23 32.86%
  • Probably going to hand it in.

28 40.00%
  • Na, she'll be right mate.

19 27.14%
09-15-2016 03:40 PM
1,655 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    Replaceable batteries would not have stopped these incidents. I wish people would stop posting nonsense to support their own agenda. It doesn't help.
    True...but, if it does turn out to be a battery issue, this whole thing could've been resolved much quicker, and easier.
    09-12-2016 04:06 PM
    It's already been taken down by mods. Not going to add it back.
    Where is this checker located at or site
    09-12-2016 04:07 PM
    Thought it was the Samsung version one
    09-12-2016 04:11 PM
    Also, remember that Smart Switch can back up your entire phone and copy it back to the replacement unit, customization and all... so customize away!
    I'm new to Samsung. Is this like a full backup image? So I can hit one button on my new Note if I back up with this?
    09-12-2016 04:14 PM
    I'm new to Samsung. Is this like a full backup image? So I can hit one button on my new Note if I back up with this?
    Yup, you can back up to phone, SD card, or computer, or you can transfer everything connecting phone to phone when you get the replacement. You can also select what to back up and what not to.
    How to use Samsung Smart Switch to backup your Galaxy phone | Android Central
    stmax likes this.
    09-12-2016 04:21 PM
    I ran my IMEI number through the website earlier (sorry mods about posting the link, didn't know) and it said it was affected. Then I saw the mods notice about not posting your IMEI number on that site as it may not be a valid site so it kind of freaked me out. I called my local T-Mobile store and asked about the loaner phone and they said they had one so I drove over to the store as it's only about 4 miles from my work. I got there and they rep I spoke to said T-Mobile had released a new internal email that they are no longer providing in store loaners but provided a phone number for me to call (1-844-275-9309 this is for T-Mobile) and they would be able to send me one. I got back to work and called the number, total time took about 5 minutes and I have a silver S7 on the way. When I was in the store I mentioned to the rep that I entered my IMEI number on that site and later found out it may not be legit and he assured me there is nothing to worry about. With the IMEI number all they can get is basic info like specs, when it was made, where it was made and so on. He said for anyone to do any damage to my account (rack up a bill) they would need all my info to verify that they were me, so as long as I didn't share that info there was nothing to worry about. Scammers could provide the IMEI number to potential buyers to verify that it's clean but that's about it... at least that's what the rep said.
    09-12-2016 04:22 PM
    I put my imei number in just for fun and it said my phone is not eligible for exchange because I bought it on September 2 or past that.... Which is laughable because I got this phone on August 19th on the release date lol I already signed up for the exchange program and got a cofirmation number and everything... What's going On?
    09-12-2016 04:25 PM
    Yup, you can back up to phone, SD card, or computer, or you can transfer everything connecting phone to phone when you get the replacement. You can also select what to back up and what not to.
    How to use Samsung Smart Switch to backup your Galaxy phone | Android Central
    Thanks. This will be my last official duty for my Note 7 .
    09-12-2016 04:25 PM
    Yes I put my IMEI in and it said my phone IS one effected to return as soon as possible.

I have Blue version on T-mobile.
    Yours made in Korea?
    09-12-2016 04:29 PM
    This ^^
    09-12-2016 04:30 PM
    True...but, if it does turn out to be a battery issue, this whole thing could've been resolved much quicker, and easier.
    How? The entire phone still needs to be collected by Samsung/carriers , to ensure their would be no more faulty batteries out there.

The sealed batteries in this case, actually helps that process.

When there is a bad part on a car, the entire car is recalled, not just the bad part.
    09-12-2016 04:33 PM
    They would simply ship out replacement batteries, if the owner of the phone chooses not to do anything about it then the liability is no longer on Samsung as long as they notified them of it issue and provided them with the steps necessary to remedy the issue. I would assume they would also provide a return shipping label so that the owner could return the defective battery so it could be disposed of properly.

In your example the car is not recalled, as in they give you a new one, you simply take it into a dealership and they replace the component that warranted a recall.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    09-12-2016 04:46 PM
    They would simply ship out replacement batteries, if the owner of the phone chooses not to do anything about it then the liability is no longer on Samsung as long as they notified them of it issue and provided them with the steps necessary to remedy the issue. I would assume they would also provide a return shipping label so that the owner could return the defective battery so it could be disposed of properly.

In your example the car is not recalled, as in they give you a new one, you simply take it into a dealership and they replace the component that warranted a recall.
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple. What if they ship out these new batteries, and phones continue to explode? What if someone is handling the old battery while changing to the new one, and there is an accident? Not a chance Samsung takes that risk.

These phones have to be tested with the new batteries to ensure they are safe.

In the meantime, all of the potential fire hazards have to be recalled. Not just the battery.
    09-12-2016 04:57 PM
    New Text from T mobile says Samsung wants you to return the phone for a full refund. There is no data for replacement Notes.
    No mention of loaner. Seems like things are worse this week.

