Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

After the replacements are available in mass numbers where there is no excuse of people not replacing them and Samsung offers to exchange the ones bought thru third parties such as Swappa, eBay, Craigslist, then the government, Samsung, or Carriers should shut off the remaining old note 7 phones. Probably give 30 days after they are available for sale again, send out a couple warning messages that the phone will be shut off, you need to replace for new one.

After the phone's are turned off, then I would say Samsung should be off the hook, they did everything possible to get them off the street.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm thinking samsung is almost off the hook. The carriers are starting to come around on this, and the recall has been issued for a while now. Once all carrier stores are fully on board with this, I'd say sammy is off the hook.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Isn't that the truth. I mean a guy had an iphone explode in his back pocket and he suffered third degree burns but because Apple is the 'media's darling' you just didn't hear anything about it.

So one phone....

And if the media didn't cover it, how do you know?

This us vs apple conspiracy theory is getting old

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Samsung at this point should just pull the plug on Note 7, give everyone a replacement S7E with a free sd card or something, and push the Grace UX update to S7E. Going forward, they should just ditch the note lineup altogether and instead just make one of the S8 phones come with a S Pen.

Um.....sorry.....but......NOPE

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: How Are You Handling the Recall

You always have the cloud option. Some of us (include me) do it multiple ways to be safe. For instance, I let dropbox handle the heavy lifting along with help from my SD that gets loaded to dropbox. Along with that I use Sammy and Google to back up the rest of the goods that are phone only, like contacts, etc. It's all up to you and what works for your system.

This is the best way to back up & restore a phone?? you need a computer to do it?

An iPhone does everything into iCloud, no computer required ever.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

Clearly not a Note person. I like things the way they are, Note 7 battery issue aside. It's a wonderful device and mine works perfectly.
Samsung at this point should just pull the plug on Note 7, give everyone a replacement S7E with a free sd card or something, and push the Grace UX update to S7E. Going forward, they should just ditch the note lineup altogether and instead just make one of the S8 phones come with a S Pen.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

Samsung to roll out a temporary fix for exploding Galaxy Note 7

Samsung will soon roll out a temporary fix for the exploding Galaxy Note 7: a new over-the-air software update will limit maximum charge of the problematic Note 7 battery to 60% to both serve as a stop-gap measure against explosions, but also to raise awareness amongst consumers that they need to return their phones.

The new Galaxy Note 7 temporary battery fixing update will be pushed as an obligatory solution, according to Korea Times.

After the update, the Galaxy Note 7 will be limited to getting no more than 2,100mAh of charge from its 3,500mAh battery cell, a level equivalent to around 60% of charge.

On its home turf, in Korea, Samsung will also reimburse consumers for carrier fees, a possible reason for some to delay returning the Galaxy Note 7.

In the United States, Samsung is giving out $25 gift cards to those who continue using a Samsung device even after returning their Note 7 for replacement.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
As I suspected, it's not as simple as popping in a new battery.

Not seeing that is a design issue beyond the actual battery. This info is from Samsung five hours ago and fits what I have been trying to tell explain, but this does it better (of course).

Samsung Electronics Co. blamed a minor battery manufacturing flaw for prompting a global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones and is seeking more time to investigate the cause behind its deepest crisis in years.
The Korean company outlined the preliminary findings in a report to the country’s technology standards agency that hasn’t previously been released. Initial conclusions indicate an error in production that placed pressure on plates contained within battery cells. That in turn brought negative and positive poles into contact, triggering excessive heat. Samsung however stressed that it needed to carry out a more thorough analysis to determine “the exact cause” of battery damage.
While executives have referred publicly to manufacturing slip-ups, Samsung’s report went into more detail about the potential flaws in battery design. The company has scrambled to contain the fallout after 35 cases emerged of the Note 7 overheating or combusting, with 17 of those reported in its home market. It decided on a complete recall of its plus-sized marquee smartphone even though it meant ceding its head-start over Apple Inc.’s latest iPhone.

The very bad news is this is not a fast fix, since Samsung says they need "more time", which likely means devices staged are not going to cut it either and new production would be needed. This could take weeks to months to fix- IF the article is taking what Samsung said correctly. Cell layer compression during production would be inexcusable not to catch in production before many are produced.

