Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I apparently have one of the anode / cathode issue free devices. Great battery life (for the hardware and my use) and no heat issues since launch. "When" the CPSC clears Samsung's Note 7, will exchange it none the less- out of the spirit of caution.

I did turn off fast charge, but do that anyway with any device that has the option to.

Schlubbe

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

I'm using it for now until VZW gets the replacement plan figured out, but I wouldn't recommend this course of action to anyone else. 1 in 42,000 (if that number is legit) is acceptable odds to me - your mileage may vary.
I really like the N7 and am not interested in a substitute. Should VZW make it absolutely clear that I can get a quality loaner replacement until such time as a new N7 is available, and the whole process will be easy-peasy, I'd conside a temporary swap, but that hasn't happened so far. Again, not endorsing this course of action - you have to decide what is right for you and what your risk tolerance is.
I, like everyone else, would very much appreciate it if Samsung and all the carriers would take today to get together and devise a clear, concise plan of action (i.e. get their stories straight).
I could go into how I always wireless charge in my sight, never plug it in, and it never gets hot, but as another post mentioned, that means nothing should my specific battery prove defective.
I will say that the phone is almost never out of my sight, and is resting all by itself on a granite counter top near a smoke detector when I'm away from it.
Good luck to all, whatever you decide to do - part of being an adult is making choices and taking responsibility for the consequences of one's choices. May the odds be ever in your favor.

seajypsy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm just throwing this out there to add more fuel to the "stuff the cell providers are saying" bonfire. I called my Sprint Corporate Store this morning to see if I could return my note 7, get an s7 edge to keep and get my upgrade eligible status restored since I don't consider the S7E an upgrade.. Needless to say that was a no...lol
I called Sprint proper. I spoke to a very nice lady who did try to make it happen but could not. I asked if they'd heard anything about the date for replacements being issued and she said "actually, the word around here is that there aren't going to be replacements." She said "we're hearing there's going to be a new model" I said "Do you mean a rebranding?" She said she didn't know.. That they're hearing new model. I asked when all this was supposed to happen.. Said she didn't know. It just gets more and more crazy by the day...

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

They will lift bans after govt approval.

I returned my note 7 for the S7 edge until the new approved notes come in Stock.

I did the same. But I won't go back to the Note 7. After 4 previous Notes I learned that I don't much use the stylus. The S7E doesn't have the horrible lag that the Note 7 did. I'm sticking with the S7E for now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

A newly branded Note would be a great way to try and recover from this mess. A Note 7c model with 6gb of RAM that was rumored to go to China would restore some confidence in the company. I just wonder if that's really a possibility?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't see how that is possible on short notice. It seems the rumor mill is alive and well and Samsung Call Centers too.

seajypsy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

Sadly, I doubt it. I think if anything it would just be a re-branding and, I'm not even sure that's a possibility at this point given the speed at which Samsung is trying to get the replacements issued.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

No one expected this fiasco with the batteries to happen, but it always pays to have a backup device. I never knew so many people didn't until this cropped up and the internet forums exploded(no pun intended)

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Sadly, I doubt it. I think if anything it would just be a re-branding and, I'm not even sure that's a possibility at this point given the speed at which Samsung is trying to get the replacements issued.

I agree. I think the best thing Samsung can do right now is get good/safe models back into the hands of users, and back on retailers' shelves ASAP.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Well my theory is more of a separate release later in the year (like a plus model) rather than the replacement phones.

Given that the current Note is pretty much tainted beyond repair.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 strikes again: Jeep in flames

Surprised that now they say they have found a way to tell if your device got the bad batch of battery cells. In the beginning they said they used two 3rd party battery cell providers and one of them provided faulty cells resulting in the batteries catching fire and exploding but they had no way to tell... hence a complete recall. Will be interesting to see what additional information is provided when the website goes live.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I still have my Note 7, but it is turned off and I am not using it to be on the safe side. However, I am not going to return it until I have a new Note 7 to replace it. I'm sure it will be a long wait. I know I'll get screwed it I trade it in for a "loaner" and then try to trade back for a new Note 7.

I am using the edge and Verizon will let trade back to the Note. Am conflicted because am liking this phone. I love the Note7. It's insanely stunning. But this edge is smooth no lagging. I don't know what to do now. I miss my note7 too
The whole situation is sad

Turbolude712

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Sprint guy seemed a little mad when i returned it, kept trying to explain to me my chances of it happening to my phone. My 30 days was almost up. Why not get my upgrade back and wait it out

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I have T-mobile and my Note 7 was an upgrade from the Note 5 on Jump program. I was supposed to send the Note 5 back by 9/22 but I put it off. When all the stories came out Friday that stated that the Note 7's should be turned off and returned to carriers, I decided to return the Note 7. I called T-mobile on Saturday to verify I could return the Note 7 and go back to using the Note 5 until the new Note 7 arrived. I then went to a T-mobile in the afternoon to return the Note 7. It took an hour and a half for the manager to get through the process of returning the Note 7, refunding my money, turning off the Note 7 EIP and restarting the EIP for the Note 5.

Worth it to me to return the Note 7 as it was my main phone and the one I took to work. I don't think my employer would look kindly on me if my phone started a fire.:p

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: Note 7 strikes again: Jeep in flames

Surprised that now they say they have found a way to tell if your device got the bad batch of battery cells. In the beginning they said they used two 3rd party battery cell providers and one of them provided faulty cells resulting in the batteries catching fire and exploding but they had no way to tell... hence a complete recall. Will be interesting to see what additional information is provided when the website goes live.

This is simply how the new devices without the battery problem are being differentiated. Any device in the wild outside of the very few replacements that have already been sent should fail this imei check.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note

We have cleaned a few posts that have a supposed "IMEI check" for the defect. This site is NOT a legitimate Samsung site and IMEI numbers shouldn't be given within this site. Please do not post links to it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox