Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well the endless boots issue was also related to the Exynos chipped machines bricking... and from this article it hasnt gone away. Probably just many dont factory reset a phone that is only two weeks old... once they do, if it hasnt been fixed by samsung in an update yet may.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-killed-my-note7-while-preparing-recall.html

LOL, I was just thinking that an hour ago. Where are the threads, this cheap crap gorilla Glass blows, dropped half inch and shattered. The gorilla Glass must have gotten a lot stronger over the last week, the lag must have disappeared, the endless boot must have ended, and so on. LOL

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

LOL, I was just thinking that an hour ago. Where are the threads, this cheap crap gorilla Glass blows, dropped half inch and shattered. The gorilla Glass must have gotten a lot stronger over the last week, the lag must have disappeared, the endless boot must have ended, and so on. LOL

All of the whiners turned in their phones early, so that the ones remaining with phones are us happy people (who know how to handle our phones, and know not to have worthless crap running in the background ;)).

still no problems here. And I'm not buyin that the kid in Brooklyn was watching videos and it "exploded".

I've had no problems either, and I'm not buying someone having his/her phone exploding while watching videos or any other non-plugged in usage. The only confirmed issues have been with phones that were charging. A battery charging (and cells filling and bursting) is completely different from what happens when a battery is draining (and pressure is being reduced on the cells and their capacity).

From the people who've had experience working with batteries, and how they charge and discharge, if we had the defective battery cells we would have seen it in the early charges and discharges of the phones. Not weeks down the line after we've charged and discharged numerous times. Samsung and the other entities are just trying to cover their backsides by advising people to shutdown the Notes. Samsung knew exactly what was wrong with the bad batteries and how they worked before they initiated the original recall, and they didn't advise us to shutdown and stop using them then. It wasn't until the misinformed CSPC (who didn't understand the situation when they butted in), trapped us with the potentially problem devises, and put a hold on us getting ones with safe batteries stepped in that we were advised to stop using the devices.

Not a single member of the forum has reported their Note 7 battery exploding. (That I'm aware of - correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
CPSC will most likely make a statement sometime this week. I think we will learn a lot from that statement maybe even a time frame.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I will be staying with note7 .I have had no issues at all .using it now.will exchange when new ones come out .

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
CPSC will most likely make a statement sometime this week. I think we will learn a lot from that statement maybe even a time frame.

I'm hoping tomorrow. As in the best buy thread someone posted a new image of the revised box as well with the label on it. They were already producing units and who knows, the carriers might be getting them in the warehouses right now and just waiting for the okay to release them. While it was only a couple days ago it was made public the CPSC is involved now, I'm sure they knew about this early on. It's not like Samsung would make 2 million new units without talking to CPSC about it. They know the government would find out about it when it made news they were recalling their own devices.

No way if I were Samsung I'd recall a unit and quickly ramp up production of 2.5 million more units without first talking to the government about it for the okay. Potential to lose billions more dollars that way if it isn't approved.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping tomorrow. As in the best buy thread someone posted a new image of the revised box as well with the label on it. They were already producing units and who knows, the carriers might be getting them in the warehouses right now and just waiting for the okay to release them. While it was only a couple days ago it was made public the CPSC is involved now, I'm sure they knew about this early on. It's not like Samsung would make 2 million new units without talking to CPSC about it. They know the government would find out about it when it made news they were recalling their own devices.

No way if I were Samsung I'd recall a unit and quickly ramp up production of 2.5 million more units without first talking to the government about it for the okay. Potential to lose billions more dollars that way if it isn't approved.

I seriously doubt that things would be resolved by Monday. If the CPSC releases anything tomorrow (Monday) it will probably just be a statement saying they are testing (even though talk is they don't test themselves they just argue/discuss among themselves about test findings and their opinions).

Samsung didn't update their statement on the recall until Friday meaning that the CPSC didn't get involved and put pressure on them until that point. They probably didn't even begin the investigation on Friday, but just released the statement that they were getting involved. The government shouldn't have had the power to interfere unless Samsung first made it an official recall. The way things played out it seems like the CPSC stuck their noses into things right as Samsung was ready to start the exchange (they'd already shipped out most if not all of the phones before then), and Best Buy's had already started exchanging phones they'd got in. If the CPSC had been involved earlier on Samsung would not have been able to ship out the exchange phones. The fact that Samsung changed their statement to include loner phones is a strong indication that they expect the CPSC to take a long time before they potentially approve the exchange phones for customers.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Not a single member of the forum has reported their Note 7 battery exploding. (That I'm aware of - correct me if I'm wrong).
One member of this forum, did create a thread explaining how he cracked his screen. He said he picked up his phone while it was charging and it was so hot that he instinctively dropped it....
Thinking about it now, he probably saved himself from the phone catching fire by picking it up when he did...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If the CPSC releases anything other than an estimated time frame next week, they are not following their normal protocol and relying completely on Samsung information. Fa$t tracking perhaps? The dollar sign is not a typo.

