With The Note 7 Recall... Does Apple Automatically Claim The 2016 Victory?

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Not if they market themselves correctly. If this recall goes over and there's no real big problems with the replacement devices. All they really have to do is put out a few clever commercials and the mass public will eat it up.

lions_lair99

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Not if they market themselves correctly. If this recall goes over and there's no real big problems with the replacement devices. All they really have to do is put out a few clever commercials and the mass public will eat it up.
Right.. if iPhone has been selling without any of their own technological innovations, and only coming out with features of Android, literally years after other manufacturers. N7 is a shoe in.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, does it matter who wins or loses? As long as you have a phone you love then sales numbers don't mean a thing. Not like any of us will see profits from those numbers.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
So an iPhone 7 is the only other option?

Please

The biggest beneficiary in the Android world will be Google, LG and even Samsung's other 2016 flagship.

Sadly in Australia it is. It was only up until this year that people really started trying out Android through Samsung here. All other OEM's (Sony, LG, HTC) don't even see the light of day.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I feel the same way! Driving me crazy that people are slamming Samsung for doing the right thing..I have NOT lost faith or confidence in trusting Samsung. Diehard user. That's not changing

I'm not even a die hard user. the N7 is my first ever after a long line of Blackberrys. I'm still not worried. It's alright to give a phone a second chance before damning the company to hell and slating it as never 'winning' for the year again.

At the end of the day, they are still just phones. It's not that deep.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To tell the truth I am still on the fence somewhat. I am using an iPhone 6S Plus right now while I wait for the Note to go back on sale and am enjoying aspects of it. I will have to see what the new iPhone has going for it, but for now I am leaning toward getting the Note back. I loved the phone minus the battery life in comparison to an iPhone but it lasted all day so that isn't a huge issue. I don't think Apple wins by default, they will have to blow it out of the water tomorrow if they want some people to stick with iPhone but I think the majority have their minds made up. The leaks of the iPhone 7 or whatever it gets called are not making me want to buy it even a little bit. Don't care about an extra camera nor do I want the same design for a third straight year plus iOS 10, while better, is still very stale.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 6S Plus at least 5 times, including waist high on concrete. Nothing happened but a few scratches. Same thing with my iPhone 6 before.
Perhaps, but if you are implying that iPhones don't break on a drop, we all know that's not the case. There's a select few phones on the market that are truly rugged, and to be honest, few buy them because they are either exclusive to a carrier or they are crappy phones that happen to be tough.

I think that this might help Apple in the short term, but they aren't going to make big inroads on Android.... Android phones have a 82% world market share, and the Note accounts for a small piece of that pie.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not really.

I'm actually warming up to the iPhone 7 after knowing a little more about its hardware (but no headphone jack is going to be annoying to me, though), but I don't think people are automatically going to jump ship to Apple following the recall. For 3 reasons.

• The Galaxy Note has a loyal fanbase. While some people don't care about the S Pen and bought it just for the bigger size, there's quite a few in the Note userbase that have stuck with the Galaxy Note-line for a long time, and those people are not very likely to be going to an iPhone, or any other phone in that matter. Some Note7 users will switch to either an iPhone or another Android phone, but considering the way Samsung has handled this, I don't think there will be a mass Titanic-esque abandonment.

• This ties in to the first reason, but people who are heavily vested into one ecosystem isn't as likely to be going over to another platform. For instance, someone who's deep into the Apple ecosystem is less likely to move over to Android unless it's for curiosity's sake and the same applies for those who are deep in the Google ecosystem. Note that they are less likely to be moving platforms, but some still do.

• This isn't a straight victory for Apple. They still have their own hardware issue to deal with, and that is the Touch Disease thing with the iPhone 6, where the Touch IC chips are more prone to damage due to the flawed build of the iPhone 6 (especially the Plus), where it is susceptible to bending without too much force along with the use of a sticker-shield instead of a metal one. The newer iPhone 6s series is unaffected as the chips are in the display itself, along with the stronger build, though Apple's apparent silence on this is prompting a lawsuit. It's less serious than a recall due to exploding batteries, which can be dangerous and requires prompt action to avoid liabilities, but this is also an issue that needs some attention.
Of course, I'm just predicting what could happen, but this isn't an automatic win for Apple. They still have their own issues to sort out and we're not done with the year's releases yet.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Not really.

I'm actually warming up to the iPhone 7 after knowing a little more about its hardware (but no headphone jack is going to be annoying to me, though), but I don't think people are automatically going to jump ship to Apple following the recall. For 3 reasons.

• The Galaxy Note has a loyal fanbase. While some people don't care about the S Pen and bought it just for the bigger size, there's quite a few in the Note userbase that have stuck with the Galaxy Note-line for a long time, and those people are not very likely to be going to an iPhone, or any other phone in that matter. Some Note7 users will switch to either an iPhone or another Android phone, but considering the way Samsung has handled this, I don't think there will be a mass Titanic-esque abandonment.

• This ties in to the first reason, but people who are heavily vested into one ecosystem isn't as likely to be going over to another platform. For instance, someone who's deep into the Apple ecosystem is less likely to move over to Android unless it's for curiosity's sake and the same applies for those who are deep in the Google ecosystem. Note that they are less likely to be moving platforms, but some still do.

• This isn't a straight victory for Apple. They still have their own hardware issue to deal with, and that is the Touch Disease thing with the iPhone 6, where the Touch IC chips are more prone to damage due to the flawed build of the iPhone 6 (especially the Plus), where it is susceptible to bending without too much force along with the use of a sticker-shield instead of a metal one. The newer iPhone 6s series is unaffected as the chips are in the display itself, along with the stronger build, though Apple's apparent silence on this is prompting a lawsuit. It's less serious than a recall due to exploding batteries, which can be dangerous and requires prompt action to avoid liabilities, but this is also an issue that needs some attention.
Of course, I'm just predicting what could happen, but this isn't an automatic win for Apple. They still have their own issues to sort out and we're not done with the year's releases yet.

No!!!! Don't Go over to the Dark Side!!!! ;)

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Not really.

iPhone has a much bigger fanbase than any other single model out there. Since iPhone 6 where iPhone ditched the tiny screen, I have seen much much more people converting from Android to iPhone than the other way round.

With such a good phone in Note 7, I just felt it's a pity Samsung cannot capitalise more on it, and will lose many potential users with the recall.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
iPhone has a much bigger fanbase than any other single model out there. Since iPhone 6 where iPhone ditched the tiny screen, I have seen much much more people converting from Android to iPhone than the other way round.

With such a good phone in Note 7, I just felt it's a pity Samsung cannot capitalise more on it, and will lose many potential users with the recall.
Yeah, the iPhone does have a loyal fanbase as well, but the Note also has its own set of fans.

I don't think those who are accustomed to a Galaxy Note will want to jump ship to an iPhone out of the blue, unless they are bored and want to try something different. Same goes for those accustomed to an iPhone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they surprised us and said the pen used on the iPad pro works on the iPhone 7 Plus... or any of the iPhones and added note apps... that would be something. Make the pen the $100 option or whatever they want for it and let the customer decide. Sell iphone cases with pen cylos. With the Current iPad pro out... not too far fetched in near future.

Yeah, the iPhone does have a loyal fanbase as well, but the Note also has its own set of fans.

I don't think those who are accustomed to a Galaxy Note will want to jump ship to an iPhone out of the blue, unless they are bored and want to try something different. Same goes for those accustomed to an iPhone.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think that the OP is basing his opinion on something that is not entirely true. Galaxy Note line is not Samsung's bread and butter line, yes they sell very well, and the Note 7 may be the best Samsung phone yet, but for the regular customer, the ones that goes to the store and buy, the S line is Samsung's "latest phone" and go to phones,so no, because the Note 7 has been recalled it won't make too much of a difference in the whole scenario, because the S7 and S7 edge are really, the direct competitors of whatever Apple releases now. If the recall would have been for the S7/S7 edge then that would have been another story.