09-08-2016 11:12 AM
90 1234
tools
    You said it... Rolling the dice... In three months, if a battery explodes and the phone was an original that wasn't returned in the recall, no matter the damage caused, Sammy won't be liable. Everyone will be calling the person a mor0n and Sammy will have no responsibility.

Does ANYONE believe in personal responsibility these days?
    You must not know how manufacturer liability works it's always the manufacturer liability during a recall, it down not matter if the moron or ***** didn't use the recall if their device starts a fire Samsung will be liable for the damages two years from now, ask gm about the ignition recall I'm sure they will blame someone else also but in the meantime they are paying out wrongful death law suits
    09-07-2016 11:28 PM
    Scrapping the Note 7 is the absolute worst thing they could do to their brand. What a way to signal to the public that something went so wrong that even you no longer stand behind your flagship.

I can't begin to think of how badly that would come off to the public. Renaming it just looks like your covering up something.

I like that Samsung isn't playing games here. It happened, now deal with it head on.
    09-07-2016 11:28 PM
    You must not know how manufacturer liability works it's always the manufacturer liability during a recall, it down not matter if the moron or ***** didn't use the recall if their device starts a fire Samsung will be liable for the damages two years from now, ask gm about the ignition recall I'm sure they will blame someone else also but in the meantime they are paying out wrongful death law suits
    GM didn't admit liability until congress forced them to issue a recall. During the whole process, they were liable.

My question remains, is personal responsibility nonexistent today?
    Jona005 and Weils like this.
    09-07-2016 11:35 PM
    Personal liability is nonexistent in a court of law when it comes to manufacturer liability and that's what counts
    09-07-2016 11:39 PM
    If that's going to happen, it's going to happen regardless. There's nothing you, I or Samsung can do about people who choose to keep their phones. No more than we can stop people from doing anything else potentially dangerous.

So I'm still not getting your point?
    09-07-2016 11:39 PM
    Personal liability is nonexistent in a court of law when it comes to manufacturer liability and that's what counts
    In case you missed it, I was referring to those who refuse to exchange their phones being responsible for their choice. They're going to make Sammy pay for their lazy irresponsibility?
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-07-2016 11:52 PM
    theres a story of the note 7 setting a dudes motel room on fire lol
    09-08-2016 01:12 AM
    Supposedly it also drowned a baby
    Jona005 and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-08-2016 01:25 AM
    Deleted
    09-08-2016 04:40 AM
    Okay so.. If they scrap it how would that make those turn it back in? It wouldn't so that wouldn't work.

If someone doesn't want to turn it in they won't. No one can force them. We can only highly recommend. Scraping makes no difference on this.
    Well, i am guessing if it REALLY became necessary, couldn't they put a, "GLOBAL IMEI Block on EVERY NOTE 7 Sold"?! There are SOME workarounds to that (i think) but that would DEFINITELY force the hand of 99% of owners then....

I agree with OP, Note 7 Pro, Tagline "Won't Go Boom!"...Water AND Fire Resistant....lol

BTC
    09-08-2016 05:52 AM
    In case you missed it, I was referring to those who refuse to exchange their phones being responsible for their choice. They're going to make Sammy pay for their lazy irresponsibility?
    I agree with you up to one point, the ones that bought their phones from third party such as swappa or eBay. As it stands now Samsung is saying you have you go to where you purchased the phone. There are buyers and sellers in disputes now over this, some will get returned, some won't for various reasons, I suspect some note 7 phones will not get replaced for this reason. So unless Samsung agrees to exchange such phones directly they won't get all the phones off the street and it won't be because the person is lazy, it will be because Samsung didn't do everything possible to get them off the street.
    09-08-2016 06:58 AM
    I'm sure Volkswagen is a much bigger company than Samsung and guess WHAT, all the Braintrust and executives in the company under-estimated the cost of their recall by 20 billion so what qualifications did they have.
    Lastly I do have a MBA and most recalls actually, if u do the research 83 percent of all recalls in the end are underestimated because you cant use theoretical situations that may or may not happen. Ex. Someone house burns down with 3 humans in it caused by your product, there is no column to insert that in ur figures. So Yea it's probably underestimated. Another ex. Ask Toyota another Company that is much larger than Samsung, they underestimated they pedal recall by 3 billion so looka there under estimation happens especially with recalls.
    According to this wikipedia list, Samsung tops both Volkswagen and Toyota in terms of revenue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_by_revenue
    Jona005 and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-08-2016 07:00 AM
    I don't think that's a practical move, really.

Smartphones, by contrary, aren't designed and made in just a few days. Development on the next model sometimes starts before the current model is even released. In the case of the LG V20, it was already in development by the time the LG G5 was released.

If Samsung were to kill off the Note7, it wouldn't make much sense. As ThrottleJohnny stated, it would look as if Samsung had pretty much lost all confidence in the phone and just pulled the plug. For people who already own the Note7, it would be quite concerning that Samsung could no longer stand by a product that you shelled out a lot of money for.

Thing is, Samsung has already ironed out a solution. Whether it'll work or not, we'll have to see in the coming weeks. But in the meantime, I suggest that people who have a Note7 stop using it and check with your carrier on when replacements arrive and whether you can get a loaner. I know some people who have received calls from their carrier, telling them that their replacements have arrived, so it shouldn't be long.
    09-08-2016 07:07 AM
    Again. This is the single DUMBEST post I've read in 2016 and that's including all the political crap.

This is a BATTERY issue. It isn't a device issue.

Did iPhone scrap the iPhone 4 when it too had issues relating to the battery catching fire?

(edited by Moderator)
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-08-2016 07:16 AM
    I don't think that's a practical move, really.

Smartphones, by contrary, aren't designed and made in just a few days. Development on the next model sometimes starts before the current model is even released. In the case of the LG V20, it was already in development by the time the LG G5 was released.

If Samsung were to kill off the Note7, it wouldn't make much sense. As ThrottleJohnny stated, it would look as if Samsung had pretty much lost all confidence in the phone and just pulled the plug. For people who already own the Note7, it would be quite concerning that Samsung could no longer stand by a product that you shelled out a lot of money for.

Thing is, Samsung has already ironed out a solution. Whether it'll work or not, we'll have to see in the coming weeks. But in the meantime, I suggest that people who have a Note7 stop using it and check with your carrier on when replacements arrive and whether you can get a loaner. I know some people who have received calls from their carrier, telling them that their replacements have arrived, so it shouldn't be long.

Well it has begun and like I said I love the note 7 but you need something that distance themselves away from this before it gets out hand and here is new proof a new airline ban. With the FAA looking to do the same just scrap the model and come out with a new model it cost more but less of a headache, Im sure samsung thought of an airline ban too huh....... With any product you have a loss margin there is no winning with this model no matter how much all of us likes the device, Its now at the stage of airline bans people wake up. Samsung I love the note 7 but it may be time to wave the white flag and start over with a note 7 pro, or note 8. and shut down all the note 7's with a Imei lock or software shut down that way the phones have to come in to be exchanged. There are contingencies that samsung did not encounter and this is one of them, This bad press is super negative and hurting the company bottom line and rep just trash the entire line and start anew it will give you favor with the people and the world but fixing a problem that most over exaggerate and some morons wont swap just because will cost. money, time and reputation with all your divisions not just the cell phone division. At this rate Australian Airlines will be the first of many....
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/08/...galaxy-note-7/
    09-08-2016 07:20 AM
    I'll agree, they should have renamed it to note 7s. Everyone would know it was fixed and for future resale if it said note 7s on the back we would know it's a fixed one and not one that someone didn't get replaced, easy just have to see note 7s on the back.
    That is actually a really good idea. I wouldn't call the second batch "7s"as it smacks too much of iPhone. But there should be some way of identifying the new batch of Notes. This would be useful if another Note 7 catches fire in a month or two, to easily identify whether it was an initial batch that was not handed or a second batch.

As the current Note says "Galaxy Note 7" on the back, all that would have to be done to differentiate it is something simple like a slightly different font, change of size of the font, a slightly different stylised font, the text being in all bold or a different color etc.

That simple thing would prevent the media having a frenzy if another Note melts as Samsung could easily clarify that the phone was an initial batch that was not handed in for recall as requested.

With no way of identifying, if another Note melts, the media will have a field day and it will be a disaster for Samsung. Just thinking, if changing the label is too much retooling, you could add maybe a tiny sticker in a corner at the back. Anything to clearly differentiate the new Notes from the initial batch.
    09-08-2016 07:25 AM
    I definitely think that Samsung should be doing something to the "fixed" phones that definitively differentiates them from the first batch. Not sure what since the fix is internal and they wouldn't want to modify the manufacturing processes at this point, but anything would help...
    09-08-2016 07:28 AM
    Eh, I'm not too sure, really.

It doesn't work that way. Companies don't just scrap products like that unless it becomes too much of a headache either due to development costs or that it proves to be too much of an issue in the real-world, including safety issues.

If the Note7 continues to exhibit the same issues in future batches, then maybe that might be on the cards. But if they can get it sorted, then I don't think it'll fare too badly.
    09-08-2016 07:35 AM
    I agree with the 2 posts above

Samsung needs to distinguish the new Note 7 with some kind of branding or something.