The saving grace would be they had a batch with bad batteries in the first million that sold through and contained the rest. Then PROVE the post batches are real bad cell free. Samsung has to prove that, but given the media junk involved and hysteria, not seeing fast track being too likely.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

One member of this forum, did create a thread explaining how he cracked his screen. He said he picked up his phone while it was charging and it was so hot that he instinctively dropped it....
Thinking about it now, he probably saved himself from the phone catching fire by picking it up when he did...

Perhaps very possible, but he did say it was new and loading all his apps and charging at same time. If he had unlimited data, probably using LTE. A combo of events could create a toasty device, but agreed better safe than sorry :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont believe many of these stories popping up in the US. Where's the proof? In these situations there are always people that will attempt to exploit.

Like anything else for band wagon / hysteria events, the media tends to shoot first and not ask questions later.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Are they real pictures or just that mocked up one going around?
Been all through that whole thread and only see that mocked up picture.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Are real picture or just that mocked up one going around?

In the best buy thread, someone I think out in California went to BB to exchange for their replacement, but then told them they were not authorized to yet or something. Again just what this one person posted. On here some people as of yesterday still saying some reps at Verizon and Sprint are telling them this week sometime once they get CPSC approval to release the new units.

Regardless I think we will hear something very soon regarding the time table of new units or if it will be a long process. I think we will know by the middle of the week and can decide to wait or get our money back and get a different phone.

Are you could stick with the amazing J series phones until new ones come in LOL. Someone at work has that phone. It's junk. I'd take an S5 over that thing.

My beef is I'm currently using my S7. At least I have a backup phone, but the small screen is driving me nuts. If by the end of the week nothing new then I'm either getting the Edge or V20 maybe. I can't stand tiny screens. I don't know how Iphone people do it with the 4.7 inch screens.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
In the best buy thread, someone I think out in California went to BB to exchange for their replacement, but then told them they were not authorized to yet or something. Again just what this one person posted. On here some people as of yesterday still saying some reps at Verizon and Sprint are telling them this week sometime once they get CPSC approval to release the new units.

Regardless I think we will hear something very soon regarding the time table of new units or if it will be a long process. I think we will know by the middle of the week and can decide to wait or get our money back and get a different phone.

Are you could stick with the amazing J series phones until new ones come in LOL. Someone at work has that phone. It's junk. I'd take an S5 over that thing.

My beef is I'm currently using my S7. At least I have a backup phone, but the small screen is driving me nuts. If by the end of the week nothing new then I'm either getting the Edge or V20 maybe. I can't stand tiny screens. I don't know how Iphone people do it with the 4.7 inch screens.

I saw that but no real pictures of the updated box.
All the Verizon stores around here are say they replacements will be ready next Friday the 16th, same day as iPhone 7 release. :p

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I don't care. If it helps save one person from injury, ESPECIALLY a child, then I will gladly take it.

There are now reports that the battery meltdown has happened outside of charging which means it can happen at any time!

That should have been the assumption by everyone from the get-go. It irked the bejeebus out of me that so many people ASSUMED and advised that it was a charging issue. Samsung never said that, and for those that are tech savvy at all, I'm especially surprised. Hardware is hardware, and cathodes and electrodes are just that. If the separator is defective, it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative from charging OR discharging. The meltdown can happen at any time, and THAT should have been the assumption all along since it was deemed a defective battery issue.

There was no point in bringing it up before, though; people will think what they think, and do what they do, even now with several cases of it happening outside of charging. Those same folks will continue to think they know better, it didn't really happen that way, they need proof, or that they are immune. In turn, others will continue to be ill advised, and the risk to their loved ones or anyone in their presence continues to be an issue.

Good grief, it's just a dern phone. Yes, I love it, too, it's the best, I miss it, etc. But C'mon... Stop thinking you are smarter than everyone else, and be responsible. It's that flipping easy!

Rant over.

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I don't care. If it helps save one person from injury, ESPECIALLY a child, then I will gladly take it.

There are now reports that the battery meltdown has happened outside of charging which means it can happen at any time!

That should have been the assumption by everyone from the get-go. It irked the bejeebus out of me that so many people ASSUMED and advised that it was a charging issue. Samsung never said that, and for those that are tech savvy at all, I'm especially surprised. Hardware is hardware, and cathodes and electrodes are just that. If the separator is defective, it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative from charging OR discharging. The meltdown can happen at any time, and THAT should have been the assumption all along since it was deemed a defective battery issue.

There was no point in bringing it up before, though; people will think what they think, and do what they do, even now with several cases of it happening outside of charging. Those same folks will continue to think they know better, it didn't really happen that way, they need proof, or that they are immune. In turn, others will continue to be ill advised, and the risk to their loved ones or anyone in their presence continues to be an issue.

Good grief, it's just a dern phone. Yes, I love it, too, it's the best, I miss it, etc. But C'mon... Stop thinking you are smarter than everyone else, and be responsible. It's that flipping easy!

Rant over.
Well said

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Rant over.
Every Note 7 that caught fire was safe.....until it blew up. Right, it's just a phone, and even though mine was working fine I swapped it. It's slightly inconvenient but at the end of this mess I'll have a brand new Note 7 and be on my way. People should keep in mind a possible fire threat isn't only a danger to the owner. Others need to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.