09-08-2016 11:12 AM
90 ... 234
    There is no potentially moving on as some people will not hand in their phones. It is these Notes in circulation that potentially can fry later on and start this whole media scrutiny all over again. Which is why some of us are suggesting a slightly different branding to distinguish the new Notes from the first batch ones.
    This will not become a larger story than what it already is unless some high profile person's phone causes a fire or God forbid a Note 7 brings down an airliner or causes a building full of people to burn down. All major carriers and retailers participating in the exchange program, sending out text alerts warning of the danger, Samsung press releases, coverage on major news outlets, coverage on almost all tech related sites....how else does the public get notified? It comes to a point where people refuse to turn in their phones because they think they know better, not because they're not aware. The issue then becomes that person making a choice to avoid the warnings and not participate.

Let me ask you this: When we see people on the news stranded due to catastrophic weather events where they were told to evacuate. We often ask the question, "why did they stay? don't they know they are putting emergency services at risk too?"

I think a rebranding this soon after launch would only hurt the image even more. Definitely not a Note 8, and if it were a Note 7s there probably should be some sort of spec upgrade that comes along with it. Maybe a memory upgrade to 6GB or storage capacity to 128GB? Or who knows, maybe they'll just ship all new units with a 128GB micro sd card already inserted. What I'm getting at is there needs to be a significant upgrade to the device to call it something different.

The Note 7 was never intended to have battery issues. And to rebrand it something after addressing a safety issue IMO would bring more negative attention. A Note 7s would serve as a reminder to this whole debacle.

The carriers definitely know which devices are still out in the wild and who the owners are. As a solution to this issue, maybe they can do more to persuade owners to turn in the device.
    Apollo Dezno likes this.
    09-08-2016 08:41 AM
    Is the "IMEI" # on the back the serial #? If not, where is it?
    I like the idea of a serial # greater than X so we can be assured when we get our replacement note7s that they are, in fact the New batch with battery issue solved.
    09-08-2016 08:42 AM
    Is the "IMEI" # on the back the serial #? If not, where is it?
    I like the idea of a serial # greater than X so we can be assured when we get our replacement note7s that they are, in fact the New batch with battery issue solved.
    On mine, the IMEI is printed on the back.
    09-08-2016 08:44 AM
    They should just call them the Note 7S and print that on the back of the device lol.
    09-08-2016 08:59 AM
    Not gonna happen. At the risk of sounding cavalier I don't even think the battery issue is all that big of a deal although I appreciate Samsung being proactive about it. It seems to me from at least most of the "Explosion" stories that people plugged in the charger, official or not, and left the phone to charge. They over-charged and those few (out of millions) overheated and melted. People are freaking out because a Jeep caught fire. The guy left it plugged in charging and left the car! Who does that?? My 7 has been fine. Never hot or anything although I don't over-charge it. I will replace the phone as Samsung is directing but to scrap the best phone ever made over this issue? Whoever would make decision like that should be fired IMHO.
    09-08-2016 09:01 AM
    Ok, so I just read the story about the Note 7 in the Jeep. Without a doubt, we'll see more incidents in the coming weeks. People that are not getting the onslaught of media coverage or just being stubborn need a bit more convincing.

How about all carriers identify the Note 7s still on their networks and broadcast another message stating that their IMEI will be blacklisted if they do not comply with the warranty recall. Property is getting damaged because people are 1.) unaware of the danger or 2.) not compelled to turn it in because "It works fine".

So many people fail to realize that it is possible to get your carrier to work with you. Don't forget you purchased a $900 device from them, and are paying them for cellular service. Voice your displeasure with the situation and get something positive out of customer retention instead of a burned up phone.
    ajb1965 and dstrauss like this.
    09-08-2016 09:02 AM
    To all of the folks getting impatient and wanted a replacement for their very expensive phone, do you really want to wait around for Samsung to rebrand and rename and remarket your replacement? Seriously?

This is an issue that needs to be dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible, bringing LESS attention to itself, not more.