If the FAA does a ban then I can see some big problems for the Note 7

If there is no markings on the new units EVERY Note 7 new or old will not be allowed on the planes.

That right now is Samsung biggest problem.
    09-08-2016 07:36 AM
    All this talk about the FAA doing anything is laughable.

How are they going to distinguish the two? It's not incumbent on Samsung to change ANYTHING with branding at all.

This entire debate is ridiculous.

It's all just a bunch of scare crap to make Samsung move. And they are moving. Rapidly. You cannot magically produce 1.2 million new battery notes in 3 days. Smh

How can the FTSB distinguish between Toyotas that were recalled and those that were not? There's a greater risk of someone killing someone on the road due to faulty airbags and brakes than with a phone getting hot and burning.

How many Prius owners DIDNT return their vehicle for the recall? You think everyone did?

Why does Toyota still call it a Prius? Why not the Grand Prius.

I cannot believe this is even a debate.

The phone has an issue. It's BEING FIXED.

This obsessing over it is amazing to me as if there's never been an issue with any phones from the past (errrrrr. iPhone 4 also burning 3 people).
    09-08-2016 07:40 AM
    I feel like for awhile the news will remind us why there are signs in places that say "don't touch, risk of burn" and labels on coffee cups that remind people that they are personally liable if they spill it on themselves. After that things will return to business as usual.
    09-08-2016 07:40 AM
    Samsung just needs to do what it can to 1.) remove as many faulty Note 7s from the wild 2.) release updated Note 7s as fast as they can and 3.) throw some perks to the inconvenienced customers. That is all they should do. Oh wait...that's what they're doing now.

The news stories and widespread coverage of the issue won't be forgotten completely. The good news is that they have probably started development on next year's Note 8. Sales of the Note 7 will be affected by this and resale value will plummet unless sellers jump through all sorts of hoops to prove their unit isn't faulty. Then again, most people probably would want to avoid the issue altogether and end up not buying from Swappa or Ebay.

Make it safe, make it available and move on is what I say.
    09-08-2016 07:46 AM
    Samsung just needs to do what it can to 1.) remove as many faulty Note 7s from the wild 2.) release updated Note 7s as fast as they can and 3.) throw some perks to the inconvenienced customers. That is all they should do. Oh wait...that's what they're doing now.

The news stories and widespread coverage of the issue won't be forgotten completely. The good news is that they have probably started development on next year's Note 8. Sales of the Note 7 will be affected by this and resale value will plummet unless sellers jump through all sorts of hoops to prove their unit isn't faulty. Then again, most people probably would want to avoid the issue altogether and end up not buying from Swappa or Ebay.

Make it safe, make it available and move on is what I say.
    There is no potentially moving on as some people will not hand in their phones. It is these Notes in circulation that potentially can fry later on and start this whole media scrutiny all over again. Which is why some of us are suggesting a slightly different branding to distinguish the new Notes from the first batch ones.
    09-08-2016 07:53 AM
    All this talk about the FAA doing anything is laughable.

How are they going to distinguish the two? It's not incumbent on Samsung to change ANYTHING with branding at all.

This entire debate is ridiculous.

It's all just a bunch of scare crap to make Samsung move. And they are moving. Rapidly. You cannot magically produce 1.2 million new battery notes in 3 days. Smh

How can the FTSB distinguish between Toyotas that were recalled and those that were not? There's a greater risk of someone killing someone on the road due to faulty airbags and brakes than with a phone getting hot and burning.

How many Prius owners DIDNT return their vehicle for the recall? You think everyone did?

Why does Toyota still call it a Prius? Why not the Grand Prius.

I cannot believe this is even a debate.

The phone has an issue. It's BEING FIXED.

This obsessing over it is amazing to me as if there's never been an issue with any phones from the past (errrrrr. iPhone 4 also burning 3 people).
    If and its a big if the FAA does have some sort of ban you will play by their rules. Thats just the way it goes on airplanes.

New Note or old Note, they see it, they dont want it on the plane its out. Simple as that.

In regards to the Prius there is no control on public streets. On airplanes and airports there is control.
    09-08-2016 07:54 AM
    The day the FAA puts a ban or warning I'm out I use airlines for work and I need my phone and the ability for it to be on, I'm pissed because I buy my phones outright and usually make about 300 each year selling it. This note 7 will be trash in the market next year and for a 900 dollar investment that's bad odds, Samsung has till the 28 to do something for me to stay but this is getting out of hand with each passing day. Just trash the line and make a Note 7 pro or note 7.5 something to differentiate the OG note 7 from the new models. Even if u have a new one the world will see it as the old one if it's identical.
    09-08-2016 08:23 AM
90 1234