28 40.00%
  • Na, she'll be right mate.

19 27.14%
09-15-2016 03:40 PM
1,655 ... 5354555657 ...
tools
    Now also being reported:

NYC MTA and NJ MTA.....

All Note 7's must be turned off before entering any buses, trains, or subways. As the MTA considers it a "fire hazard"

MTA, NJ TRANSIT: Power Down Samsung Galaxy Note 7 On Trains, Buses « CBS New York

Everyday this is getting worse and worse.

I am actually starting to really believe that there is a chance, I say a chance, that Samsung might scrap the Note 7 entirely in the US. If they dont with all of these agencies now (and big agencies at that like the FAA and MTA) they must put some distinct markings or something on these new devices or there will be absolutely chaos.
    This is a definite possibility.
    09-14-2016 10:49 AM
    I do not know if this has been posted or not, but it looks like the phone that Blew up in the Hands of the 6 Year old was Not an Note 7. It was a Galaxy Core phone!!! Still doesn't look well for Samsung's Quality Control!!!!

[UPDATE: It was a Galaxy Core!] Yet another Galaxy Note 7 explodes in public | TalkAndroid.com
    09-14-2016 10:54 AM
    We decided to keep my wife's and use it while it was asymptomatic. Yesterday she noticed it was not charging right and getting hotter than normal when trying. So it was shut off and will be doing an exchange today if all goes well.
    How long has your wife had her device? Smart move, BTW.
    09-14-2016 10:56 AM
    That date is internet gossip. There is no deadline... at least as of now.

If something gets repeated enough times in these types of forums, it becomes true...even when it isn't. Remember, Samsung really wants this to go as smoothly as possible... and they don't control everything about it... (carriers, CPSC, etc) .. the are not going to set a deadline, when they don't have any reasonable idea when the replacements will be out.
    I have an chat transcript from yesterday afternoon where a Verizon rep said that I would not be allowed to return it after September 30th.
    09-14-2016 10:56 AM
    Even after the replacements come out, this is still going to be a huge hassle for us note 7 users. There's zero markings on the new phones. Are you going to carry around the box to show to the airlines, mta, etc? The stewardess is going to shove that box down your throat and tell you to turn it off or get off the plane. Same goes with all other agencies as they have been instructed to get you to turn off the phone.

"BUT THIS IS THE FIXED REPLACEMENT PHONE!"

" I don't give a xxxx, turn it off! Until I hear different from the FAA, shut it off or get off the damn plane! "

There's no markings... What, are you going to try and show them the imei? Lol.. Yeah right.. Not going to happen. Show them the box? Again lol.. Not going to happen..

The rumor of Samsung remote shutting down all bad phones past a certain date may be the only way out of this. I can't see how anyone is going to prove their phone is safe to a stewardess who has been instructed to tell you to turn it off.

Boxes can be counterfeited. So those sellers you see on ebay/Craigslist still selling the phones, what if they never turn them in for the recall? They're going to be stuck.. What happens when someone is stuck with something of value and still needs to dump it? They find ways.. Counterfeiting the box would be easy. An "S" on the box.. Yeah that's going to be hard.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    09-14-2016 11:00 AM
    How long has your wife had her device? Smart move, BTW.
    Since day one.

Highly unlikely the cell is going to go bad after weeks of use and still running cool with proper capacitance.
    Which kinda disapproves this theory.
    09-14-2016 11:03 AM
    I'm smelling more BS here. Did the guy have a 55 gallon drum of gas in the passenger seat with him at the time?
    These are just people looking for a payday.
    I am not going to go into detail how to do it, but so easy to stage- especially with the heat of the fire to cover what happened. Forensics though would catch most of them.
    09-14-2016 11:03 AM
    I think Samsung's best bet would be to offer Samsung Protection Plan on the new batch of Note 7s as a goodwill gesture.
    09-14-2016 11:04 AM
    Yea. I think on Thur I will go and return this and just go with an Edge until next year. So sick of dealing with this. Gubermint isn't helping as well. Probably just another useless government agency with people with way too much time on their hands. Could have had replacements by now.

What would happen if the Iphone 7 had problems like this? You think the government would step in and give them Samsung treatment and kill this years Iphone?
    No way this would ever happen to Apple. CPSC would have turned a blind eye, believe that.
    09-14-2016 11:05 AM
    I give kudos to Samsung acting quickly to share information about the voluntary recall. The carriers that are turning away Note 7 owners without replacing the potential fire hazard device get a big fat 'F"ail.

These phones don't cost them even 20% of what they charge us to actually make them. Sure there is new tech that goes into them but that translates into all the other phones/tablets they make for that year. They spend sooooo much on advertising too. But like almost all products especially electronics, it's typically around 15-20% of what we pay that it costs them make the product. So they're taking a hit sure, more so with investors and the public eye. Financially they had an expectation of what the Note 7's revenue would generate for them in the 2nd half of the year and they're wanting to hold on to as much of that as possible. Remember, at Samsung if you don't do better then the previous versions sales, your more then likely asked to leave. They could easily afford to give everyone a crisp $100 to retain/attract customers because of this situation but right now I think they're trying to get their product back into everyone's hands before something else is placed there.

I think they've done all they can with this so far....jumped on it right away....no questions about exchanges/loaners/quick turn around. If it wasn't for the CSPC, I really believe we'd be getting our replacements this week. Verizon rep on the phone and at my local both suggested over the weekend that replacements should be in to stores beginning of this week. I understand the CSPC's checking everything and that's fine-we might not get them for another week to even a month, but it sounds like Samsung would have had these to us about now, just like in the UK.
    toenail_flicker and Jona005 like this.
    09-14-2016 11:06 AM
    I can return my "loaner" 7Edge (of course and pay a restocking fee of $45) and purchase a new unlocked Note4 from eBay for around $300.00.

Watching a couple Youtube videos on the Android 6.0.1 update and it appears people are happy with it. Could use my "gift" 256GB memory card and it has a removable battery. I don't care about the iris scanner and not having IP78 is not a show-stopper for me.

Sure its an older phone, but watching a comparison video between it and a 7Edge running 6.0.1 it wasn't too bad.

AT&T has no idea when they will arrive, and I have concerns that maybe the Note7 will never be released to the US.
    09-14-2016 11:06 AM
    Older but still great. It's what I'll go back to if things don't fall right with the N7.
    Sure its an older phone
    rtwright68 likes this.
    09-14-2016 11:08 AM
    T-Mobile is in the same boat. They said customers have till Sept. 30th to return for a full refund.
    9/30 is all based on Samsung's guidance to retail partners. If Samsung does not change it, it is what it is. Samsung probably thinks the US is going to take longer due to the CPSC involved now. If so, they will stick to 9/30 try and force device returns. Any lawyer would tell you key points in the event of class actions is to prove intent and due diligence. Samsung is trying ATM to dot all "i"s and cross all "t"s.

I luv the Note 7, but would be forced to return it since there could be an effort to block the IMEI's at some point after 9/30. If that date holds.
    09-14-2016 11:09 AM
    It's okay now, but will feel very dated within a couple years.
    09-14-2016 11:10 AM
    All of the phones out now will feel dated in a couple of years.
    rtwright68 and pinkvikchick like this.
    09-14-2016 11:11 AM
    I really have been enjoying the Samsung Pay so for me, the Note 5 loaner or Note 7 are ideal. I need the big screen. If I got out of Samsung and into the LG V10/20 or I phones, I'd lose that. Though those phones can do the regular but limited tap n pay locations. I also read that Samsung Pay may open up its app to non Samsung phones for use.
    09-14-2016 11:17 AM
    Can we put this 60% battery cap to rest now?

Samsung to limit battery charging on Galaxy Note 7 phones to prevent fires - Sep. 14, 2016

In the U.S., the company is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to figure out how a formal recall of the phones will work.

Asked about the software update, a Samsung spokesperson in the U.S. said that "no action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC."
    09-14-2016 11:22 AM
    It really doesn't help that that titles being used in the media don't reflect that this is only being done in S Korea...

Samsung to limit battery charging on Galaxy Note 7 phones to prevent fires - Sep. 14, 2016

In the U.S., the company is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to figure out how a formal recall of the phones will work.

Asked about the software update, a Samsung spokesperson in the U.S. said that "no action will be taken without the approval of the CPSC."
    09-14-2016 11:24 AM
    9/30 is all based on Samsung's guidance to retail partners. If Samsung does not change it, it is what it is.
    Well exactly -- we are going on what we know .
    rushmore likes this.
    09-14-2016 11:26 AM
    So if CPSC approves they would probably do it.
    09-14-2016 11:26 AM
    I was lucky that I hadn't had the time to factory reset and sell off my N4 when the N7 recall happened. I was able to fall back painlessly. Then just got the MM update yesterday and it's working great.
    09-14-2016 11:27 AM
    Agreed. My point though is this is not the retail places making the call. Samsung is paying for all of this in the Austin Power's Billions. Would not surprise me if 9/30 sticks. Part of the "force em' out" strategy now, though was probably based on how quick they could get replacements. Good news is a lot retailers apparently have some replacements, but CPSC involvement means not yet or maybe not anytime soon.
    09-14-2016 11:29 AM
    I personally couldn't. That phone is just too old for me.
    Jona005 likes this.
    https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016...its-and-Plugs/

Apple Recalls Beats Pill XL Portable Wireless Speakers Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2005/...ter-Batteries/

No way this would ever happen to Apple. CPSC would have turned a blind eye, believe that.
    jbcatl likes this.
    I'm holding out a little longer to see what news comes. If I turn mine in now, I don't really have a good path back to a Note 7. I'm on a corporate account, and the only way to get my phone of choice is to buy it and move the SIM over. I bought this from Samsung.com. If I turn it in, I can't walk into Verizon for a loaner. I would have to buy something else, and it would have to be a pretty good phone because I run my job from this thing. Then my only way back to a Note 7 would be to sell the temp phone to someone and buy a Note 7 again.

I also bought a case, screen protector, (2) wireless fast chargers, the Note 7 extended battery backpack, and a bunch of other stuff that may or may not be useful to me without the Note 7.

I'm still hoping that corrected Note 7's will come in time for me to buy one and return this one. We will see...
    09-14-2016 11:31 AM
1,655 ... 5354555657 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD