Abusing your Note 7 because you'll get it replaced? Think twice...

LL HUGH J

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I apologize in advance for a few questions I'm about to ask if it's been covered, I am on Sprint:

1.) Are you guys backing up to Cloud/External Media/etc and Factory WIping your phones before heading into a store?

2.) Obviously taking off any cases and SD Cards. Are you guys also doing anything with the sim card or no?

3.) Are they giving you a unopened boxed Note 7 or just a device like what you are handing in?

4.) I have a Coral Blue, say I walk in and say I want to exchange for Silver. Will they honor that request or it has to be color to color swap?

Thanks again guys and apologize if these have been answered already.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I apologize in advance for a few questions I'm about to ask if it's been covered, I am on Sprint:

1.) Are you guys backing up to Cloud/External Media/etc and Factory WIping your phones before heading into a store?

2.) Obviously taking off any cases and SD Cards. Are you guys also doing anything with the sim card or no?

3.) Are they giving you a unopened boxed Note 7 or just a device like what you are handing in?

4.) I have a Coral Blue, say I walk in and say I want to exchange for Silver. Will they honor that request or it has to be color to color swap?

Thanks again guys and apologize if these have been answered already.
You should always back up and then wipe the phone before turning it in.

You can keep your SIM.

Phone will be new in box.

Switching colors will probably be allowed but no telling how many of certain colors they will receive.
It should be new in box.

LL HUGH J

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You should always back up and then wipe the phone before turning it in.

You can keep your SIM.

Phone will be new in box.

Switching colors will probably be allowed but no telling how many of certain colors they will receive.
It should be new in box.

Thanks so much for the answers!! Was considering switching from Blue to Silver, but I'll keep it as is. May even keep the S-Pen lol

And it's up to you I guess if you want to activate the new phone there on the spot or take it home and do it yourself....

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the answers!! Was considering switching from Blue to Silver, but I'll keep it as is. May even keep the S-Pen lol

And it's up to you I guess if you want to activate the new phone there on the spot or take it home and do it yourself....
I'm just guessing they will be more than happy to let you activate from home since they aren't making any money on you with just an exchange.

You will probably just have to ask what colors they have when you go in. Switching may be an option.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You got a Note 7. It's beautiful, shiny, new...and then the news break and you get the recall e-mail.

Suddenly, you know you'll get this phone replaced. If you're waiting for the new Notes to come in and do so, you might start thinking 'well, this thing has its days numbered, so what the heck!' and stop using a case, peel off the screen protector, and jump in the pool with the phone more often than you would if it were a 'keeper'.

Well, think again, especially if you're exchanging through carriers. I have confirmed with both Verizon and T-Mobile that their standard inspection for trade-in/return devices will apply (for T-Mobile, it's the same inspection that Jump! users go through when upgrading their phones). So if the phone doesn't work, has noticeable scratches or signs of abuse, they might charge you a fee or deny the exchange altogether.

Again, it's up to each carrier and where you return it and who's there to receive it, so your mileage might vary. But still, be careful not to break your soon-to-be-gone phone, just in case.

if you drive a ford and they recall a seat belt, do they check the bumper?

I am not recommending you try and damage your phone, I also don't doubt that carriers will try and skirt the issue, but if you try and exchange your phone and they reject it for cosmetic issue and then your house burns down, you dont think samsung( and carrier/store) will be liable?

Not sure this would be the same if it was the antenna or wifi board or something not a safety issue. My guess is they will take it unless they can prove the damage caused by the owner was greater then the possibility of fire. Remember Fight Club, Ed Norton's job was to add up the cost of replacing the part and compare it to the possibility of litigation. The lower number wins. At this point we are past that. I believe the recall is voluntary until they make it mandatory. This is all just my opinion. I have eased up on holding mine like an egg. I took off the screen protector that came on the phone. I was holding out on getting another one until more reviews were in. I also take the case off while I am home. I still go way out of my way to protect my phone. I have been mad at myself all to often when I damaged a phone for doing something stupid. So I am trying to keep my good habits.
My son dropped his Nvidia Shield Tablet within a week of getting it for Christmas. They issued a recall, that started as voluntary, then changed it to all. They did not ask any questions about the condition of the tablet, or whether it even worked. They just said fill this out, receive a new tablet and send us yours.

All this time Samsung has to get this figured I bet the original number of 35 had increased and will continue to do so. The only number that has not increased is the number sold. So 2.5 mil sold, used for at most 21 days and 35 plus have popped. Including maybe some personal property. So far no harm done, but the issue seems to increase when charging. Something most of us do while sleeping or when we are not paying attention to the phone. I am actually surprised it not a total recall.

Again I am not an expert anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Once everyone's N7s are exchanged, regardless of cracked screens or not. This thread will be laughable just like the threads from last week. The ones blaming 3rd party usb-c cords for the phone catching fire.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Once everyone's N7s are exchanged, regardless of cracked screens or not. This thread will be laughable just like the threads from last week. The ones blaming 3rd party usb-c cords for the phone catching fire.
This is all really getting Ridiculous , but once this ends its back to Politics again

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Imagine the look on the people faces that did purposely crack etc their phone when they got to the store and they say nope not taking it. You stuck with it. Lol

Why would they refuse it? The COMPANY is issuing a global recall...seems like a 'get out a jail free' card

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
BTW, not that anything the corp reps say is 100%, but the local store told me 2 things. First they are taking back all phone regardless of the condition. Meaning they have already taken back phone for refunds and exchanges and of those some have been damaged. No problem with the return. He said, what do we care samsung says its recalled, we take it and ship it back.

The second thing he said is he believed the phones will be in next week and that a date for exchange will be set. Meaning they will arrive that day or if they arrive early, they will not be given, until the date. He said that samsung will send out that date soon. My concern was that if they got 5 or some low number they would be gone before I could exchange. He said the process is confirmed but the date is not. He also said they should have plenty of them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
if you drive a ford and they recall a seat belt, do they check the bumper?

They don't check anything else on your vehicle on the recalled product because your going to be leaving with the same vehicle. This recall is not that way, your getting a new phone. Not a good example. Samsung has said they are taking them all back so no worries here anyway. Verizon I can see trying to block the swaps, but even they said within reason, what remains to be seen yet is what Verizon considers within reason.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
They don't check anything else on your vehicle on the recalled product because your going to be leaving with the same vehicle. This recall is not that way, your getting a new phone. Not a good example. Samsung has said they are taking them all back so no worries here anyway. Verizon I can see trying to block the swaps, but even they said within reason, what remains to be seen yet is what Verizon considers within reason.
and if samsung made a replaceable battery you would keep your phone. its still a safety hazard.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You'll be surprised about how many people purposefully damage their phones if they know they getting a free one later.

What's the reasoning behind this? Do they somehow feel as if they're "stickin it to the man"? If so, that's nonsense on their part. It's a wasteful practice and turns around to bite the consumer in the long run. As if the device wasn't already expensive enough. Its silly they lack the foresight to understand the cost gets recouped somewhere else.

What are they doing? Busting the screen or denting the housing? If I had my way, I'd send those devices off to Samsung with the customer's information so they could swap the battery and return the device in the same condition. If I were the carrier I'd note the abused condition and automatically bill a $200 insurance deductable to next month.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Right. Just saying why condition could be an issue with the note 7 recall versus a seatbelt recall. But just want to say again condition should not be an issue in this case.

The seat belt is the faulty part of the car being recalled. the car company is not going to dispute the car condition because they already admitted the part may be faulty. In this case samsung is not saying the phone is bad, just the battery. They have decided to make the phone in a way in which this could not be replaced, so a full unit recall is needed. I love then phones construction and feel. Not sure one with a removable battery would compare. I have owned many (actually this is my first with a sealed unit). This is be far the best feel in my hand.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The seat belt is the faulty part of the car being recalled. the car company is not going to dispute the car condition because they already admitted the part may be faulty. In this case samsung is not saying the phone is bad, just the battery. They have decided to make the phone in a way in which this could not be replaced, so a full unit recall is needed. I love then phones construction and feel. Not sure one with a removable battery would compare. I have owned many (actually this is my first with a sealed unit). This is be far the best feel in my hand.
I love the feel of this phone. I sticking with it. Samsung could have handled this recall by having everyone send the phone in for new battery, I am glad they did not do that. They probably know that they will get higher replacement rate by replacing the phone. I can't wait til this is over with so we can go back to enjoying an awesome phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I love the feel of this phone. I sticking with it. Samsung could have handled this recall by having everyone send the phone in for new battery, I am glad they did not do that. They probably know that they will get higher replacement rate by replacing the phone. I can't wait til this is over with so we can go back to enjoying an awesome phone.

And now you know where most of the refurbs for warranty replacements will come from :p