09-09-2016 04:25 AM
217 12345 ...
tools
    To tell the truth I am still on the fence somewhat. I am using an iPhone 6S Plus right now while I wait for the Note to go back on sale and am enjoying aspects of it. I will have to see what the new iPhone has going for it, but for now I am leaning toward getting the Note back. I loved the phone minus the battery life in comparison to an iPhone but it lasted all day so that isn't a huge issue. I don't think Apple wins by default, they will have to blow it out of the water tomorrow if they want some people to stick with iPhone but I think the majority have their minds made up. The leaks of the iPhone 7 or whatever it gets called are not making me want to buy it even a little bit. Don't care about an extra camera nor do I want the same design for a third straight year plus iOS 10, while better, is still very stale.
    09-06-2016 06:47 AM
    I dropped my 6S Plus at least 5 times, including waist high on concrete. Nothing happened but a few scratches. Same thing with my iPhone 6 before.
    Perhaps, but if you are implying that iPhones don't break on a drop, we all know that's not the case. There's a select few phones on the market that are truly rugged, and to be honest, few buy them because they are either exclusive to a carrier or they are crappy phones that happen to be tough.

I think that this might help Apple in the short term, but they aren't going to make big inroads on Android.... Android phones have a 82% world market share, and the Note accounts for a small piece of that pie.
    lions_lair99 likes this.
    09-06-2016 06:47 AM
    Not really.

I'm actually warming up to the iPhone 7 after knowing a little more about its hardware (but no headphone jack is going to be annoying to me, though), but I don't think people are automatically going to jump ship to Apple following the recall. For 3 reasons.

• The Galaxy Note has a loyal fanbase. While some people don't care about the S Pen and bought it just for the bigger size, there's quite a few in the Note userbase that have stuck with the Galaxy Note-line for a long time, and those people are not very likely to be going to an iPhone, or any other phone in that matter. Some Note7 users will switch to either an iPhone or another Android phone, but considering the way Samsung has handled this, I don't think there will be a mass Titanic-esque abandonment.

• This ties in to the first reason, but people who are heavily vested into one ecosystem isn't as likely to be going over to another platform. For instance, someone who's deep into the Apple ecosystem is less likely to move over to Android unless it's for curiosity's sake and the same applies for those who are deep in the Google ecosystem. Note that they are less likely to be moving platforms, but some still do.

• This isn't a straight victory for Apple. They still have their own hardware issue to deal with, and that is the Touch Disease thing with the iPhone 6, where the Touch IC chips are more prone to damage due to the flawed build of the iPhone 6 (especially the Plus), where it is susceptible to bending without too much force along with the use of a sticker-shield instead of a metal one. The newer iPhone 6s series is unaffected as the chips are in the display itself, along with the stronger build, though Apple's apparent silence on this is prompting a lawsuit. It's less serious than a recall due to exploding batteries, which can be dangerous and requires prompt action to avoid liabilities, but this is also an issue that needs some attention.

Of course, I'm just predicting what could happen, but this isn't an automatic win for Apple. They still have their own issues to sort out and we're not done with the year's releases yet.
    09-06-2016 07:17 AM
    Not really.

I'm actually warming up to the iPhone 7 after knowing a little more about its hardware (but no headphone jack is going to be annoying to me, though), but I don't think people are automatically going to jump ship to Apple following the recall. For 3 reasons.

• The Galaxy Note has a loyal fanbase. While some people don't care about the S Pen and bought it just for the bigger size, there's quite a few in the Note userbase that have stuck with the Galaxy Note-line for a long time, and those people are not very likely to be going to an iPhone, or any other phone in that matter. Some Note7 users will switch to either an iPhone or another Android phone, but considering the way Samsung has handled this, I don't think there will be a mass Titanic-esque abandonment.

• This ties in to the first reason, but people who are heavily vested into one ecosystem isn't as likely to be going over to another platform. For instance, someone who's deep into the Apple ecosystem is less likely to move over to Android unless it's for curiosity's sake and the same applies for those who are deep in the Google ecosystem. Note that they are less likely to be moving platforms, but some still do.

