the article:

I know the ones overseas. Where are the news reports of batteries exploding in the U.S. not word of mouth. Not what someone said happened in this forum. News articles or reports, Facts. I know it happened overseas because their is proof with news articles to follow. Their are NONE in the United States!
    dcooper830 likes this.
    09-06-2016 04:24 AM
    So... Let me get this straight -

Because Samsung / Carriers have attempted everything to ask their customers to return and exchange their phones for a loaner, refund, or a direct exchange of another device, yet do not specifically state "do not use the phone" .........

(if you don't understand why they will continue to skirt around officially stating this from a corporate standpoint - you should *really* go take a business 101 class) -

AND/OR there isn't a specific press release of a phone being burned in the US.....

(because perhaps the media are more concerned about reporting on the larger story instead of focusing a single report - as there are already confirmed reports *worldwide*)....

People are choosing to be ignorant of the recall and continue to use their phones "because there isn't anything wrong with mine" or "the battery isn't overheating more than normal when I charge it" or actively comparing their temps against others to justify there's no issue thus no need to return ???

Sigh.... Good luck... smh...
    Serkle K and Inevitable Flux like this.
    09-06-2016 06:57 AM
    So... Let me get this straight -

Because Samsung / Carriers have attempted everything to ask their customers to return and exchange their phones for a loaner, refund, or a direct exchange of another device, yet do not specifically state "do not use the phone" .........

(if you don't understand why they will continue to skirt around officially stating this from a corporate standpoint - you should *really* go take a business 101 class) -

AND/OR there isn't a specific press release of a phone being burned in the US.....

(because perhaps the media are more concerned about reporting on the larger story instead of focusing a single report - as there are already confirmed reports *worldwide*)....

People are choosing to be ignorant of the recall and continue to use their phones "because there isn't anything wrong with mine" or "the battery isn't overheating more than normal when I charge it" or actively comparing their temps against others to justify there's no issue thus no need to return ???

Sigh.... Good luck... smh...
    There are recalls all the time. Do you understand .1 % got bad batteries. I not telling you or any other to not to return their phones. There are No Reports at all of a Battery exploding in the U.S. Only Overseas. I am not afraid of my phone exploding . I monitor my phone and watch the temps.when charging. Just a reminder Verizon has not said anything about loaner phones. I am on Verizon. If you return your phone and get an S7 and you are coming from an S6 or Note 4 like I came from. That is considered an upgrade. The Verizon Loophole!!! You will be stuck with that phone or pay restocking fees . I am have been using this phone for almost a week like I used my Note 7 for business. Electronic Signatures. No issues at all. So I am not afraid. I will get the Replacement Note 7 next week or in the following. Until then I will continue to use it.

P.S. I believe that if any incident happen in the U.S. it will get reported and it will make every electronic news media. Android Central, Verge, Android Authority, Sam Mobile, Pocket Now, and Android News!!! It will get out there!!!
    09-06-2016 07:12 AM
    There are recalls all the time. Do you understand .1 % got bad batteries. I not telling you or any other to not to return their phones. There are No Reports at all of a Battery exploding in the U.S. Only Overseas. I am not afraid of my phone exploding . I monitor my phone and watch the temps.when charging. Just a reminder Verizon has not said anything about loaner phones. I am on Verizon. If you return your phone and get an S7 and you are coming from an S6 or Note 4 like I came from. That is considered an upgrade. The Verizon Loophole!!! You will be stuck with that phone or pay restocking fees . I am have been using this phone for almost a week like I used my Note 4 for business. Electronic Signatures. No issues at all. So I am not afraid. I will get the Replacement Note 7 next week or in the following. Until then I will continue to use it.
    I get where you're coming from... its a pain and huge inconvenience to some to return the phone and I'm not discounting your choice - but the other side of this is if your phone happens to have the issue, blow up, and cause damage - you can't then take a stance and expect to be renumerated at that time...

Im interested though - If there were a report of a phone exploding today in the US - would it make a difference? Would you actually return it then?

I chose to return mine because mine was already exhibiting very questionable issues with the battery charging a few days before the recall was announced. Add to that I didn't want to take the risk of hurting my family.

BTW - when at the store returning my phone and the ATT manager told me about the other customer bringing in a burned device - I don't know why, but I simply *believed* her based in other contributing facts available...
    09-06-2016 07:28 AM
    Samsung should say, for your troubles, we've decided to put in the tried and true 3600 mah battery the 7 Edge has... then people will be happy to swap theirs for the bigger battery.
    vespesian likes this.
    09-06-2016 07:31 AM
    There are recalls all the time. Do you understand .1 % got bad batteries. I not telling you or any other to not to return their phones. There are No Reports at all of a Battery exploding in the U.S. Only Overseas. I am not afraid of my phone exploding . I monitor my phone and watch the temps.when charging. Just a reminder Verizon has not said anything about loaner phones. I am on Verizon. If you return your phone and get an S7 and you are coming from an S6 or Note 4 like I came from. That is considered an upgrade. The Verizon Loophole!!! You will be stuck with that phone or pay restocking fees . I am have been using this phone for almost a week like I used my Note 7 for business. Electronic Signatures. No issues at all. So I am not afraid. I will get the Replacement Note 7 next week or in the following. Until then I will continue to use it.