Note 7 might be sales dead if correct. Not adding up not not catch this. Hoping the article is wrong with context.

Last edited:

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

Samsung will soon roll out a temporary fix for the exploding Galaxy Note 7: a new over-the-air software update will limit maximum charge of the problematic Note 7 battery to 60% to both serve as a stop-gap measure against explosions, but also to raise awareness amongst consumers that they need to return their phones.

The new Galaxy Note 7 temporary battery fixing update will be pushed as an obligatory solution, according to Korea Times.

After the update, the Galaxy Note 7 will be limited to getting no more than 2,100mAh of charge from its 3,500mAh battery cell, a level equivalent to around 60% of charge.

On its home turf, in Korea, Samsung will also reimburse consumers for carrier fees, a possible reason for some to delay returning the Galaxy Note 7.

In the United States, Samsung is giving out $25 gift cards to those who continue using a Samsung device even after returning their Note 7 for replacement.
No Thanks.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

To be clear... only Korea is getting this update. Phones in the US are not (yet?)getting this restricted software.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing that is a design issue beyond the actual battery. This is straight from Samsung five hours ago and fits what I have been trying to tell explain, but this does it better (of course).

Samsung Electronics Co. blamed a minor battery manufacturing flaw for prompting a global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones and is seeking more time to investigate the cause behind its deepest crisis in years.
The Korean company outlined the preliminary findings in a report to the country’s technology standards agency that hasn’t previously been released. Initial conclusions indicate an error in production that placed pressure on plates contained within battery cells. That in turn brought negative and positive poles into contact, triggering excessive heat. Samsung however stressed that it needed to carry out a more thorough analysis to determine “the exact cause” of battery damage.
While executives have referred publicly to manufacturing slip-ups, Samsung’s report went into more detail about the potential flaws in battery design. The company has scrambled to contain the fallout after 35 cases emerged of the Note 7 overheating or combusting, with 17 of those reported in its home market. It decided on a complete recall of its plus-sized marquee smartphone even though it meant ceding its head-start over Apple Inc.’s latest iPhone.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but at this point Samsung isn't saying what causes the excessive pressure to the plates. It could be a manufacturing issue where some phones didn't get the space needed. I have a feeling we'll never know exactly.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

So one phone....

More than one phone. Can't be just one sided about things. There was an iPhone that actually burned mid air flight.

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

More than one phone. Can't be just one sided about things. There was an iPhone that actually burned mid air flight.

Over the years there have been a lot of reports of iPhones burning (circa 2014). There was an 8th grader in Maine that had one start on fire in her back pocket. There was a widespeard recall of Mac Book batteries in 2013 when they were determined to be 'extreme fire hazards'.

Apple, FAA Investigating After iPhone Catches Fire Mid-Flight - NBC News

That just happened in March and very little follow through has occurred. As a matter of fact, I would bet that most people did not even know that happened. And this is literally a phone that started on fire while a plane was in flight....yet iPhones are still allowed to be used on flights.

There definitely is a certain amount of hypocrisy within the media when it comes to Apple and Samsung. I think the point of the original post is getting lost through <3

I was just wondering at what point Samsung is off the hook. I have a feeling they are paying out BIG time for the phones that have exploded and the damage that has occurred. At what point will that stop? When can they refuse to stop paying out for an issue they have identified and done all they can to remedy?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but at this point Samsung isn't saying what causes the excessive pressure to the plates. It could be a manufacturing issue where some phones didn't get the space needed. I have a feeling we'll never know exactly.

Very true. The problem though would be the CPSC's interpretation of findings. If the CPSC determines this production issue is systemic, they could advise Samsung to not sell any of the current devices- including the apparent ones with the "S" on them. This would mean weeks or a few months for replacements. This why I hope the article is taking what Samsung said out of context. Perhaps Samsung is referring to the devices on recall and not the "S" ones as well, but that is not how the article reads...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

So one phone....

Until both devices are held to the same standard, get used to hearing about it. What's "old" is how one line of devices is held to the fire each and every time there's a problem, and the other is always put into perspective if ever it has a problem.

Also, the point about the media is 100% true. And not just with phones. Until we as a people demand a return to quality journalism, we'll continue to be fed whatever narrative our media chooses to spoon feed us. But that is a much larger conversation for a different forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon