Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

kssooner

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not going to happen. The chances of a Note 7 spontaneously blowing up/catching fire on a plane is probably less than you dying in a plane crash. If they ban the Note 7, they'll have to ban all phones and devices with a lithium battery and that isn't going to happen.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
They certainly could do it as a CYA move, although it'll obviously be near impossible to enforce.

I'd be more concerned about one burning up in the cockpit, not a lot of room up there, the smoke would be a PITA to deal with and apparently they get hot enough to burn with just a quick touch, so its not as if you could pick it up and dunk it in your coffee or something. Although I never charged my phone in the cockpit (we didn't have outlets in our jets) you could have one sitting next to you plugged into a battery pack pretty easily.

Wouldn't cause a crash, but it would be annoying and would cause a diversion.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I find it quite unlikely that the common staff would be able to distinguish a very specific phone. It's so implausible that I don't think they'd seriously think it would work. Especially when almost all of the phones would be the new ones which are perfectly fine, and even the extremely small minority that do catch fire only do so when charging or just after charging, and that these phones are still a minority within those that came before the fix.

The probability stuff can be countered by saying they don't take chances, but coupled with the fact they won't be able to enforce it says to me that nothing will happen.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
As someone who travels frequently...I don't believe the TSA has the brain power to understand the difference between a Galaxy Note 7 and an iPhone, much less a Galaxy Note 5 or Galaxy S6. They're morons...they're barely people.

And also, I don't want any of those "people" touching anything that goes that close to my face or mouth... I already feel like I need to wash after one of them pats me down...

avivzan

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So this story from Gizmodo covers the topic and they claim to have received an actual response from the FAA stating it is being considered:
The FAA Is Considering a Ban on Samsung's Exploding Smartphones

Apparently a ban would have been a much more likely outcome if Samsung had done an official recall through the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, but because Samsung didn't do that it is a murkier issue.

I already submitted my response to Tmo via the email I received that I want to exchange my Note 7, but I gotta say I am now strongly considering going to the Tmo store and just getting a refund. I also have a Samsung wireless charging pad that I got for my b-day in August that I hope I can return to Tmo (even though I didn't buy it from them?) for a refund.

This sucks the big one and is an absolute deal killer. I've got to be able to fly...do it several times a year for work and family stuff. I'll give it until early next week and if there is no clarity by then on the FAA issue then I'm going to return my Note 7 and use my 6p and wait to see what the next Nexus phone bring. :'(

It sound to me unlikely that the FAA would actually will ban a phone for those reasons, you know it's not really exploding like a boom right it's catching fire and that's it you can easily distinguished this fire if it's happened on the airplane.
needless to say that the plane will not fall down because of it... so i think it's safe enough and you can be relaxed if you stay with your note 7

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
How the hell is Gizmodo still in business...didn't they get flushed with the rest of the crap by Hulk Hogan and his legal team?

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
realistically, isn't there technically a catastrophic risk everytime one brings anything with a lithium battery on an airplane? Or bus..or car..etc.

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
anyone who has not turned in their phone already should know some lady said her house in NC burned down because of the phone being charged in the garage, no actual proof yet but it will be investigated - why take a chance, mine didn't get hot, it didn't lag and it had no issues but I turned it in Friday because Samsung was good enough to say EVERY phone sold will be replaced no questions asked - why take chances with your property or family

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
anyone who has not turned in their phone already should know some lady said her house in NC burned down because of the phone being charged in the garage, no actual proof yet but it will be investigated - why take a chance, mine didn't get hot, it didn't lag and it had no issues but I turned it in Friday because Samsung was good enough to say EVERY phone sold will be replaced no questions asked - why take chances with your property or family

I decided to no longer use it. I'm using my S7 and the Note is sitting in the box waiting for me to either return it or exchange it for Iphone or another Note. Another article I read said the iphone 7 might have some delays due to some components. Someone said the batteries in them made by Samsung. Makes you go hmmm.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it'll be permanent. That would be a major inconvenience for people who own one.

If they choose to go through with this, I suspect that the ban will be in place for maybe a few months, or a period long enough for most of the problematic Note7s to be exchanged.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Geez. First why did gizmodo have to stir the pot? If we just give Samsung 2 weeks we will see if this will all blow over.

Second. Qantas actually is a reasonable solution. Given there is risk without knowing anytime a new phone comes out maybe the ban should be on charging any phone while in flight.

This respects what the actual problem is without singling out any manufacturer.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Samsung better get busy shipping some "Authenticity Replacement Certificates" with their Note 7's... Kinda like a Passport for ur phone...lol.. sounds crazy, but have you ever tried arguing with a TSA Agent? Good luck getting passed the, "But Sir/Madam...." lol

BTC

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
This is silly. I fly weekly for work and have a Note 7. In no way are they going to turn me away lol. I also fly with an ecig. Never been an issue. Any battery is dangerous. The question is how dangerous? Impossible to answer. Only solution is to ban all battery operated devices. Computers, phones, all if them. Oh, good luck with that.

And good luck to UPS/FedEx who will be carting 2.5 million recalled Note 7s back to Samsung. Imagine that truck/airplane packed with them. Yikes. Now that's a concern.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This is silly. I fly weekly for work and have a Note 7. In no way are they going to turn me away lol. I also fly with an ecig. Never been an issue. Any battery is dangerous. The question is how dangerous? Impossible to answer. Only solution is to ban all battery operated devices. Computers, phones, all if them. Oh, good luck with that.

And good luck to UPS/FedEx who will be carting 2.5 million recalled Note 7s back to Samsung. Imagine that truck/airplane packed with them. Yikes. Now that's a concern.

Yup I suspect they try to do some quick training on what the device looks like. But I also suspect even people without a note being told to power off their device in some instances.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Geez. First why did gizmodo have to stir the pot? If we just give Samsung 2 weeks we will see if this will all blow over.

Second. Qantas actually is a reasonable solution. Given there is risk without knowing anytime a new phone comes out maybe the ban should be on charging any phone while in flight.

This respects what the actual problem is without singling out any manufacturer.

I don't think they're stirring the pot in this instance. I think they're merely pointing out what could happen and what actually seems it could now become reality. I do agree with you the they may have to tell everyone to turn off and not single out one manufacturer. But it's all because of Samsung so I would understand if they do single them out. Good thing my device says S7 Edge on the back lol.