Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And latest breaking news: Samsung will issue a software update that makes it impossible to charge the battery past 60%. Why? Because, said a BNP Paribas analyst, "people are not returning the phones." Does 60% make anyone (a) happy to keep this; or (b) comfortable in terms of safety? How about news that the recall isn't actually working? That doesn't make me so happy. Safety issues aside, I wonder how many people will be staring at me on a plane when I pull out a Note 4 and I wonder how long it will take for someone to tell me to put it away anyway because they have no idea what they are saying or what the issue really is. In other words--the slide into Samsung becoming a pariah.

The analyst quoted by Associated Press called this software update "a desperate measure." Indeed. It would infuriate me as a user and it still doesn't really reassure me as someone who might be affected by fires. I suspect the only measure that will work is canceling the Note 7 series and making it history as soon as possible, whether due to actual concern or just marketing savvy, or some combo of both.

The 60% is a bad idea, since the main threat is during charging. If the anode / cathode layers short, the 60% setting is irrelevant, since the battery will continue charging until it ruptures or the cable burns/shorts out. If anything this would give users a false sense of security during charging. This seems a ploy to get people off the device IMO, but could have unintended consequences due to false sense of security during charging.

The after market for these devices might be rampant.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
If I just read what my carrier and Samsung have provided me directly the whole situation is calm and under control.

My understanding is that the 60℅ update was targeted to the recalled phones only. I actually wouldn't mind if they had an ability to just kill those devices somehow. Then everyone who sees a note 7 after Sept 30 knows it is a 7.1.

I think people on this forum are doing a pretty good job at stirring things up. Eg. The kid with the burning phone. Turns out it wasn't even a note 7.

The Jeep? Sorry I'm calling it now... that was awesome video. Seems to have been captured at just the right time. Not denying it could have happened but we sure fanned the flames here without even knowing more about the story. I think there is more to that one and I will wait to see SS's analysis.

I was just at the airport. No big deal guys. As a responsible person I chose on my own to keep it powered off. Just got on the plane and came home. I prefer to watch my media on my flipbook anyways.

I will just wait for my swap and go along like nothing happened. It was my intention to keep this amazing device for 2 years.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
If I just read what my carrier and Samsung have provided me directly the whole situation is calm and under control.

My understanding is that the 60℅ update was targeted to the recalled phones only. I actually wouldn't mind if they had an ability to just kill those devices somehow. Then everyone who sees a note 7 after Sept 30 knows it is a 7.1.

I think people on this forum are doing a pretty good job at stirring things up. Eg. The kid with the burning phone. Turns out it wasn't even a note 7.

The Jeep? Sorry I'm calling it now... that was awesome video. Seems to have been captured at just the right time. Not denying it could have happened but we sure fanned the flames here without even knowing more about the story. I think there is more to that one and I will wait to see SS's analysis.

I was just at the airport. No big deal guys. As a responsible person I chose on my own to keep it powered off. Just got on the plane and came home. I prefer to watch my media on my flipbook anyways.

I will just wait for my swap and go along like nothing happened. It was my intention to keep this amazing device for 2 years.

Thank you for this excellent and sane post.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Interesting they all happened just after the announcements and no more big ticket items since, yet the media and forums keep treating is as new. Caution is good, but hysteria is bad. We are humans, not Lemmings :)

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
And latest breaking news: Samsung will issue a software update that makes it impossible to charge the battery past 60%. Why? Because, said a BNP Paribas analyst, "people are not returning the phones." Does 60% make anyone (a) happy to keep this; or (b) comfortable in terms of safety? How about news that the recall isn't actually working? That doesn't make me so happy. Safety issues aside, I wonder how many people will be staring at me on a plane when I pull out a Note 4 and I wonder how long it will take for someone to tell me to put it away anyway because they have no idea what they are saying or what the issue really is. In other words--the slide into Samsung becoming a pariah.

The analyst quoted by Associated Press called this software update "a desperate measure." Indeed. It would infuriate me as a user and it still doesn't really reassure me as someone who might be affected by fires. I suspect the only measure that will work is canceling the Note 7 series and making it history as soon as possible, whether due to actual concern or just marketing savvy, or some combo of both.

I thought this software update was being issued only for the Korean market, unless Samsung now is planning to do this in the US as well. Even so, nobody can force a software upgrade onto people who don't want it, can they? To refuse the upgrade, however, would mean you would not be able to selectively accept any future upgrades, some that you might actually want or need.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The 60% is a bad idea, since the main threat is during charging. If the anode / cathode layers short, the 60% setting is irrelevant, since the battery will continue charging until it ruptures or the cable burns/shorts out. If anything this would give users a false sense of security during charging. This seems a ploy to get people off the device IMO, but could have unintended consequences due to false sense of security during charging.

The after market for these devices might be rampant.
Actually, by capping at 60%, those people will be charging more frequently (but possibly for shorter periods of time).

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Now that Note 7 has been officially recalled by the CPSC Note 7 are now banned on all aircraft (defective ones that is)

It's really going to be interesting how Samsung deals with this so they can distinguish which is a bad one or not.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a source for that?

Any device that is officially recalled by the manufacturer is not allowed on any plane.

On the front page here:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall: Everything you need to know | Android Central

Since the Galaxy Note 7 has now been officially recalled in the U.S., the FAA's official stance on recalled products comes into effect: "if the device is recalled by the manufacturer, airline crew and passengers will not be able to bring recalled batteries or electronics that contain recalled batteries in the cabin of an aircraft, or in carry-on and checked baggage."

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Which is now going to get very interesting how we will distinguish the new ones from the old ones.

What Samsung should have done was remove Carrier Branding from all the new devices so we can distinguish the older ones versus the new one. Just leave "Samsung Note7" on the back and call it a day. This way they can just publish that all new Note7s will be distinguished by simply displaying the manufacturer and model names. Anything with carrier branding would be a clear sign it was a recalled device.

Just my .02

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
What Samsung should have done was remove Carrier Branding from all the new devices so we can distinguish the older ones versus the new one. Just leave "Samsung Note7" on the back and call it a day. This way they can just publish that all new Note7s will be distinguished by simply displaying the manufacturer and model names. Anything with carrier branding would be a clear sign it was a recalled device.

Just my .02
No carrier branding on T-mobile.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just flew to Atlanta on Thursday and back to Cincinnati today on Delta. On both flights they announced that anyone with a note 7 must turn it off and cannot put it in checked luggage. Not totally banned, but definitely they are calling it out.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No carrier branding on T-mobile.
Yep, no carrier branding on mine either, which was t Mobile as wee.

Any device that is officially recalled by the manufacturer is not allowed on any plane.

On the front page here:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall: Everything you need to know | Android Central

Since the Galaxy Note 7 has now been officially recalled in the U.S., the FAA's official stance on recalled products comes into effect: "if the device is recalled by the manufacturer, airline crew and passengers will not be able to bring recalled batteries or electronics that contain recalled batteries in the cabin of an aircraft, or in carry-on and checked baggage."

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
When will it be lifted? you know how long it will be before every old note 7 is off the streets? Unless they come up with a kill switch someway this will always be the case. But really are they checking each phone as you use it on a plane? the note 7 looks like many other phones. But if this is going to be a long time thing then there has to be some discount of the new note 7 since in affect it can't go on a plane either.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If anything the Note 7 would be banned. They won't ban all cell phones. They get money for in flight wifi.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If anything the Note 7 would be banned. They won't ban all cell phones. They get money for in flight wifi.

I think ultimately that is right, but I've already heard of some panicked overreactions, including one flight announcement asking people not to use ANY cell phones or charge anything on the plane.

Ultimately, the bigger picture here is this, as alluded to in an article I was reading: I suspect in 10 years we will have a different tech than lith ion. There have just been too many problems too often.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if they know that pretty much any cell phone battery can be purposely compromised and cause it to catch fire/react in a similar fashion to which the "exploding" Note 7s do? You could go to the bathroom and break open a S7/S7E, compromise the battery, and cause it to catch fire. I guess the difference is it being done accidentally versus purposely, it's still an overreaction IMO.