Samsung needs to scrap the note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rated_R_1911

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Now I know I'm going to get flamed but with all the negative press and a unknown amount of bad note 7s out there, along with anyone with an original note 7 and damage is going to say the note 7 caused it. Samsung should just scrap the note 7 and make a Note 7 pro or a note 8 they need to call it something else to distance itself from bad models. Even when all the Replacements come it might be hesitation from many buyers or Many will choose to keep it or resale it causing more issues. I just think they need to distance themselves from this before it gets out of hand and recall the entire line ala ford with the pinto in the late 70s. Secondly I would change something on the new model so it would be obvious that it's not an original note 7. I know it's a huge loss but this can cost alot more than Samsung estimating. Now don't get me wrong I love my note 7 but I do have a blue one and who knows if it will go off or stay normal. One thing is for sure by Samsung keeping the model active they open themself up to frivolous lawsuits for sometime to come when they could just recall the model and move forward.

Last edited:

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
That's not going to happen. Too much $ invested in the 7 and the recall at this point. Best for those that feel like you do to wait till next year. See what the S8 brings or Note 8 in the Summer.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The worst part is if people don't go in to swap, thinking "my phone is fine I don't need to swap," you're going to keep seeing stories pop up always reminding people Samsungs blow up. :-\ I'm hoping for Sammy to be discounting heavily and pick one up ;)

Well seeing how a Jeep in Florida just caught on fire because of a Note 7, they to get every OG Note 7 off the streets.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Scrap it? Why? Because of a defect that they're fixing through warranties / exchanges?

That's why warranties exist.. For this very thing.

Rated_R_1911

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Scrap it? Why? Because of a defect that they're fixing through warranties / exchanges?

But everyone won't replace their phone thinking that theirs is fine or maybe someone brought it on eBay or even if they found it, anyway of getting a defective model, the one thing that Samsung has to understand is legally they are liable. So 1 billion or 2 billion dollar loss can become alot more, a recall will not take away the legal responsibility of the bad phones that refuse to be or are ignorant to the fact to be replaced.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
"...cost a lot more than Samsung is estimating.."

Lol, what? What qualifications do you have, to know better about an executive-level financial situation of a company than the executives themselves?

NJ Fred

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate what the OP says. And had Samsung not acted assertively, this would be a marketibg necessity, IMO.

However, the new-battery N7's are supposed to be ready to roll out shortly. At this juncture, scrapping the device would be impractical.

Another person cites the Florida incident. It is possible that some N7 owners elect to ignore the warnings and roll the dice by continuing to use a possibly defective and dangerous device. When you roll the dice, you must be prepared to lose.

Let's hope this matter is resolved ASAP and that no one else or their property suffers a detriment. If you know someone who thinks "it can't happen to me," try and wise them up.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
But everyone won't replace their phone thinking that theirs is fine or maybe someone brought it on eBay or even if they found it, anyway of getting a defective model, the one thing that Samsung has to understand is legally they are liable. So 1 billion or 2 billion dollar loss can become alot more, a recall will not take away the legal responsibility of the bad phones that refuse to be or are ignorant to the fact to be replaced.
Yeah this is true. There are stubborn people that are keeping theirs.

Sure it's a low probability. But it's such a stupid risk to take.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay so.. If they scrap it how would that make those turn it back in? It wouldn't so that wouldn't work.

If someone doesn't want to turn it in they won't. No one can force them. We can only highly recommend. Scraping makes no difference on this.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I thought the same as the op for awhile but I know they have way to much money invested to do that. But don't they carry insurance for these kinds things?

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah this is true. There are stubborn people that are keeping theirs.