From the Tmobile website:
    Updated September 12, 2016 at 9:15*AM PT

Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are urging customers to power down their Note7 devices, stop charging or using them, and exchange them now.
    We encourage customers to follow Samsung’s guidance and return the Note7 to T-Mobile for a full, complete refund of anything paid for the device and any Note7 accessories, and get a different device in our inventory. We’ll waive any restocking charges and shipping fees, and customers can keep the free Netflix subscription and Gear Fit or SD card they received with purchase during pre-order.
    09-12-2016 04:59 PM
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple. What if they ship out these new batteries, and phones continue to explode? What if someone is handling the old battery while changing to the new one, and there is an accident? Not a chance Samsung takes that risk.

These phones have to be tested with the new batteries to ensure they are safe.

In the meantime, all of the potential fire hazards have to be recalled. Not just the battery.
    They would have done the testing with the new batteries prior to shipping them out. They already figured out what the issue is with the battery http://phandroid.com/2016/09/08/why-...te-7-explodes/ so then they would build the new battery, test it to verify that the issue has been resolved. Once they are satisfied that the issue has been resolved then they would make the announcement and send out emails with the steps owners would need to take in order to obtain a replacement battery.
    09-12-2016 05:02 PM
    If that site was fake how would it know the difference between Note 7's and other S7 IMEI's as needed to be replaced or not?
    Seen some check their Note 7's, some are showing as need replacing and some as not. Still not giving up my IMEI there.
    09-12-2016 05:03 PM
    I've heard plenty of conflicting reports about that. Some say it's the battery itself, some say it could be caused by the hardware that facilitates the power to or from the battery. So i'll go ahead and join the team that says the removable battery people will need to find something else to win that argument.
    Samsung stated the issue was the anode / cathode. In this case two electrode layers sandwiched rather than like a AA or D cell type design that are positive one end and negative the other.
    09-12-2016 05:07 PM
    They would have done the testing with the new batteries prior to shipping them out. They already figured out what the issue is with the battery http://phandroid.com/2016/09/08/why-...te-7-explodes/ so then they would build the new battery, test it to verify that the issue has been resolved. Once they are satisfied that the issue has been resolved then they would make the announcement and send out emails with the steps owners would need to take in order to obtain a replacement battery.
    They would have done the testing when? While customers are powering down their devices and waiting for testing and approval to be completed? Kinda like what is happening right now?

Meanwhile, in not sure I trust that it's "just the battery", no matter what Samsung's PR/damage control dept says.

Give customers a newly tested and approved phone, and ease their fears.
    09-12-2016 05:08 PM
    New Text from T mobile says Samsung wants you to return the phone for a full refund. There is no data for replacement Notes.

Samsung and the Consumer Product Safety Commission are urging customers to power down their Note7 devices, stop charging or using them, and exchange them now.
    We encourage customers to follow Samsung’s guidance and return the Note7 to T-Mobile for a full, complete refund of anything paid for the device and any Note7 accessories, and get a different device in our inventory. We’ll waive any restocking charges and shipping fees, and customers can keep the free Netflix subscription and Gear Fit or SD card they received with purchase during pre-order.
    I got that text as well just as I was pulling up to the T-mobile store to get a loaner. On the text that I got when I click on the link in the verbiage it also says "... Samsung is working to fix the issue, but a date has not been set when new, replacement Note7 devices will be available." I asked the rep about that had he said initially Samsung told them they should see replacements in 2-4 weeks but now that the government has gotten involved he speculated it may go into late October or possibly later which wouldn't be surprising.
    Note 7 bedside charging station:

Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission-zamjpis.jpg
    jbcatl, keepnitreel, EMGSM and 5 others like this.
    The more I hear about this I think Samsun is lying. Or lets say they were lying about it being a battery issue.
    Now the government is stepping in and I'm going to extend my original prediction that the Note wont be back in the US until Next year if at all. At this point they might as well call it the Note 7s(afe).
    09-12-2016 05:10 PM

Why is this worse? This is basically the same thing that has been said for weeks.
    09-12-2016 05:11 PM
    They would have done the testing when? While customers are powering down their devices and waiting for testing and approved to be completed? Kinda like what is happening right now?
    As soon as they discovered the issue was with the battery which was pretty quick. And people are getting loaner phones now like they would in that situation. The original point was this would have been a much easier resolution had the phone not been sealed and they could ship out new batteries instead of the customer having to ship back the entire phone which I feel is true but you do not. So we agree to disagree.
    09-12-2016 05:13 PM
    Why is this worse? This is basically the same thing that has been said for weeks.
    No they are telling you to come in and get a full refund. No loaner anymore. Refund or different phone.
    09-12-2016 05:14 PM
    If N7 is that dangerous then why . . .. . . don't all cellular companies simply knock them all offline thus rendering them useless?
    Still has wifi If anything, this is the first device I have owned where the wifi runs warmer downloading than LTE in a good signal area.
    09-12-2016 05:19 PM
1,655 ... 3637383940 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD