Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Could be a tricky situation because how will it be determined which are replacement phones or phones never turned in. Are airlines going to inspect every Note 7. It could be a logistical mess.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
How the hell is Gizmodo still in business..

Wasn't Gizmodo banned by Apple from all iPhone launch events because he didn't return that prototype iPhone that was found before it was launched and and he put it online? Maybe this is his way of getting back into Apple's good graces

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This is main stream media news now and Gizmodo appears to be the ones instigating with the media and the FAA. Why do I think if an Appple device they would be less propagating in their efforts?

This will further hurt Samsung Note 7 sales. Shame.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Wasn't Gizmodo banned by Apple from all iPhone launch events because he didn't return that prototype iPhone that was found before it was launched and and he put it online? Maybe this is his way of getting back into Apple's good graces
LOL. I totally thought you were joking there before looking it up. Can't believe such a dodgy group even has any readers.

Pluka471

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
realistically, isn't there technically a catastrophic risk everytime one brings anything with a lithium battery on an airplane? Or bus..or car..etc.

Yes, every Lithium Ion batter is a very small risk which is why airlines ban them from checked luggage. The risk with a Note 7 is much higher since it has a manufacturing defect that, as far as we know, could be in every battery made by SDI Samsung (which provided 60% of the batteries for the Note 7).

AquaRaven

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why they'd ban it because of exploding lithium batteries. I just checked my mom in for a flight and read the notice that you have to agree to, and it already states that transport of lithium batteries is prohibited. Technically, anyone who owns a modern phone that has a lithium battery and they get on a plane with it is already breaking the law, lol. Prohibited in both checked and carry-on luggage, according to the notice.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why they'd ban it because of exploding lithium batteries. I just checked my mom in for a flight and read the notice that you have to agree to, and it already states that transport of lithium batteries is prohibited. Technically, anyone who owns a modern phone that has a lithium battery and they get on a plane with it is already breaking the law, lol. Prohibited in both checked and carry-on luggage, according to the notice.

No, transport of them in checked luggage is a no go. You must have all LiIon batteries on your carry-on. This includes ecigs. Source: I fly Delta every week.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If the issue is occurs while charging phones this would be a good time to think about banning CHARGING any phone on airplanes. This would cover off the Note 7 risk and any other risk.

Well, that should bring removable batteries back. :)

When I first saw those notices that appeared of late, I was rocked--I'm thinking, that can't be true. Not to mention no security person has ever said anything of the sort. That would ban every shaver, phone, laptop, tablet. YET, if you are seated and flying, who ISN'T using their laptops, phones and tablets? Do the flight attendants freak out? Nope. They would be if banned. Instead, they use the routine announcements of "make sure phones are in airplane mode" and so on. It is clearly ok to carry on.

I asked an American Airlines rep and as another poster said (re: Delta) it only means NOT IN CHECKED LUGGAGE; carry on is ok. Since that conversation with a AA rep, I've traveled many times, been through many checkpoints, had my phone out of my pocket and in the x-ray bins--no TSA agent has ever said a word even when staring at my phone in the bin.

It has to be "checked baggage" only.

However, I agree that some of the notices I've been seeing are completely unqualified and highly misleading. They need to address that. I said the same to the AA rep, too. She agreed.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
As of now there is NOT an official recall by the US Gov

If the US gov makes it official and recalls the Note 7, then YES all of the defective Note 7 will be banned on all airplanes no matter what.

If I am Samsung I am working very hard with the US Gov to make sure this does not happen.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Even if the recall were mandatory, there'd still be thousands of users who keep their original phones.

A total and permanent Note 7 ban on planes would make the phone useless for most people. Which means it's not going to happen.
Why not? What does the FAA care?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I think Lithium batteries are banned from Check-in luggage. They are OK for carry-on. I recently vacationed in Florida for 2 weeks and had the extra batteries from my LG V10 in my wallet the whole time through the TSA check points. It was never a concern. So they basically don't want them unattended down in the belly of the aircraft with the luggage.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Since I started this joyous thread I thought I would weigh in with an update. Got my Amazon return slip printed out for the Samsung wireless charging pad (had 3 days left in my return window). That gets dropped off at the UPS store this weekend. Note 7 was factory reset and is packed back in the box for return to the Tmo store at lunchtime tomorrow. Nexus 6p has the sim card back in and I enrolled in the beta program to download Android Nougat. The big N is installed and seems to be running well.

It's funny, I already was getting the Samsung home button and back button positions ingrained, so I now I will have to unlearn that! Couple of days and it will be back to normal. As I mentioned in another thread, this is a no-brainer decision from my standpoint. Since there is even a small chance at this time that the phone could be banned, and I have the rare opportunity of a do-over in returning it, I am taking my mulligan. No harm, I go back to my 6p and sit here for a couple of months to see what happens. Hell, Samsung may very well have some good holiday sales on the N7 because the sales will undoubtedly take a hit from this fiasco. I paid full price for my phone and wireless charging pad, so worst case is I'll just pay full price 2 months from now if this all gets cleared up. Or, it could turn out the upcoming pixel phone actually is awesome and I upgrade to that. There is no downside to me doing the return, and only the upside of avoiding unknown risk at this time.

Good luck to all the Note 7 faithful that are doing the exchange, I hope it works out for you. Un-following this thread, and off the Nexus 6p forum.

EDIT: New warning from the FAA today, and they aren't done yet: http://www.phonearena.com/news/FAA-...g-Galaxy-Note-7-phones-during-flights_id85237

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think Lithium batteries are banned from Check-in luggage. They are OK for carry-on. I recently vacationed in Florida for 2 weeks and had the extra batteries from my LG V10 in my wallet the whole time through the TSA check points. It was never a concern. So they basically don't want them unattended down in the belly of the aircraft with the luggage.
Yes banned on checked luggage. There was a plane crash not long ago that was due to lithium batteries in checked luggage.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As of now there is NOT an official recall by the US Gov

If the US gov makes it official and recalls the Note 7, then YES all of the defective Note 7 will be banned on all airplanes no matter what.

If I am Samsung I am working very hard with the US Gov to make sure this does not happen.

I don't think the US government can just make it official. I believe Samsung has to initiate this to make the recall official. In addition to getting devices back out faster, I also believe this is why Samsung hasn't done so: so agencies like the FAA can't officially ban the devices. The process becomes so much more involved if there was an official recall.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the US government can just make it official. I believe Samsung has to initiate this to make the recall official. In addition to getting devices back out faster, I also believe this is why Samsung hasn't done so: so agencies like the FAA can't officially ban the devices. The process becomes so much more involved if there was an official recall.
No the government can require a recall, they do it all the time.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
This is the FAA we are talking about, who could give a flying crap about making some single-digit % of the US mad because they banned their phones.

Pun intended?:p
I don't fly very often but trying to upgrade from a LG G4 which has had its own set of problems makes me want to reconsider the Note 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781