Sure it's a low probability. But it's such a stupid risk to take.
Samsung made it well known and is advising all customers with the original model to turn it in. At some point, what once was Samsung's liability will turn into the customer's negligence.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Now I know I'm going to get flamed but with all the negative press and a unknown amount of bad note 7s out there, along with anyone with an original note 7 and damage is going to say the note 7 caused it. Samsung should just scrap the note 7 and make a Note 7 pro or a note 8 they need to call it something else to distance itself from bad models. Even when all the Replacements come it might be hesitation from many buyers or Many will choose to keep it or resale it causing more issues. I just think they need to distance themselves from this before it gets out of hand and recall the entire line ala ford with the pinto in the late 70s. Secondly I would change something on the new model so it would be obvious that it's not an original note 7. I know it's a huge loss but this can cost alot more than Samsung estimating. Now don't get me wrong I love my note 7 but I do have a blue one and who knows if it will go off or stay normal. One thing is for sure by Samsung keeping the model active they open themself up to frivolous lawsuits for sometime to come when they could just recall the model and move forward.
I'll agree, they should have renamed it to note 7s. Everyone would know it was fixed and for future resale if it said note 7s on the back we would know it's a fixed one and not one that someone didn't get replaced, easy just have to see note 7s on the back.

Rated_R_1911

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
"...cost a lot more than Samsung is estimating.."

Lol, what? What qualifications do you have, to know better about an executive-level financial situation of a company than the executives themselves?

I'm sure Volkswagen is a much bigger company than Samsung and guess WHAT, all the Braintrust and executives in the company under-estimated the cost of their recall by 20 billion so what qualifications did they have.
Lastly I do have a MBA and most recalls actually, if u do the research 83 percent of all recalls in the end are underestimated because you cant use theoretical situations that may or may not happen. Ex. Someone house burns down with 3 humans in it caused by your product, there is no column to insert that in ur figures. So Yea it's probably underestimated. Another ex. Ask Toyota another Company that is much larger than Samsung, they underestimated they pedal recall by 3 billion so looka there under estimation happens especially with recalls.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: If may I Add and Add-on here,.Noo! : I support the Scrap proposed by
the OP=Original poster. Would be a diplomatic way of Samsung to avoid
like other member said-possible Lawsuits. Stop the assablee of
the remained lote and Move forward, with Note8--Next year

UBiggo

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
They can't really do that as they've already invested a lot in the note 7. If they add something new it might as well be the note 8 which will not only change the annual debut of Samsung devices but we'll have to wait longer.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure Volkswagen is a much bigger company than Samsung and guess WHAT, all the Braintrust and executives in the company under-estimated the cost of their recall by 20 billion so what qualifications did they have.
Lastly I do have a MBA and most recalls actually, if u do the research 83 percent of all recalls in the end are underestimated because you cant use theoretical situations that may or may not happen. Ex. Someone house burns down with 3 humans in it caused by your product, there is no column to insert that in ur figures. So Yea it's probably underestimated. Another ex. Ask Toyota another Company that is much larger than Samsung they underestimated they pedal recall by 3 billion so looka there under estimation happens especially with recalls.
There are so many factors that come into play in these situations. Samsung is recalling every last one of them, not just "estimating" a certain amount of them that may be affected.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Exactly. If i was Samsung there ain't no way i would invest in making and selling so many phones to just throw them away when the problem can be fixed. I know samsung has money but why throw money away when they can make it right. People just need to let this work itself out.

Rated_R_1911

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
They can't really do that as they've already invested a lot in the note 7. If they add something new it might as well be the note 8 which will not only change the annual debut of Samsung devices but we'll have to wait longer.

If I was Samsung I would replace all note 7 with a note 7S or note 7.5 give it more ram and memory and allow anyone with a OG note 7 an exchange no questions asked no matter how they got it they get to exchange it. Get them off the streets but to get them all off the streets Samsung has to give the consumer something that the consumer believes they are getting that's better than what they already have. Replacing the note 7 with the same note 7 is not going to persuade the stubborn OG note 7 consumers to replace their phones but if u give them something better 9 times out of 10 they will replace it. Lastly I would give no software updates to the original note 7 prompting the last holders on to exchange their phones for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.