Abusing your Note 7 because you'll get it replaced? Think twice...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You got a Note 7. It's beautiful, shiny, new...and then the news break and you get the recall e-mail.

Suddenly, you know you'll get this phone replaced. If you're waiting for the new Notes to come in and do so, you might start thinking 'well, this thing has its days numbered, so what the heck!' and stop using a case, peel off the screen protector, and jump in the pool with the phone more often than you would if it were a 'keeper'.

Well, think again, especially if you're exchanging through carriers. I have confirmed with both Verizon and T-Mobile that their standard inspection for trade-in/return devices will apply (for T-Mobile, it's the same inspection that Jump! users go through when upgrading their phones). So if the phone doesn't work, has noticeable scratches or signs of abuse, they might charge you a fee or deny the exchange altogether.

Again, it's up to each carrier and where you return it and who's there to receive it, so your mileage might vary. But still, be careful not to break your soon-to-be-gone phone, just in case.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
AT&T wants to give me an S7 to use meanwhile...what if I drop it? I don't want to be stuck with a phone I didn't even want in the first place. This is why I am shutting my N7 off and storing it in the box, powering up my Mate 8 and waiting until I can just do a straight exchange.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
AT&T wants to give me an S7 to use meanwhile...what if I drop it? I don't want to be stuck with a phone I didn't even want in the first place. This is why I am shutting my N7 off and storing it in the box, powering up my Mate 8 and waiting until I can just do a straight exchange.

If you damage the loaners on At&t in any way you'll be stuck with it.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I personally, took off my case and removed my 256gb sd card... There's no way that I'm gonna let those items get burned up, if this phone catches fire.....

Also, the reps gave you bad info... it's Samsung that's footing the bill for this exchange and tbey want the phones regardless of cracked screens or scratches...

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused....so we can't get this phone wet? I thought that was part of the appeal of getting this phone was that just in case I do jump into the pool with it on me I don't have to worry about it....now FYI my phone hasn't gotten wet yet because I am very careful with it....but all of these things I've read on here about there being moisture in the charging port....should I be concerned to get it even a little wet?!?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Imagine the look on the people faces that did purposely crack etc their phone when they got to the store and they say nope not taking it. You stuck with it. Lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused....so we can't get this phone wet? I thought that was part of the appeal of getting this phone was that just in case I do jump into the pool with it on me I don't have to worry about it....now FYI my phone hasn't gotten wet yet because I am very careful with it....but all of these things I've read on here about there being moisture in the charging port....should I be concerned to get it even a little wet?!?

The phone's waterproof rating does make it, well, waterproof but the spec is for standing water. The added pressure when JUMPING in the pool (or strong jets of water) might be more than what the phone can stand (unlikely for a quick jump, but would you really want to test it?). Getting it underwater gently or getting it wet with small splashes (faucets, normal showers, rain, etc.) is what the phone is rated for, but jumping in the water briskly or placing it in front of the jacuzzi jet to record the bubble stream, that might be too much pressure for the seals to take.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
The phone's waterproof rating does make it, well, waterproof but the spec is for standing water. The added pressure when JUMPING in the pool (or strong jets of water) might be more than what the phone can stand (unlikely for a quick jump, but would you really want to test it?). Getting it underwater gently or getting it wet with small splashes (faucets, normal showers, rain, etc.) is what the phone is rated for, but jumping in the water briskly or placing it in front of the jacuzzi jet to record the bubble stream, that might be too much pressure for the seals to take.

I see....well I watched a number of reviews (before purchase) from some very reputable Android experts putting it directly under running water....some swimming with it in the ocean.....some swimming with it while also taking picutres...I guess they are not aware of what the "waterproof rating" actually means...

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Imagine the look on the people faces that did purposely crack etc their phone when they got to the store and they say nope not taking it. You stuck with it. Lol

They have to take them back. They can make you buy insurance, but they have to take it back, because if it explodes then they will be on the hook for not allowing you to get a new phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante