Beware of swappa sellers...

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Shouldn't matter, people swap and give away phones all the time. Not everyone has a receipt either, the phone has SAMSUNG in big letters on the front right? Samsung made it they have to swap it, when are people going to relise this.?

I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately that's it the reality right now.

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately that's it the reality right now.

The reality will kick in for Samsung when they see people out there with Note 7 and they cant swap them and they are catching fire, what are they going to do throw their $1350 phone away and buy another? no they will keep using it, let the law suits begin.
They will have to swap them all even if you find one on the side of the road.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
True for bad sellers, but if you're careful and do your research, then you should be fine.
I could see buying a older used device from places like swappa understanding no more factory warranty etc. but why would anyone buy a brand new device only out for 2 weeks from a place like that? I don't get it.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hate to see ANYONE have even one bad thing to say about SWAPPA, as it is thanks to them and their really great & very TRUSTWORTHY site that has allowed me to super indulge my phone addiction these past couple of years....

I have never used a site that is so "painless, easy to navigate, reassuring & helpful" as theirs... Have never trusted ebay, but i have sold on Amazon & have never been paid sooner than 3-5 days, sometimes even a week! With SWAPPA, its instant, and all the phones i have sold and all the ones i have purchased have NEVER resulted in "one hiccup"...

Love those guys! (and gals Kat A : )

BTC

And P.S. : ) When you have any questions or offers for the seller, 99% of the time you get a reply within minutes from them right there on the Listing's Comments Page. Ever tried asking a seller a question on Ebay? By the time you get a reply, you've moved on...lol

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hate to see ANYONE have even one bad thing to say about SWAPPA, as it is thanks to them and their really great & very TRUSTWORTHY site that has allowed me to super indulge my phone addiction these past couple of years....

I have never used a site that is so "painless, easy to navigate, reassuring & helpful" as theirs... Have never trusted ebay, but i have sold on Amazon & have never been paid sooner than 3-5 days, sometimes even a week! With SWAPPA, its instant, and all the phones i have sold and all the ones i have purchased have NEVER resulted in "one hiccup"...

Love those guys! (and gals Kat A : )

BTC

And P.S. : ) When you have any questions or offers for the seller, 99% of the time you get a reply within minutes from them right there on the Listing's Comments Page. Ever tried asking a seller a question on Ebay? By the time you get a reply, you've moved on...lol
It's unfortunate, but when you have sellers not taking the phone back due to recall in this situation, it's going to reflect on all swappa and eBay. Buyers abuse the system to lying about why they need return items. All it takes is a few bad apples to screw it up for everyone. Just hope this doesn't catch the media's attention. I hate the fact that now I have to be more cautious buying thru swappa, I stopped using eBay long time ago.

I have sold and bought on eBay and swappa, but now I am leaning away from it because it's been pointed out that buyer or seller could get screwed because of PayPal's buyer protection policies, and the seller has more of a chance to lose. PayPal leans to the buyers side usually.

And in this case Samsung is in the wrong. They should do exchanges directly to people that bought third party, problem solved.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has used Swappa on many occasions, I would question the wisdom of totally writing off ever using the site because of one bad user. That's kind of like refusing to use the internet because that one bully who made fun of your cat (ok maybe not quite the same). I think Swappa is set up very well, Paypal is required, and while PP has it's own set of issues, it at least allows for buyer protection. Seller ratings make it easy to see who is trustworthy. I just picked up a replacement ipod touch for my son...the seller has over 75 5-star ratings in two years and no negatives, so I feel confident in the product description and overall transaction.

I would also echo the few who have questioned the wisdom of purchasing recently released devices third party in order to save $50. Swappa is great for older devices that are out of or near out of warranty range. But something like a Note 7, especially at that price point, you're better off buying first party and getting the warranty that comes with it - which also gives you easier coverage in the event of a recall.

Bottom line - do your homework and research...don't rely on individuals on the interwebz to do it for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't matter, people swap and give away phones all the time. Not everyone has a receipt either, the phone has SAMSUNG in big letters on the front right? Samsung made it they have to swap it, when are people going to relise this.?

Sadly it doesn't work that way in the real world. It SHOULD but it doesn't. Trust me. My G4 I gave a buddy recently broke and LG won't repair the known defect with it unless we provide a receipt of when it was purchased from the store (even though the defect is known and affects many G4 devices like this Samsung one is affecting the Note 7).

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a few issues with Swappa to be honest.
1. Racist ***** gets away with racist slurs, and comments on my sale thread. All swappa does is delete the comments, and does nothing against seller.
2. Had a guy buy a phone from me, show very clear scamming motives (kept wanting a partial refund due to undisclosed damage. Turns out the guy had been banned from Swappa, but swappa are so slow to catch these users and have no protection. Thankfully I got enough evidence that if the guy opens a case I will win. But Swappa did not care to protect the seller, They deleted his account with no trace left, and straight up cared for naught that they let a banned user in again.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you will always have bad sellers and/bad buyers. But tell me where you can buy a new or a slightly used smartphone for sometimes 40% off?

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Australia are replacing phones bought from Gumtree, guess they are serious about getting them all, normally they won't even look at a phone for warranty with no receipt.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Bought my phone threw Gumtree was worried at first because i am not the original owner but lucky for me Samsung is replacing it.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
That seller is stupid. OP, didn't you pay less than the cost of the device. If I were the seller I'd be all over refunding you your money because I could walk my butt into TMobile and get the full price refunded. Seller must not have the amount you paid available anymore.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I bought an international N5 off eBay. After 5 days it stopped working. The seller lied and said i modified the software and the warranty is void. All I did was upgrade to Marshmallow. EBay sided with the seller and Samsung can't fix it here because it's international. I basically have a $750 paperweight. Will never trust eBay or PayPal again for any electronics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678