Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Jus to be clear...this is a voluntary recall by Samsung, not an official recall where the CPSC gets involved. If that were the case, there would be a ban by the FAA. Also, the FAA is "recommending" that the phones not be used or powered on during flights. They are not mandating it.

Correct.

I am sure Samsung is pressuring the CPSC not to get involved.

However, if more and more cases come out, and big problems like houses burning down are from the Note 7 I think the CPSC will have no choice
but to get involved. So they will do a mandatory recall of all the OLD defective Note 7's. The question is how will we be able to tell the difference.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Lots of IFs in life. Can't do anything about most of them.

Very true. Not to mention that some dishonest people will be blaming all kinds of stuff on the Note 7 exploding. That was the first thing I thought when I saw the story about the Jeep in Florida.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Correct.

I am sure Samsung is pressuring the CPSC not to get involved.

However, if more and more cases come out, and big problems like houses burning down are from the Note 7 I think the CPSC will have no choice
but to get involved. So they will do a mandatory recall of all the OLD defective Note 7's. The question is how will we be able to tell the difference.

Consumer Reports faults Samsung for not involving the Consumer Product Safety Commision. They say they should have been involved, from the start of the recall, considering the threat to personal or public safety.

Fortunately, according to the news on the radio and TV today, the airlines are warning people not to store their device in luggage going into cargo and are asking they not charge their N7 on the plane. There are people who will disregard these recommendations as being too cautious, which is hard to understand, given their decision, if wrong, will cost the lives of many others and not just their own.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You can rest assure that if a Note 7 causes a mass casualty event that will be the end of the Note 7. (of course it would have to be proven with evidence etc... which will take lots of time) There is no questions about that at all.

Maybe Samsung should of done a mandatory recall

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Jus to be clear...this is a voluntary recall by Samsung, not an official recall where the CPSC gets involved. If that were the case, there would be a ban by the FAA. Also, the FAA is "recommending" that the phones not be used or powered on during flights. They are not mandating it.

This is actually the WORST of all situations, as the FAA has basically punted to the airlines as to how they will enforce this "Strong recommendation." Suppose you are in the board meeting at Southwest Airlines this week, advised by legal counsel of the FAA "suggestion" and have to answer the question of who will get left holding the bag if your plane is damaged, or heaven forbid crashed, by one of those idiots who insist their GN7 is fine and refuse to exchange for new model, and refuse to turn it off in flight?

To tell you the truth, I'd tell my client to starrt a Samsung phone line at check-in and have the customers choose to turn off and surrender their phones before boarding or go home. And folks, I LOVE my GN7 - this hurts.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can rest assure that if a Note 7 causes a mass casualty event that will be the end of the Note 7. (of course it would have to be proven with evidence etc... which will take lots of time) There is no questions about that at all.

At this point I agree and there needs to be something on the outside of the phone that shows the phone is one of the replacements.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
This is actually the WORST of all situations, as the FAA has basically punted to the airlines as to how they will enforce this "Strong recommendation." Suppose you are in the board meeting at Southwest Airlines this week, advised by legal counsel of the FAA "suggestion" and have to answer the question of who will get left holding the bag if your plane is damaged, or heaven forbid crashed, by one of those idiots who insist their GN7 is fine and refuse to exchange for new model, and refuse to turn it off in flight?

To tell you the truth, I'd tell my client to starrt a Samsung phone line at check-in and have the customers choose to turn off and surrender their phones before boarding or go home. And folks, I LOVE my GN7 - this hurts.

Thats a good point with the airlines. FAA leaving it up to them to make their own rules. Delta might ban it, while Jetblue allows it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You can always use that app that shows when the phone was built too for TSA.

They used to allow smoking on planes though.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Thats a good point with the airlines. FAA leaving it up to them to make their own rules. Delta might ban it, while Jetblue allows it.

Since that wouldn't be TSA enforcing it then, you can just put it in your pocket when bording. If you're not using it how will Delta know? Will Delta screen all passengers too?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Consumer Reports faults Samsung for not involving the Consumer Product Safety Commision. They say they should have been involved, from the start of the recall, considering the threat to personal or public safety.

Fortunately, according to the news on the radio and TV today, the airlines are warning people not to store their device in luggage going into cargo and are asking they not charge their N7 on the plane. There are people who will disregard these recommendations as being too cautious, which is hard to understand, given their decision, if wrong, will cost the lives of many others and not just their own.
Of course they fault Samsung. Without an official recall involving them, they don't get to impose fines and collect money from Samsung.

IMO, the government doesn't need to be involved in a recall unless the company isn't doing the recall quickly and as they should. The government wants their hands in everything. Not involving CPSC is not a bad thing, the government slows things down. The government needs to be involved on stuff like the airbags and Toyota brakes and Volkswagen, when the manufacturer is not taking care of things.

Having CPSC involved isn't necessary for a recall to be handled the right way. Samsung did what most companies don't and did a voluntary recall and didn't wait for the government to force it. Of a company is doing the right thing, there is nothing sinister or evil about not involving CPSC. That should be saved for companies that don't do a voluntary recall and ignore a problem.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Well I don't necessarily agree with that. Airbags have caused many deaths for years, the Toyota brakes caused injury and I believe death. Samsung did the recall quickly and at this point, people still using the phone have responsibility in still using it. No one can make anyone stop using it or participate in the recall, even if it was a mandatory recall imposed by the government.

The only thing Samsung could do right now is to brick the phones with a software update and that would have its own problems. If they did that and someone was at home and had a medical or criminal emergency and couldn't call out because they had no landline nor a backup phone, people would likely sue Samsung and win.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Since that wouldn't be TSA enforcing it then, you can just put it in your pocket when bording. If you're not using it how will Delta know? Will Delta screen all passengers too?
Every flight I have been on since 9/11, a phone sets off the security alarm, which is why they don't have you hold them when walking through. Also in the last few years they always make people show their phones power up.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't necessarily agree with that. Airbags have caused many deaths for years, the Toyota brakes caused injury and I believe death. Samsung did the recall quickly and at this point, people still using the phone have responsibility in still using it. No one can make anyone stop using it or participate in the recall, even if it was a mandatory recall imposed by the government.

The only thing Samsung could do right now is to brick the phones with a software update and that would have its own problems. If they did that and someone was at home and had a medical or criminal emergency and couldn't call out because they had no landline nor a backup phone, people would likely sue Samsung and win.

There is a report from another forum in France that says Samsung will block all IMEI of phones that are faulty once this all gets settled.

I dont know how reliable the source as it is from France.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Every flight I have been on since 9/11, a phone sets off the security alarm, which is why they don't have you hold them when walking through. Also in the last few years they always make people show their phones power up.

I flew last in 2013 before that rule you must have them on started I think. They never told me to power it up.

TSA is a lot worse than wal-mart workers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781