P.S. I believe that if any incident happen in the U.S. it will get reported and it will make every electronic news media. Android Central, Verge, Android Authority, Sam Mobile, Pocket Now, and Android News!!! It will get out there!!!
    Percent is based on fallacious data and there have been reported cases in the US. 70% of the devices made have bad batteries; most of the bad batteries simply haven't combusted yet.
    09-06-2016 07:38 AM
    Samsung should say, for your troubles, we've decided to put in the tried and true 3600 mah battery the 7 Edge has... then people will be happy to swap theirs for the bigger battery.
    That'd require reengineering the device. There is no room in the current device.
    09-06-2016 07:39 AM
    Im interested though - If there were a report of a phone exploding today in the US - would it make a difference? Would you actually return it then?
    Yes I would return for an Note 4. which I gave up!

I use the S-Pen a lot. I would need another Note. Note 5 is Garbage to me. No Microsd. so Note 7 or Bust!!! Verge is saying New Note 7's are coming Next week.
    09-06-2016 07:41 AM
    Percent is based on fallacious data and there have been reported cases in the US. 70% of the devices made have bad batteries; most of the bad batteries simply haven't combusted yet.
    Where show me proof and please do not say the one in Boston because that was not true! Please show me the reports. Until then Just overseas because there has been proof!!!
    09-06-2016 07:45 AM
    I get where you're coming from... its a pain and huge inconvenience to some to return the phone and I'm not discounting your choice - but the other side of this is if your phone happens to have the issue, blow up, and cause damage - you can't then take a stance and expect to be renumerated at that time...

I chose to return mine because mine was already exhibiting very questionable issues with the battery charging a few days before the recall was announced. Add to that I didn't want to take the risk of hurting my family.

BTW - when at the store returning my phone and the ATT manager told me about the other customer bringing in a burned device - I don't know why, but I simply *believed* her based in other contributing facts available...
    Actually, if my phone was to have an issue today and cause damage to my house, then Samsung would still be on the hook for the damages. They have not done anything in the US to give them an out for not covering.

I don't keep a backup device, T-Mobile isn't providing a loaner, and I'm not spending money on another phone for 'just in case'. If I did that, I'd need 2 of everything that has batteries or plugs into a wall and I would need to keep the extra in a 2nd house just in case my first house burns down.

If people want to turn in their device, more power to them. Plenty of people don't want to do that and are utilizing one of the recommended options by Samsung and the carriers which is to exchange the device when new ones are available.
    jackash0912, msndrstood and nonie like this.
    09-06-2016 07:48 AM
    Where show me proof and please do not say the one in Boston because that was not true! Please show me the reports. Until then Just overseas because there has been proof!!!
    Samsung’s Massive Galaxy Note 7 Recall Brings Battery-Maker Into Focus - WSJ

From the article (my emphasis in bold):

Samsung Electronics also relies on another supplier, Hong Kong-based Amperex Technology Ltd., a unit of Japanese electronic parts maker TDK Corp. An Amperex official said Monday (9/5) it only supplied batteries for Galaxy Note 7 phones sold in China. Samsung Electronics went ahead with the launch of the new phones in China on Sept. 1 even as it carried out additional quality tests in South Korea in response to reports of some devices catching fire while charging.
    Roughly 65% of the batteries for the new smartphone were supplied by Samsung SDI, while 35% were made by Amperex Technology, Nomura analyst Chris Chang estimated.

So, the 'good' batteries seem to have only made it into phones sold in the Chinese domestic market. So even if your phone is marked as made in China, that battery was likely sourced from Samsung SDI, the source of the problem. The '0.1% affected' report came from very early reports before Samsung had a chance to analyze the information and make a determination. When they did discover the root of the problem, it freaked them out enough that they immediately issued a worldwide recall of ALL Note 7s.

I know you want to think your Note 7 is safe, because you are probably using in, like it, and don't want to go through the trouble of getting it replaced once units are available. I got my wife one myself and I am annoyed that her nice new Note - that I am sure she was going to really enjoy - is now sitting in a box on a shelf while I wait for T-Mobile to get replacements available. The phone on which you might very well be reading this is not safe. It may fail and catch fire no matter how careful you are to charge it or monitor its temperature.
    09-06-2016 08:20 AM
    Is there any reports of batteries failing after a few weeks of charging cycles? Not adding up to have failures after several initial charges. Batteries tend to be very objective with catastrophic failure. A battery is usually good or bad soon after using.
    09-06-2016 08:25 AM
174 ... 23456 ...