• This isn't a straight victory for Apple. They still have their own hardware issue to deal with, and that is the Touch Disease thing with the iPhone 6, where the Touch IC chips are more prone to damage due to the flawed build of the iPhone 6 (especially the Plus), where it is susceptible to bending without too much force along with the use of a sticker-shield instead of a metal one. The newer iPhone 6s series is unaffected as the chips are in the display itself, along with the stronger build, though Apple's apparent silence on this is prompting a lawsuit. It's less serious than a recall due to exploding batteries, which can be dangerous and requires prompt action to avoid liabilities, but this is also an issue that needs some attention.

Of course, I'm just predicting what could happen, but this isn't an automatic win for Apple. They still have their own issues to sort out and we're not done with the year's releases yet.
    No!!!! Don't Go over to the Dark Side!!!!
    09-06-2016 07:22 AM
    No!!!! Don't Go over to the Dark Side!!!!
    Lol, I'm not jumping ship.

But I am interested in using one for a bit.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-06-2016 07:30 AM
    Be careful... you know what they say... once you go iPhone 7 in Dark Black...
    Piano Black and Dark Black colorways “confirmed” by new iPhone 7 test unit stickers

09-06-2016 07:39 AM
    Not really.

iPhone has a much bigger fanbase than any other single model out there. Since iPhone 6 where iPhone ditched the tiny screen, I have seen much much more people converting from Android to iPhone than the other way round.

With such a good phone in Note 7, I just felt it's a pity Samsung cannot capitalise more on it, and will lose many potential users with the recall.
    09-06-2016 07:46 AM
    iPhone has a much bigger fanbase than any other single model out there. Since iPhone 6 where iPhone ditched the tiny screen, I have seen much much more people converting from Android to iPhone than the other way round.

With such a good phone in Note 7, I just felt it's a pity Samsung cannot capitalise more on it, and will lose many potential users with the recall.
    Yeah, the iPhone does have a loyal fanbase as well, but the Note also has its own set of fans.

I don't think those who are accustomed to a Galaxy Note will want to jump ship to an iPhone out of the blue, unless they are bored and want to try something different. Same goes for those accustomed to an iPhone.
    09-06-2016 07:48 AM
    If they surprised us and said the pen used on the iPad pro works on the iPhone 7 Plus... or any of the iPhones and added note apps... that would be something. Make the pen the $100 option or whatever they want for it and let the customer decide. Sell iphone cases with pen cylos. With the Current iPad pro out... not too far fetched in near future.

Yeah, the iPhone does have a loyal fanbase as well, but the Note also has its own set of fans.

I don't think those who are accustomed to a Galaxy Note will want to jump ship to an iPhone out of the blue, unless they are bored and want to try something different. Same goes for those accustomed to an iPhone.
    09-06-2016 08:13 AM
    I think that the OP is basing his opinion on something that is not entirely true. Galaxy Note line is not Samsung's bread and butter line, yes they sell very well, and the Note 7 may be the best Samsung phone yet, but for the regular customer, the ones that goes to the store and buy, the S line is Samsung's "latest phone" and go to phones,so no, because the Note 7 has been recalled it won't make too much of a difference in the whole scenario, because the S7 and S7 edge are really, the direct competitors of whatever Apple releases now. If the recall would have been for the S7/S7 edge then that would have been another story.
    09-06-2016 08:36 AM
    I still can't believe how many people don't understand a recall. Samsung is giving you a brand new phone that they've perfected after discovering an issue. Other than the 'nuissance' of going in to have it replaced, how is that so bad?
    While that may be true it's all about the general public's perception. While the people in the know understand the situation and see it like how you described, most don't. We are the minority here. A lot of people are just going to see "Oh wow Samsung phones explode, I'm not buying one of those." I have had a bunch of people I know tell me "OMG you got the new Samsung phone, you should stop using it, it's going to explode!" because they just see the headlines which are always sensationalized. This happening on the heels of the next iPhone being announced is going to hurt Samsung. Maybe not as bad if it were the S7/S7E as those are more mainstream then the Note but anyone deciding between the Note 7 or the 7 plus might be swayed by this.
    09-06-2016 09:04 AM
    Oh, I am sure it'll have some impact, but stuff like this usually evaporates at some point... people stop caring and find something else to pay attention to. Samsung isn't some unknown OEM trying to make a name for itself. Had this happened to a relatively unknown brand, or a brand looking to break into the US market, Huawei for instance, it could be a near fatal blow.

