Beware of swappa sellers...

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Note 7s, one I purchased from T-Mobile directly, the other from a seller on Swappa. Of course, as it is with my luck, the seller on Swappa is giving me a hard time about returning the device. They even tried to tell me that they contacted Samsung and Samsung told them that the device was not part of the recall because it was a T-Mobile unit "made in China". I literally laughed at it before responding and asked the seller to produce documentation that states that. Of course, they could not. Then they said they were refusing to refund my money because I haven't stated the real reason for returning the device. Does the chance of the device exploding qualify as a valid reason? Or maybe the global recall? Unreal. I'll let PayPal decide it, and I am sure they will rule in my favor. I cannot return or exchange the device with T-Mobile because I was not the original purchaser, and I have verified that several times with T-Mobile. Anyone else who purchased off of Swappa, beware, especially from the seller ProTekT USA. I have sold over 25 listings on Swappa and if I were the seller in this case, I would certainly accept the return, and then I would either return or exchange with T-Mobile. They are only hurting themselves by delaying the refund process.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Word of advice: Don't purchase your phones on Swappa or eBay if you are worried about a warranty.

I've never had an issue before as most people are ethical. Obviously that is not the case with this particular situation. After this, I'll likely not purchase again through Swappa. I stopped using eBay a long time ago.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an issue before as most people are ethical. Obviously that is not the case with this particular situation. After this, I'll likely not purchase again through Swappa. I stopped using eBay a long time ago.

Everyone bats 1000 until they don't. I have never heard of swappa. Guess it's a good thing. Also a good thing you used PayPal. Good luck.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Just open a case and the seller will fold like a lawn chair. I know he wants to keep the money, but he cannot. You will win, he will learn that the real world is sometimes unfair.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just open a case and the seller will fold like a lawn chair. I know he wants to keep the money, but he cannot. You will win, he will learn that the real world is sometimes unfair.

This. Just open a PayPal case and done. It may take a little longer to get the money back but you'll get it. It's sad to hear the seller is treating you like this. I sold (and will sell in the future) several devices on swappa and would never do anything like this. I would consider that the manufacturer sold me a defective product and I sold it to you. I should refund you for a defective product. The seller can get a replacement and then sell that. Just make sure when you send it back you pay for insurance and definitely have signature confirmation. Just so they seller can't say "I never got it" or something to prolong this.

Last edited:

maui22

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Something like this happened to me on ebay and I opted to return it to him and he hasnt responded to the return request so I am just going to call paypal and open a dispute to get my money back...dont want a $800 paper weight with probability of spontaneous combustion. I need to get a good nights rest without having to worry if I will wake up burnt to a crisp.

master500

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
This was email support response from Samsung. Hope this is useful.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Samsung Technical Support. We always appreciate hearing from our customers.*

It must be troublesome as you are experiencing issues in returning your Note 7 phone under the Note 7 exchange programme. I will surely assist you to fix the issue.*

In this case, please contact the eBay support team to help you with the required information about the exchange. However, please go through the below information about the exchange.*

Under the Note 7 exchange programme, the phone must be returned to either the place of purchase or the carrier. If your place of purchase(eBay) is not taking back the phone, I request you to contact our voice or chat support team with the below details. They will file a service ticket and will assist you further in returning your Note 7 phone.*

1. Customer Name*
2. Telephone Number*
3. Carrier*
4. Retailer/Place of Purchase*
5. Retailer City/State*
6. Model*
7. IMEI*
8. Reason for Denial*

You can reach to our voice support team at*1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7:00 A.M. to 2:00 A.M. (CST), Sat: 9:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. (CST).*

You can reach to our chat support team by accessing the below link.*

Link:*https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om%2Fus%2Fsupport%2Fcontact%2A&token=UE1UjgMw

For additional support and updates regarding your product, please follow us at @SamsungSupport on Twitter or like our page athttps://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport.*

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.*

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

Why?

You have buyer protection through eBay and PayPal.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This. Just open a PayPal case and done. It may take a little longer to get the money back but you'll get it. It's sad to hear the seller is treating you like this. I sold (and will sell in the future) several devices on swappa and would never do anything like this. I would consider that the manufacturer sold me a defective product and I sold it to you. I should refund you for a defective product. The seller can get a replacement and then sell that. Just make sure when you send it back you pay for insurance and definitely have signature confirmation. Just so they seller can't say "I never got it" or something to prolong this.

I opened the case yesterday. The seller is being such an a**. They said they were going to refuse my refund because I didn't select the right option through PayPal. They can't refuse anything because PayPal has the ultimate decision. I hope it drags on beyond the exchange period. I don't need the money right away.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I opened the case yesterday. The seller is being such an a**. They said they were going to refuse my refund because I didn't select the right option through PayPal. They can't refuse anything because PayPal has the ultimate decision. I hope it drags on beyond the exchange period. I don't need the money right away.

Or just exchange it with Samsung.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Stop communicating with the seller. Just speak to, or email, PayPal.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, Samsung made the phone and they re called, they should swap/refund wherever it came from or they will have law suits hitting them left right and centre in the next year. End of story.

Yes, but unfortunately they require the phone to be exchanged by the original purchaser.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day Samsung is going to want to get as many of these phones off the street as possible as they are a lawsuit waiting to happen (especially in the U.S.). I would suspect that even those purchased on Swappa and Ebay will be handled trough Samsung direct without the advantage of a quick exchange via the carriers. The first person who's wicker nightstand goes up in flames and kills the family Hamster, causing irreversible mental and emotional anguish, is going to look to cash in and cash in big. "The phone blew in my pants and now my testicles are toast, I'll never have kids. How do you put a price tag on that?" The possibilities are endless especially in a sue happy country like this. Somehow Samsung is going to have to certify the revised phones to distinguish them from the initial batch. If the warranty on the phone is transferable, then it shouldn't matter if you're the original purchaser.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have bought and sold thru eBay and swappa, after seeing these issues with the note 7 with eBay and swappa buyers and sellers having issues with the return process having to file PayPal disputes, I am like you, I won't use those services anymore either.

Buyer and sellers can be dishonest. Buyers lie about reasons for return so PayPal will force the refund. As to what someone said why worry you have PayPal protection, it's still a process I as a note 7 owner purchased from my carrier I don't have to do.

Also, I am seeing people paying $800 for a $864 phone you can buy direct from the carrier. It's not worth the risk to save $65 to $100, even $200. This recall is pointing that out, and this is just one reason of several. Your trusting someone across the country you never met.

Personally Samsung should be ashamed of itself, they should do a swap directly with third party buyers. Just my opinion.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Yea PayPal will give you your money and debt the Sellers account until they pay it back to PayPal. Good luck to them trying to open a new PayPal account.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
At the end of the day, Samsung is going to have to pony up and take care of these. Think about all the others who were in similar situations and bought them used through something like craigslist. Bringing them back to the point of purchase simply isn't an option, and if the phones are a liability, they're going to pay even more so if they do blow up and hurt someone.

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but unfortunately they require the phone to be exchanged by the original purchaser.

Shouldn't matter, people swap and give away phones all the time. Not everyone has a receipt either, the phone has SAMSUNG in big letters on the front right? Samsung made it they have to swap it, when are people going to relise this.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463