09-18-2016 09:46 AM
203 12345 ...
tools
    As of now there is NOT an official recall by the US Gov

If the US gov makes it official and recalls the Note 7, then YES all of the defective Note 7 will be banned on all airplanes no matter what.

If I am Samsung I am working very hard with the US Gov to make sure this does not happen.
    09-08-2016 05:07 PM
    Even if the recall were mandatory, there'd still be thousands of users who keep their original phones.

A total and permanent Note 7 ban on planes would make the phone useless for most people. Which means it's not going to happen.
    Why not? What does the FAA care?
    09-08-2016 05:12 PM
    Why not? What does the FAA care?
    Correct. The FAA could give a crap.

They would rather deal with that scenario than a Note 7 taking a plan down from catching fire.
    recDNA likes this.
    09-08-2016 05:17 PM
    Not sure why they'd ban it because of exploding lithium batteries. I just checked my mom in for a flight and read the notice that you have to agree to, and it already states that transport of lithium batteries is prohibited. Technically, anyone who owns a modern phone that has a lithium battery and they get on a plane with it is already breaking the law, lol. Prohibited in both checked and carry-on luggage, according to the notice.
    I think Lithium batteries are banned from Check-in luggage. They are OK for carry-on. I recently vacationed in Florida for 2 weeks and had the extra batteries from my LG V10 in my wallet the whole time through the TSA check points. It was never a concern. So they basically don't want them unattended down in the belly of the aircraft with the luggage.
    monsieurms likes this.
    09-08-2016 05:49 PM
    I decided to no longer use it. I'm using my S7 and the Note is sitting in the box waiting for me to either return it or exchange it for Iphone or another Note. Another article I read said the iphone 7 might have some delays due to some components. Someone said the batteries in them made by Samsung. Makes you go hmmm.
    Uh what. Heresay

Apple picks new battery supplier, drops Samsung
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11...msung-battery/
    09-08-2016 06:00 PM
    Since I started this joyous thread I thought I would weigh in with an update. Got my Amazon return slip printed out for the Samsung wireless charging pad (had 3 days left in my return window). That gets dropped off at the UPS store this weekend. Note 7 was factory reset and is packed back in the box for return to the Tmo store at lunchtime tomorrow. Nexus 6p has the sim card back in and I enrolled in the beta program to download Android Nougat. The big N is installed and seems to be running well.

It's funny, I already was getting the Samsung home button and back button positions ingrained, so I now I will have to unlearn that! Couple of days and it will be back to normal. As I mentioned in another thread, this is a no-brainer decision from my standpoint. Since there is even a small chance at this time that the phone could be banned, and I have the rare opportunity of a do-over in returning it, I am taking my mulligan. No harm, I go back to my 6p and sit here for a couple of months to see what happens. Hell, Samsung may very well have some good holiday sales on the N7 because the sales will undoubtedly take a hit from this fiasco. I paid full price for my phone and wireless charging pad, so worst case is I'll just pay full price 2 months from now if this all gets cleared up. Or, it could turn out the upcoming pixel phone actually is awesome and I upgrade to that. There is no downside to me doing the return, and only the upside of avoiding unknown risk at this time.

Good luck to all the Note 7 faithful that are doing the exchange, I hope it works out for you. Un-following this thread, and off the Nexus 6p forum.

EDIT: New warning from the FAA today, and they aren't done yet: http://www.phonearena.com/news/FAA-o...lights_id85237
    BustA Groove likes this.
    09-08-2016 07:32 PM
    I think Lithium batteries are banned from Check-in luggage. They are OK for carry-on. I recently vacationed in Florida for 2 weeks and had the extra batteries from my LG V10 in my wallet the whole time through the TSA check points. It was never a concern. So they basically don't want them unattended down in the belly of the aircraft with the luggage.
    Yes banned on checked luggage. There was a plane crash not long ago that was due to lithium batteries in checked luggage.
    09-08-2016 07:38 PM
    As of now there is NOT an official recall by the US Gov

If the US gov makes it official and recalls the Note 7, then YES all of the defective Note 7 will be banned on all airplanes no matter what.

If I am Samsung I am working very hard with the US Gov to make sure this does not happen.
    I don't think the US government can just make it official. I believe Samsung has to initiate this to make the recall official. In addition to getting devices back out faster, I also believe this is why Samsung hasn't done so: so agencies like the FAA can't officially ban the devices. The process becomes so much more involved if there was an official recall.
    09-08-2016 07:46 PM
    I don't think the US government can just make it official. I believe Samsung has to initiate this to make the recall official. In addition to getting devices back out faster, I also believe this is why Samsung hasn't done so: so agencies like the FAA can't officially ban the devices. The process becomes so much more involved if there was an official recall.
    No the government can require a recall, they do it all the time.
    09-08-2016 07:55 PM
    This is the FAA we are talking about, who could give a flying crap about making some single-digit % of the US mad because they banned their phones.
    Pun intended?
    I don't fly very often but trying to upgrade from a LG G4 which has had its own set of problems makes me want to reconsider the Note 7.
    09-08-2016 09:27 PM
    Gizmoorono is who instigated this FAA churn in the first place.
    09-08-2016 10:51 PM
    They just ran a news story here in DFW on channel 5 saying they will not allow you to charge or turn the phone on during flight.
    09-08-2016 11:33 PM
    They just ran a news story here in DFW on channel 5 saying they will not allow you to charge or turn the phone on during flight.
    Welp, this sucks! *looks at my Iphone 6s Plus* ugh........I don't wanna stay with Apple!!
    Shawn0813 likes this.
    09-09-2016 12:04 AM
    Well, this may not be as far fetch as folks think.... This is from a article in USA Today on 9/08/16

"Also on Thursday, three Australian airlines went ahead and banned the operation and charging of Samsung’s $800 waterproof phone-tablet on all Quantas, Jetstar and Virgin Australia flights.

The airlines were not directed to do so by government officials, but rather took the decision on their own after Samsung Australia – one of 10 recall markets – halted sales and began exchanging existing models."
    09-09-2016 01:08 AM
    Welp, this sucks! *looks at my Iphone 6s Plus* ugh........I don't wanna stay with Apple!!
    Me neither
    09-09-2016 03:19 AM
    Pun intended?
    I don't fly very often but trying to upgrade from a LG G4 which has had its own set of problems makes me want to reconsider the Note 7.
    Yeesh, never realized my pun! Oh well, once in a while they slip out. And yes, all you need to do is plan on flying once while you own this phone, ever, and you are taking a risk with buying it. Seeing as the FAA issued their "strong advice" yesterday not use or charge a Note 7 while flying, you would be crazy to buy one now. Especially since the FAA is still evaluating the issue.
    09-09-2016 05:25 AM
    FAA on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7: Don't turn it on, don't charge it, don't pack it in your luggage — Quartz

Won't be long as this phone will be banned from flights. Think about it if you fly
    09-09-2016 05:45 AM
    FAA on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7: Don't turn it on, don't charge it, don't pack it in your luggage — Quartz

Won't be long as this phone will be banned from flights. Think about it if you fly
    It's very unlikely it would go any further. It'll probably be retracted after a few months IMO.
    09-09-2016 06:09 AM
    Wow. I think I am now out. Had one, loved it, returned it due to the recall, especially as I travel a lot for work and use my phone a lot on a plane. Got this to help me reduce the gear I bring, like a tablet. I can't risk not being able to use or possibly bring my phone on a flight. Sigh, very disappointing.
    09-09-2016 06:45 AM
    You have to believe Samsung is working hand in hand with the FAA to make sure this wont be a full out ban by the FAA.

I think the FAA threw them a bone now saying "dont turn on dont charge"

If there are more and more cases that keep coming out I can see the FAA doing a FULL ban.
    09-09-2016 06:49 AM
    It seems from some info posted by Samsung, boxes with identify the replaced phones and the replaced phones will be able to be verified by IMEI number.

You can see this posted on another thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=5405552
    09-09-2016 06:53 AM
    It seems from some info posted by Samsung, boxes with identify the replaced phones and the replaced phones will be able to be verified by IMEI number.

You can see this posted on another thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=5405552
    But that isn't something the tsa is going to check at security. And with all the people on these forums saying they won't swap, plus probably other people who have the phone and don't know about the recall, I wonder how TSA and FAA will handle.
    09-09-2016 06:56 AM
    But that isn't something the tsa is going to check at security. And with all the people on these forums saying they won't swap, plus probably other people who have the phone and don't know about the recall, I wonder how TSA and FAA will handle.
    I don't know, they already have to check phones and make sure they power up.
    09-09-2016 06:58 AM
    I don't know, they already have to check phones and make sure they power up.
    But they aren't going to check iemi's to see if they are pre or post recall phones. They don't have time. I'm sure TSA will vary from saying, do not use on a plane, to just turning you away.
    09-09-2016 07:03 AM
    I think Samsung should put a marking somewhere on the phone even if its something very small to distinguish the new models.

Or something baked into the firmware to show the TSA its a new version.

Remember we are dealing with the TSA here not the sharpest tools in the shed.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    09-09-2016 07:05 AM
203 12345 ...