And Samsung has the juice to absorb the blow and find ways to 'make things right'.... between marketing, advertising, etc. I mean, if you were going to be interested in the upcoming S8, I suspect you'll get some extra freebies, more than what they've already been shelling out.
    09-06-2016 09:21 AM
    While that may be true it's all about the general public's perception. While the people in the know understand the situation and see it like how you described, most don't. We are the minority here. A lot of people are just going to see "Oh wow Samsung phones explode, I'm not buying one of those." I have had a bunch of people I know tell me "OMG you got the new Samsung phone, you should stop using it, it's going to explode!" because they just see the headlines which are always sensationalized. This happening on the heels of the next iPhone being announced is going to hurt Samsung. Maybe not as bad if it were the S7/S7E as those are more mainstream then the Note but anyone deciding between the Note 7 or the 7 plus might be swayed by this.
    Samsung dealt with it quickly and the battery issue is quickly going to become history. So while it would reduce sales initially, I doubt it would even affect the note 7's sales around November/December. Although those sales may seem less bad just because people delayed purchase to see if it's sorted out.
    09-06-2016 09:28 AM
    I'm going to guess that most Note fans are not going to be deterred by this recall if it's handled right.

Apple really has nothing to do with this as they are an entity to themselves and will sell a butt load of phones regardless.
    09-06-2016 09:38 AM
    I'm don't think they will claim victory, but it wouldn't surprise me if I smart remark is made during their presentation tomorrow. I'm mainly an Android user but, delve into the IOS ecosystem pretty well also, when I have a Iphone. One thing about Samsung that impresses me is that they seem to be the only Android phone that get's Apple's attention. I was in a Apple Store a few months ago, and the guy helping me teased me about having a Samsung phone in there (S7 edge).
    09-06-2016 09:42 AM
    We all know Apple is loving this, but have they won?
    Does it really matter who wins? Doesn't change my buying decisions. I won't buy an Iphone or a Samsung... they just don't offer what I want.
    09-06-2016 09:51 AM
    And what is there to win? We all know the iPhone will outsell the more enthusiast nitch of a Note phone, regardless of any recall.

Apple's real competition is the S7 and S7 Edge, which is the top selling phone of 2016.
    09-06-2016 09:55 AM
    I'm going to guess that most Note fans are not going to be deterred by this recall if it's handled right.

Apple really has nothing to do with this as they are an entity to themselves and will sell a butt load of phones regardless.
    Ya, there will always be a group of Android fans and iPhone fans who will not change camp no matter what. It's those who are sitting on the fence and thinking of which to get, and Samsung will likely lose this group of people due to this saga.
    09-06-2016 09:57 AM
    Iphone 7 performance will wipe the floor with the Note 7. There are reasons for buying the iPhone. Samsung messed up badly. I was considering the Note 7 but the fragility of the device is ridiculous. I don't want to put my phone in a showcase but in my pocket.
    I can't speak for the Note 7, however I can tell you todays top Android phones running Android 6.0 with the 820 processor are lightning fast and very stable. So if the Iphone 7 can top that it won't be noticeable.
    09-06-2016 09:58 AM
    And what is there to win? We all know the iPhone will outsell the more enthusiast nitch of a Note phone, regardless of any recall.

Apple's real competition is the S7 and S7 Edge, which is the top selling phone of 2016.
    Hasn't the Note inched closer to being a mainstream device as of late?

I mean, the S-line remains their mainstream flagship, but it kinda feels that way.
    09-06-2016 10:08 AM
    Ya, there will always be a group of Android fans and iPhone fans who will not change camp no matter what. It's those who are sitting on the fence and thinking of which to get, and Samsung will likely lose this group of people due to this saga.
    And that's just life. Just like Samsung took advantage of slowing iPhone sales and botched HTC and LG launches earlier in the year
    09-06-2016 10:58 AM

I'm interested too, lol.
    09-06-2016 11:04 AM
    Hasn't the Note inched closer to being a mainstream device as of late?

I mean, the S-line remains their mainstream flagship, but it kinda feels that way.
    The Note is more mainstream now then back when I bought my Note 3. But at its current price point? It's got a smaller, more hardcore fan base.
    09-06-2016 11:05 AM
    Lets just see how people take the iPhone without a headphone jack...that's what i'm waiting to see
    09-06-2016 11:09 AM
    Lets just see how people take the iPhone without a headphone jack...that's what i'm waiting to see
    As long as they have an adaptor for third party headphones they won't care and they will probably include a set of stock headphones like they do now which is what most people use anyway.
    09-06-2016 12:18 PM
217 12345 ...