The concern here should be for people's safety first. Not Samsung's reputation.
    Jona005 and Law2138 like this.
    09-08-2016 09:12 AM
    Well it has begun and like I said I love the note 7 but you need something that distance themselves away from this before it gets out hand and here is new proof a new airline ban.
    Did you read the article? It is not a "ban" . They are requesting Note 7 owners to not charge or power on their phones. Not good, but I just don't like when people exagerate and embellish.
    Jona005 likes this.
    09-08-2016 09:58 AM
    That is actually a really good idea. I wouldn't call the second batch "7s"as it smacks too much of iPhone.
    I agree. Maybe Note 7 LLSC edition (Less Likely to Spontaneously Combust).
    They don't need to scrap the Note 7, but some post-fix identification would be helpful
    09-08-2016 10:04 AM
    Maybe they should have not skipped the 6 and named it the note 6, then now they could call it the note 7 for good reason lol
    09-08-2016 10:08 AM
    Did you read the article? It is not a "ban" . They are requesting Note 7 owners to not charge or power on their phones. Not good, but I just don't like when people exagerate and embellish.
    and this is why I dislike watching tv news.
    09-08-2016 10:09 AM
    I'll agree, they should have renamed it to note 7s. Everyone would know it was fixed and for future resale if it said note 7s on the back we would know it's a fixed one and not one that someone didn't get replaced, easy just have to see note 7s on the back.
    They really need to do something like this - more like Note "7r". If the FAA follows the airlines in Australia, we need some way to assure the stewardess we have the post-recall model. Surely they could replace the cellaphane behind the rear glass cheaply and efficiently.

As for all the idiots who won't get the replacements, rather than pointing out the errors of their ways, remind them of teh severe haircut they will take on price a couple of years from now on eBay, Swappa, Craigslist, Gazelle, wherever, when they can't prove it is a replacement GN7.
    09-08-2016 10:10 AM
    Now I know I'm going to get flamed but with all the negative press and a unknown amount of bad note 7s out there, along with anyone with an original note 7 and damage is going to say the note 7 caused it. Samsung should just scrap the note 7 and make a Note 7 pro or a note 8 they need to call it something else to distance itself from bad models. Even when all the Replacements come it might be hesitation from many buyers or Many will choose to keep it or resale it causing more issues. I just think they need to distance themselves from this before it gets out of hand and recall the entire line ala ford with the pinto in the late 70s. Secondly I would change something on the new model so it would be obvious that it's not an original note 7. I know it's a huge loss but this can cost alot more than Samsung estimating. Now don't get me wrong I love my note 7 but I do have a blue one and who knows if it will go off or stay normal. One thing is for sure by Samsung keeping the model active they open themself up to frivolous lawsuits for sometime to come when they could just recall the model and move forward.
    I don't think hardware needs to be tossed. Better battery and better power algorithm (to cut all power as it overheats) solve one problem. On the other hand I don't think the software is right. With the hardware specs of this phone it should fly. Subjectively people note lag and testing reveals this really isn't a phone that lives up to its hardware. Touchwiz needs to be further trimmed to allow snappy performance. We have a right to expect smooth scrolling, responsive screen, and very little lag imo. Many say wait for updates. IME I've never seen an update that eliminates lag. The software changes needed are too extensive.
    09-08-2016 10:21 AM
    As of right now the CPSC has NOT put out an official recall on the Note 7.

If the CPSC does put out an "official" recall then YES the note 7 WILL be banned from ALL airlines.

According to the FAA if a device is recalled for safety reasons then it will NOT be allowed on any airplane carried on or checked luggage.

I am sure Samsung is fighting very hard with the US gov to make sure this does not happen.
    09-08-2016 11:01 AM
    We are going to close this thread down instead of having multiple threads open with different thread titles but all discussing the same topic pretty much (the battery issue with the Note 7). You can still discuss this issue but please use the main thread below. We don't need a new thread for each story / news article / things of that nature as it really clutters up the forum with the same topic spread out across these threads.

09-08-2016 11:12 AM
90 ... 234