Abusing your Note 7 because you'll get it replaced? Think twice...

bushy73

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm guessing that like with any other customer service experience, it may vary. I happened to find a very helpful guy at the ATT store the day I exchanged it. Earlier in that same day I was told by a rep at a different ATT location that I wouldn't be able to swap the loaner phone for a new Note 7 when it's available. If only there was consistency and shared knowledge across the board at these companies.
Clear statement from Samsung.....

."If my Note 7 is damaged, can I still get a remedy?

Yes, you are still entitled to a remedy of your choice if your device is damaged.

Do I need to return all my accessories that came in the box?

No, we do not require you to return all the accessories which came with the device. If you received a free 256G SD card as a part of the pre-sales order; you may keep the SD card."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m%2Fau%2Fgalaxynote7-notice%2F&token=38HelQ2C

mike208

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
So my wife just told me she called verizon today and the rep told her all the bad phones were made and sold in Korea(obviously we know that not to be completely true) so the odds of ours having a problem is 1 in a billion. I explained to her how the odds have already been blown out of the water. But clearly the carriers don't have the info and don't want to have to deal with this recall.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You got a Note 7. It's beautiful, shiny, new...and then the news break and you get the recall e-mail.

Suddenly, you know you'll get this phone replaced. If you're waiting for the new Notes to come in and do so, you might start thinking 'well, this thing has its days numbered, so what the heck!' and stop using a case, peel off the screen protector, and jump in the pool with the phone more often than you would if it were a 'keeper'.

Well, think again, especially if you're exchanging through carriers. I have confirmed with both Verizon and T-Mobile that their standard inspection for trade-in/return devices will apply (for T-Mobile, it's the same inspection that Jump! users go through when upgrading their phones). So if the phone doesn't work, has noticeable scratches or signs of abuse, they might charge you a fee or deny the exchange altogether.

Again, it's up to each carrier and where you return it and who's there to receive it, so your mileage might vary. But still, be careful not to break your soon-to-be-gone phone, just in case.

Samsung exchange program takes them back no matter the condition. Samsung wants the recalled Note 7s offf the street. So if a carrier will not take back your phone, get the managers name, employee name and number and call Samsung. A samsumg rep will deal with the employee who refused, set them straight and arrange it for your next visit so your phone can be exchanged. I spoke with Samsung and they instructed me to do that.

Carriers and retailer need to realize it's not our fault the phones are bein recalled and catching fire. The number one issue here is safety. No.excuse to.purposely abuse your phone but no excuse to deny a return on a potentially dangerous phone that's being replace for free either.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
that's right. Samsung have clearly stated that no accessories from the box need to be returned, only the phone.

Clear statement from Samsung.....

."If my Note 7 is damaged, can I still get a remedy?

Yes, you are still entitled to a remedy of your choice if your device is damaged.

Do I need to return all my accessories that came in the box?

No, we do not require you to return all the accessories which came with the device. If you received a free 256G SD card as a part of the pre-sales order; you may keep the SD card."

Important information for Galaxy Note7 owners

If that holds true for all of us that would be nice. In addition to getting a $25 gift card (or credit on your phone bill if you so choose) you'll also have an extra pair of headphones, USB-C adapters, USB-C to USB-A cable, and a extra fast charging wall plug. Hopefully the carriers will not pull some: We'll since you didn't bring in your accessories we're keeping the ones from the new phone/box.
For those of you that turned your phones in: Did you turn in the box (with the IMEI stickers and such), or just the physical phone unit by itself?

So my wife just told me she called verizon today and the rep told her all the bad phones were made and sold in Korea(obviously we know that not to be completely true) so the odds of ours having a problem is 1 in a billion. I explained to her how the odds have already been blown out of the water. But clearly the carriers don't have the info and don't want to have to deal with this recall.

Yep, all the phones except for the ones in China were all manufactured in South Korea, and all of those phones (again except for the Chinese ones) all have the Korean Samsung batteries. Look on the bottom of your box (where the IMEI and serial number are listed), and you'll see that it says: "Made in Korea". Its pretty bad that reps are either so misinformed, or lying out of their teeth (to try to avoid the conversation). Saying that the problem is only for phones both made and sold in Korea is pretty ridiculous. I wounder what that rep would say if someone showed him/her the sticker on the bottom of the phone box, or was asked " "then where was my Note 7 made?".If someone were to make a recall misinformation that you've heard thread it would probably get a lot of posts with some pretty ridiculous statements.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a cracked screen N7. Filed an insurance claim, came home that day and found out there was a recall. I tried to cancel claim with asurion but they wouldnt cancel claim. I went to return phone at best buy and they refused it. I called samsung and explained the issue. Samsumg was awesome, Samsung said " if we are replacing your phone for for free regardless and insurance still wants to fulfill claim and charge you a deductable for.a replacement we replace for free anyways wouldnt that almost be fraud on insurances part?". Samsung instructed me to go to best buy,, return the damaged phone and get store and employee info if they refused. End result.....Best buy ended up listening to (Samsung) and took back my phone .

In the last few days with my dealings with a few note 7s, I must say samsung has been great, ATT has been great. Best buy definitely sucks and I will never purchase a phone there again. Going to the source (the carrier) is the only way to go.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung exchange program takes them back no matter the condition. Samsung wants the recalled Note 7s offf the street. So if a carrier will not take back your phone, get the managers name, employee name and number and call Samsung. A samsumg rep will deal with the employee who refused, set them straight and arrange it for your next visit so your phone can be exchanged. I spoke with Samsung and they instructed me to do that.

Carriers and retailer need to realize it's not our fault the phones are bein recalled and catching fire. The number one issue here is safety. No.excuse to.purposely abuse your phone but no excuse to deny a return on a potentially dangerous phone that's being replace for free either.
Samsung isn't that serious about getting them all off the street. They don't want to take care of the people that bought their phone off of swappa or eBay.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
My wife exchanged her s7 because the battery sucked and it took for ever to charge. The sprint store we went to allowed her to keep all of the accessories and gave her the new one with the box and all accessories.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I was told by AT&T rep in my area that I have to return all the cables that came with the phone including the charger and cable

You're getting robbed, my friend. Samsung themselves told me through email that they don't need any of the extras back, just the phone. Why are these carriers being so cheap?! They're not paying for anything... Samsung is.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You're getting robbed, my friend. Samsung themselves told me through email that they don't need any of the extras back, just the phone. Why are these carriers being so cheap?! They're not paying for anything... Samsung is.
I wish I had that email so I can show them because it doesn't make sense to return the cable and charger to me

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The store reps don't want to deal with you. So if you're missing something, it's a way for them to get rid of you. They work on commission. They do not get paid extra for the times when you are returning an $864 phone. When I go in to Verizon, I won't be leaving without my refund. Charger at home.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
This OP is kind of ridiculous. I just set up my replacement with Samsung, and I actually get the new phone before I send my old one back. So damage your phone all you want you will already have the new one in your hands.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This OP is kind of ridiculous. I just set up my replacement with Samsung, and I actually get the new phone before I send my old one back. So damage your phone all you want you will already have the new one in your hands.
did you give them a credit card number, do they have one from your order.. Chances are they have your card pre authorized for the phone. If they sent you one with no card on file, that would surprise me.

Mugen_Cris

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
ed24cc4996df36115cd20a1e9815d4e4.jpg

From AT&T.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
They would probably be more responsive if you asked if they will take responsibility for any damage to you or your property if the device is faulty and catches fire. In light of the fact Samsung has said they are all to be replaced and told you to go to your carrier.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
A couple things on this thread. The term voluntary recall does not mean that they don't have to take the phone back if you are missing the cables. It also does not mean it is optional for the consumer to return it (it is ALWAYS optional.). The term voluntary recall means that a federal agency is not forcing the company to initate the recall. It also leaves an opening for things to go wrong because there is no teeth to compell a RETAILER to stop selling the defective item.

Either way nothing really compells anyone from taking part in a recall. Eg. If my car has an outstanding recall to fix some dohicky there is no law to compell me to do so.

Now. If a federal agency noticed that a company is making it really hard to get unsafe equipment off the streets ... Eg insisting on cables or boxes then it might just step in.

It makes no sense to demand accessories. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone actually lost a cable or box in the last 3 weeks.

To make this an impediment to ensuring safety would not be viewed upon positively by agencies.

On AC I just saw an article with a link to sign up for the recall program. As best I can tell I am now on a list to have a new one shipped to me AND someone from Samsung will reach out to me within 48 hours.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I already saw a couple posts on FB from people jumping in the water with the phone and one wondering if he should try the scratch test on the Gorilla glass.

i have many times taken my keys and (discretely) rubbed as hard as i can on the Samsung display models when the Samsung ppl weren't looking, and EVEN THO i know that's sneaky, (hey! 700+ ain't chump change!) i must admit i have never successfully put a mark on them....

i haven't done it to the Note 7 on display in our local Best Buy, cuz from the minute i picked the phone up, it felt so plastic-like to me and quite frankly none of the ONLY 3 COLORS truly appealed to me... i KNEW i wouldn't be happy with it....

Not bashing the phone, but when i looked at the Note 7 right next to my beautiful WHITE S7 Edge, i was like, "um, NO ty Sammy, i may be your BIGGEST fan, BUT m
aybe next year when i can get one for $400, but no way 800 PLUS tax, sorry!"....lol

BTC

004.jpg

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Verizon though has already said it would take back damaged phones within reason. Not sure what Verizon's guideline is, but it does not sound like a good idea to trash the phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49