Note 7 went boom

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought you meant you literally could not return it at all. Still lame, none the less how Target is managing this. They want to bait people to come into their stores, but not support them after sales. That is unless Samsung directed them to do this.

I pretty much can't return it. Samsung says the exchange is to go through Target. Target is saying the opposite so I'm kinda stuck.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much can't return it. Samsung says the exchange is to go through Target. Target is saying the opposite so I'm kinda stuck.

Someone said it in another thread I think, but it seems like there is a bottleneck of information at Target or something that's holding up the decision. If Target wants people to buy mobile phones at their stores, they'll fall in line to what the competitors (retail AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy, Costco, Sam's and Walmart) are doing.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Update Local Verizon Store told me September 14th the New Notes will drop! Tried to talk me into getting S7. So Next Wednesday I will be there to exchange for a New Note. I ask him will these be refurbished phones like a Insurance replacement. He said absolutely not because of the recall. It must be New Notes 7's replacing the old.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, this is the best reason to have removable batteries in phones. It would have cost Samsung a lot less and no inconvenience to the consumer to just replace a battery. I've read reports the Note 7 recall will cost Samsung about $1B-$5B dollars! OUCH! Hope Samsung changes their design to include removable batteries.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

F that. I'd be calling the state attorney generals office and even the media if they refused to take a recalled device back.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, this is the best reason to have removable batteries in phones. It would have cost Samsung a lot less and no inconvenience to the consumer to just replace a battery. I've read reports the Note 7 recall will cost Samsung about $1B-$5B dollars! OUCH! Hope Samsung changes their design to include removable batteries.
The cost to Samsung is all speculation at this point and will most likely be mostly theoretical loss due to forecasted missed sales.

I would just guess that Samsung carries recall insurance to protect them financially against just these sort of things.

Product Recall Insurance
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/product-recall-insurance.asp

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Android Authority posted a perspective on how this recall will impact the Note 7 and S7/S7 Edge resale values. Any device previously used/repaired will have to be sold as a refurb. We'll see some interesting prices over the next few months.

I'm certain that development on the 8 series is well under way, and I'm hoping that Samsung steps away from the glass back design, finds some type of shatterproof version of GG, while keeping the removable storage option. We all like thin and sleek looking devices, but all glass is turning out to be a pain when we are expecting an increase in durability each year. I'd be fine with a sealed metal back or removable plastic/rubberized back available in a number of color options and textures.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Samsung, by their own official language, does not deem every phone as unsafe. Option 3 of their official US product exchange notification is to exchange the device when new phones become available. Nothing about turning the phone off and not using it and nowhere do they call the device unsafe.

I understand your position - but it's clear that there's concern on using the device - even from Samsung's site directly - link:

Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program

Per their response in their FAQs - First Question:

1. Is it okay for me to continue using my Note7?

Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program for Note7 owners in which we are offering Note7 customers the opportunity to exchange their device for a Galaxy S7, a Galaxy S7 edge or a new Note7 (as early as this week).

And to further add detail - Second Question:

2. What is the problem with the Note7 phone?
We have identified an issue with certain Note7 battery cells. Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program.

This is in line with all carriers - in that everyone is outlining "safety concerns" with using the device.

By your statement - granted - they aren't saying specifically *every* phone is unsafe to use (nor will they for obvious reasons) - however, they are obviously stating that there are safety concerns for all devices in general at this point and recommending to return the device (and by extension - not use it). Simply stating the obvious fact that they haven't provided an alternative plan for you to have another N7 exchanged immediately doesn't necessarily negate the fact that there are safety concerns about the device being documented across all carriers as well as with Samsung.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I understand your position - but it's clear that there's concern on using the device - even from Samsung's site directly - link:

Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program

Per their response in their FAQs - First Question:

1. Is it okay for me to continue using my Note7?

Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program for Note7 owners in which we are offering Note7 customers the opportunity to exchange their device for a Galaxy S7, a Galaxy S7 edge or a new Note7 (as early as this week).

And to further add detail - Second Question:

2. What is the problem with the Note7 phone?
We have identified an issue with certain Note7 battery cells. Because your safety is our utmost concern, we ask you to take advantage of the U.S. Product Exchange Program.

This is in line with all carriers - in that everyone is outlining "safety concerns" with using the device.

By your statement - granted - they aren't saying specifically *every* phone is unsafe to use (nor will they for obvious reasons) - however, they are obviously stating that there are safety concerns for all devices in general at this point and recommending to return the device (and by extension - not use it). Simply stating the obvious fact that they haven't provided an alternative plan for you to have another N7 exchanged immediately doesn't necessarily negate the fact that there are safety concerns about the device being documented across all carriers as well as with Samsung.
None of that language says anything about not using the device, especially when one course of action is replacing it with a new Note 7 once available. If they wanted to say don't use the device then option 3 wouldn't even be an option. They would say get a refund or switch to another phone and that's it.

If people don't want to use the device, that's fine, I don't really care. I'm paying for this phone so I'm going to use it. My choice.

But people coming on here and stating that the device is unsafe and Samsung is stating that are spreading fear and are flat out wrong.

daisyd1224

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Same here, but still wondering where the actual failure is, since two places can cause it- based on the heat damage location.
1. Power bridge module from USB-C port to battery
2. Battery cell

If option 1, that could take longer to fail than the battery- ticking boom boom

If option 2, that would fail almost immediately. This would show either with very low battery life, or the obvious fire issue.
And this is what confuses me because it has been said a few places that it's a bad cell in the battery. So it should fail quickly? Nobody has said if in all the cases it was early on or if they had been charging with no issues before the fire or if they were even charging at all at the time of the fire in all the cases. That's the part I guess that bothers me. Without details I'm unable to make an informed choice. I've had mine since the 19th. Charged at least twice a day. Left on the charger overnight. Charged it at work in 110 degree environment and left it on charger there too. But I'm supposed to think the next time might be the time it catches fire. I understand precautions and I will trade in my phone. I just wish I knew if it would be fine until new ones are in. I can't be without a phone and I sent my note 4 in for rebate. 10 days (they say the 16th) is a long time to be paranoid. Lol. I just don't know what to do.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
And this is what confuses me because it has been said a few places that it's a bad cell in the battery. So it should fail quickly? Nobody has said if in all the cases it was early on or if they had been charging with no issues or if they were even charging at all. That's the part I guess that bothers me. Without details I'm unable to make an informed choice. I've had mine since the 19th. Charged at least twice a day. Left on the charger overnight. Charged it at work in 110 degree environment and left it on charger there too. But I'm supposed to think the next time might be the time it catches fire. I understand precautions and I will trade in my phone. I just wish I knew if it would be fine until new ones are in. I can't be without a phone and I sent my note 4 in for rebate. 10 days (they say the 16th) is a long time to be paranoid. Lol. I just don't know what to do.

I'm in the same boat as you!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Sprint wasn't quite as urgent.. Lol

Sprint: Note7 sales suspended due to battery cell issues. Visit Sprint store to return or replace device.
And I called my Sprint store today and talked to the manager. They won't have them until the middle of next week and he didn't know how many they would get. He told me to call Monday and check on the status, never once did he say stop using the phone. They were so insistent that I return my Note 5 that they had already charged my account the $450 balance remaining on the phone, so I sent it back. I had planned on keeping it, but I can't eat $450. And I'm not about to get a loaner and not put a case or screen protector on it for 2 weeks. So here I am on my Note 7. I charge it once a day and watch it like a hawk for that hour while it's charging and hoping that I got one of the good ones. Ironically, my Note 5 started overheating like crazy when returned it, it would get so hot I couldn't hold it. The battery would die in 4 hours or so. Like I said, ironic.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
And I called my Sprint store today and talked to the manager. They won't have them until the middle of next week and he didn't know how many they would get. He told me to call Monday and check on the status, never once did he say stop using the phone. They were so insistent that I return my Note 5 that they had already charged my account the $450 balance remaining on the phone, so I sent it back. I had planned on keeping it, but I can't eat $450. And I'm not about to get a loaner and not put a case or screen protector on it for 2 weeks. So here I am on my Note 7. I charge it once a day and watch it like a hawk for that hour while it's charging and hoping that I got one of the good ones. Ironically, my Note 5 started overheating like crazy when returned it, it would get so hot I couldn't hold it. The battery would die in 4 hours or so. Like I said, ironic.
The Sept. 14th just like Verizon!

V6Hawk

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
From what i've heard we'll get them (T-mobile) in the middle of September as well, also as far as having the phone with no case or anything on it we were told if the phone is returned broken the customer still will not have to pay for anything. A full refund will be given, but it will just be a bit more round-about.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
None of that language says anything about not using the device, especially when one course of action is replacing it with a new Note 7 once available. If they wanted to say don't use the device then option 3 wouldn't even be an option. They would say get a refund or switch to another phone and that's it.

If people don't want to use the device, that's fine, I don't really care. I'm paying for this phone so I'm going to use it. My choice.

But people coming on here and stating that the device is unsafe and Samsung is stating that are spreading fear and are flat out wrong.

They can't outright say "don't use the device" if they want to circumvent each country's laws around official recalls. Samsung has carefully framed the message as a voluntary recall and exchange program. This allows them to bypass government regulations that are normally followed for recalls and get the devices out faster. So don't pay too much attention to that because it's publicity and legal wording to by pass protocols.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
From what i've heard we'll get them (T-mobile) in the middle of September as well, also as far as having the phone with no case or anything on it we were told if the phone is returned broken the customer still will not have to pay for anything. A full refund will be given, but it will just be a bit more round-about.

So possibly next week sometime? Can I get it faster possibly by having them ship it to me and I ship old one back. They told me on twitter and 611 I probably could do that too.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
They can't outright say "don't use the device" if they want to circumvent each country's laws around official recalls. Samsung has carefully framed the message as a voluntary recall and exchange program. This allows them to bypass government regulations that are normally followed for recalls and get the devices out faster. So don't pay too much attention to that because it's publicity and legal wording to by pass protocols.
If Samsung is truly concerned about safety sd they thought the devices were really unsafe they wouldn't try to circumvent laws just to get replacement devices out sooner.

There's no doubt this recall is being investigated by the countries effected and yet no government or consumer protection agency has come forward to state the devices are unsafe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac