Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
They just ran a news story here in DFW on channel 5 saying they will not allow you to charge or turn the phone on during flight.

Monte J

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, this may not be as far fetch as folks think.... This is from a article in USA Today on 9/08/16

"Also on Thursday, three Australian airlines went ahead and banned the operation and charging of Samsung’s $800 waterproof phone-tablet on all Quantas, Jetstar and Virgin Australia flights.

The airlines were not directed to do so by government officials, but rather took the decision on their own after Samsung Australia – one of 10 recall markets – halted sales and began exchanging existing models."

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Pun intended?:p
I don't fly very often but trying to upgrade from a LG G4 which has had its own set of problems makes me want to reconsider the Note 7.

Yeesh, never realized my pun! Oh well, once in a while they slip out.:) And yes, all you need to do is plan on flying once while you own this phone, ever, and you are taking a risk with buying it. Seeing as the FAA issued their "strong advice" yesterday not use or charge a Note 7 while flying, you would be crazy to buy one now. Especially since the FAA is still evaluating the issue.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I think I am now out. Had one, loved it, returned it due to the recall, especially as I travel a lot for work and use my phone a lot on a plane. Got this to help me reduce the gear I bring, like a tablet. I can't risk not being able to use or possibly bring my phone on a flight. Sigh, very disappointing.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You have to believe Samsung is working hand in hand with the FAA to make sure this wont be a full out ban by the FAA.

I think the FAA threw them a bone now saying "dont turn on dont charge"

If there are more and more cases that keep coming out I can see the FAA doing a FULL ban.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It seems from some info posted by Samsung, boxes with identify the replaced phones and the replaced phones will be able to be verified by IMEI number.

You can see this posted on another thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5405552

But that isn't something the tsa is going to check at security. And with all the people on these forums saying they won't swap, plus probably other people who have the phone and don't know about the recall, I wonder how TSA and FAA will handle.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But that isn't something the tsa is going to check at security. And with all the people on these forums saying they won't swap, plus probably other people who have the phone and don't know about the recall, I wonder how TSA and FAA will handle.
I don't know, they already have to check phones and make sure they power up.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, they already have to check phones and make sure they power up.

But they aren't going to check iemi's to see if they are pre or post recall phones. They don't have time. I'm sure TSA will vary from saying, do not use on a plane, to just turning you away.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I think Samsung should put a marking somewhere on the phone even if its something very small to distinguish the new models.

Or something baked into the firmware to show the TSA its a new version.

Remember we are dealing with the TSA here not the sharpest tools in the shed.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung should put a marking somewhere on the phone even if its something very small to distinguish the new models.

Or something baked into the firmware to show the TSA its a new version.

Remember we are dealing with the TSA here not the sharpest tools in the shed.
Until there is an actual ban, why does it even matter?

I don't fly a ton, maybe 15 or 20 flights over the last few years, but not a single time thru security has TSA checked my phone.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I don't fly a ton, maybe 15 or 20 flights over the last few years, but not a single time thru security has TSA checked my phone.

But have they ever had a phone recalled for battery issues, and FAA made a ruling that those phones may not be used or charged while on a plane?? No! This is different. And since general public probably has no idea aside from Galaxy / Samsung and Apple / iPhone, it'll cause questions outside of note line.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
But have they ever had a phone recalled for battery issues, and FAA made a ruling that those phones may not be used or charged while on a plane?? No! This is different. And since general public probably has no idea aside from Galaxy / Samsung and Apple / iPhone, it'll cause questions outside of note line.
So what if they have never had this. It's not a TSA issue. There is no ban so they still have to let you thru security. They may reiterate the advisement but that's it.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Because IF there is a ban by the FAA now the TSA will specifically be looking for the Note 7.

Samsung should be proactive and do it anyway just in case an FAA future ban happens.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Jus to be clear...this is a voluntary recall by Samsung, not an official recall where the CPSC gets involved. If that were the case, there would be a ban by the FAA. Also, the FAA is "recommending" that the phones not be used or powered on during flights. They are not mandating it.