Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is a report from another forum in France that says Samsung will block all IMEI of phones that are faulty once this all gets settled.

I dont know how reliable the source as it is from France.

I think they should do that, BUT.. Samsung will need to go ahead and exchange all phones that were bought by third party, individuals, traded with someone, people that bought the phone outside of the USA when traveling, had someone buy it in another country and ship it to them, etc. They might be planning on handling those phones after the initial recall is done with people that bought the phones.

Right now, Samsung USA is only handling phones bought directly from them and carriers won't touch any of the above type phones.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The hell with it! Throw all the Note 7's into the grinder and come out with a Note 8 with ir blaster and removable battery!

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Can carriers mandate the devices be returned? Pull that list of IMEI numbers that are coming from the Note 7s and block mobile data. Send a message to the subscriber: Please visit your nearest AT&T retail location to exchange the device.

This would probably work much better if the Note 7s were in stock and available. (Maybe at the end of the month?)

I could see carriers keeping a tab on who has which device. It would be a shame for someone to hold on to a device past the warranty exchange program, bring it into a retail store and have the battery meltdown in the store.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The hell with it! Throw all the Note 7's into the grinder and come out with a Note 8 with ir blaster and removable battery!
They aren't going back to a removable battery and there is no Reagan to scrap the Note 7. This hasn't even been two weeks, they just need to finish the recall.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
There is no need to scrap the Note 7, But...

They could take this as an opportunity by just saying the Note 7 is a wash this year and produce until February... and then when the S8 comes out, bring out the S8 Note and have all three phones come out the same time each year going forward with all basically having the base specs of processor and memory and then each having it's unique selling points for the S8, S8 Plus and S8 Note.

Right now I think it kinda stinks the Note 7 didn't show with next gen specs like processor and basically the S7/Edge will be the model that gets the latest power specs. The Note use to showcase the cutting edge specs and then trickled to the other models. And look... Apple has the A10 this week that will be class leading leaving the Note always trailing if they continue this trend.

They aren't going back to a removable battery and there is no Reagan to scrap the Note 7. This hasn't even been two weeks, they just need to finish the recall.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This snafu underlines a great advantage of the removable battery. Got a bad one? Recycle and pop in a new one. Before this incident I favored the sealed battery because it allows a larger capacity battery to be installed in the same space and makes waterproofing easier. Now? Just seems like this entire fiasco could have been cured so easily by distributing new batteries rather than taking away phones. With threats of bans I wouldn't even consider buying another Note 7 now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This snafu underlines a great advantage of the removable battery. Got a bad one? Recycle and pop in a new one. Before this incident I favored the sealed battery because it allows a larger capacity battery to be installed in the same space and makes waterproofing easier. Now? Just seems like this entire fiasco could have been cured so easily by distributing new batteries rather than taking away phones. With threats of bans I wouldn't even consider buying another Note 7 now.
There would still be a battery recall. There are too many advantages to a sealed battery to bring back removable batteries because on very, very rare thing happened once.

Threats of bans on recalled items mean nothing. Also the FAA did not ban it, they looked at it and didn't.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sine the recall is "voluntary" and 3rd party buyers have nobody to take their phones back why should FAA trust that Note 7 are safe on airplanes? Anybody who takes a new one risks the phone may continue to have restrictions on its use in many venues. I loved mine but why would anybody take that chance?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There would still be a battery recall. There are too many advantages to a sealed battery to bring back removable batteries because on very, very rare thing happened once.

Threats of bans on recalled items mean nothing. Also the FAA did not ban it, they looked at it and didn't.
Some airlines won't allow charging it already.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sine the recall is "voluntary" and 3rd party buyers have nobody to take their phones back why should FAA trust that Note 7 are safe on airplanes? Anybody who takes a new one risks the phone may continue to have restrictions on its use in many venues. I loved mine but why would anybody take that chance?
Because Samsung will have proof. This is a different issue than 3rd party buys.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So the question is when, if ever, will N7 be fully allowed again? My concern is since recall is voluntary, some venues will never lift ban.
I'm sure Samsung has been through this. The recall being voluntary or not has zero to do with people returning phones.

If it is mandatory, how do you know all Note 7's have been returned?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance