23 32.86%
  • Probably going to hand it in.

28 40.00%
  • Na, she'll be right mate.

19 27.14%
09-15-2016 03:40 PM
1,655 ... 5758596061 ...
tools

My phone has behaved perfectly from day one so I listened to some music on the flight until I was tired then powered down the phone when I slept to be on the safe side.

The Samsung UK rep I spoke to when I got back to London said the recall was voluntary but that everyone had taken them up on it. Mine comes October 3rd. I'll be sad to see this one go. Like I said it's behaved perfectly and never even got warm on charge up. I understand there are issues hence the recall, but you can't tell me otherwise that it's likely 99% of the original phones are probably trouble free.

I'm in the small camp that feels bad for Samsung that this happened. More bad luck than bad management. I know I'll get shot down for that but if Apple can suffer antennagate I fail to see the difference in quality control or full testing prior to release.

The Note 7 is an awesome phone. Period.
    09-14-2016 02:23 PM
    Does anyone on any of these boards actually know how the CPSC deals with recalls?

Last we heard from them they will be making an announcement soon about an official recall. Would the CPSC say that and not do an official recall? Would they make that statement and go straight to an "ok to sell again" without any more information?

Anyone know the process?
    09-14-2016 02:23 PM
    Yesterday, I was forced (literally) to give up my Note 7. Not because it blew up... but because of some [removed] here at work.

As it was explained to me, during a staff meeting that I wasn't attending, somebody made a joke about the exploding Note 7s. Then some guy became alarmed. Then another guy said yeah somebody a few feet from you has one (referring to me). So this guy FREAKS OUT and throws a huge fit over it and DEMANDS that my phone be kicked out of the building.
    I'd have said "Sure, no problem!" Then I would have done nothing. If the subject ever came up again, I'd say "yeah I got rid of it." If they asked to see my new phone I'd say "Sorry, it's out in my car charging" or "I left it at home" or maybe "I no longer have a cell phone."

Since I keep my phone in my pocket unless I'm using it, who would know I still had the phone? What are they gonna do, strip-search me?

There's no way in hell some paranoid moron is going to make me get rid of my phone.
    soldier45 and jshah500 like this.
    09-14-2016 02:26 PM
    There are some of us who understand exactly what the risks are and know how to mitigate those risks. Among other things, it's called Personal Responsibility.

I never charged mine with a cheap charger. I also kept it within arm's reach at all times. I wasn't about to leave it unattended anywhere, since if it were to start acting up, I could do something about it immediately.

And I was willing to do that to keep the thing until I could get another one. But, some people, like at my office, are a bit too timid.
    Sorry but you have NO idea what the risks are.

Are you a battery or electronics expert? Have you been part of developing the phone or on the team that pinpointed exactly what the complications are?

Buddy, nothing personal but you seem rather ignorant and blazee about the whole thing.

What you SHOULD do is to return your phone.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-14-2016 02:27 PM
    I returned my Note 7 until such time as they have new and safe Note 7 devices to sell me.
    Here is what I miss so far after a few days of using my Note 5 now:
    • The batery life!
    • The faster charging
    • The tunable power saving modes for even more battery life
    • The rounded screen edges
    • The camera UI
    • The slightly smaller and thinner size

What I don't miss:
    • The Zagg screen protector peeling up at the edges of the rounded corders from either the Verizon holster case or the Seidio Surrface with Holster I bought for Note 7

What are you missing??
    stronggeek likes this.
    09-14-2016 02:29 PM
    So you guys rather loose your jobs than give up a phone? A phone which is a potential fire risk?

What about home?

Phone still more important than family?

Sad 🤔
    No I wouldn't loose my job , just sounded like a hole lot of drama for a work place.
    I would of offered to remove it from the building and place it in my car.
    But to physcial remove from someone is overstepping boundaries.
    I guess the other option would be to send the employee home.
    On a job, steps like that can turn into a lot bigger of a issue.

I was once payed thoundands of dollars becouse I had to take late lunches.
    09-14-2016 02:31 PM
    Check out this, very interesting and probably true, article from Forbes regarding the Note 7. This and several other things are making me second guess keeping this beautiful device.

Forbes Welcome
    09-14-2016 02:31 PM
    Thanks!
    above
    09-14-2016 02:35 PM
    Smart select. And LED notifications.
    09-14-2016 02:36 PM
    I miss everything. People always say the Note 7 is just the S7 edge with an S pen, but I'm now using the S7 edge as a loaner and I feel almost.......depressed? I mean not quite depressed, that's a little extreme. But there's zero joy in using this phone, whereas with the Note 7 I loved the Coral blue color, I loved the size, the more robust "Always On Display", and just everything. It's hard to describe but I'm really sad about not having it. Can't wait until we get the replacements.
    09-14-2016 02:38 PM
    Yeah...
    -Always on display...miss that too!
    09-14-2016 02:39 PM
    I could have locked the phone in the top-case on my motorcycle, but like I said before I didn't really want it out of my sight.. because then who knows, it could have gone up and taken out my bike and any bikes near it. That would have been bad.

As for saying okay and doing nothing... I thought of that a bit too late. That's exactly what I should have done. Except, of course, then if the thing did blow, it would have been especially bad.

As for Mr. Know It All, I'll just say you know nothing about me, so WHATEVER. And learn to spell. It's "blase." You can Google words you aren't sure of.
    09-14-2016 02:39 PM
    Yup, FAA issued the same warnings and a bunch of airlines are doing the same worldwide. It's all in the 'Better safe than sorry' spirit.
    09-14-2016 02:42 PM
    Your going to love this email, Im still laughing.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-14-2016 02:42 PM
    Mod Note

Keep the discussion civil. A debate is fine but jumping down each others throats isn't needed. Thanks.
    09-14-2016 02:43 PM
    The device has a one year manufacture's warranty. Anyone who keeps the phone past this deadline or any other deadline that is set only has to file a manufacturer's warranty claim stating that their battery is not holding a charge or is heating up and it will get replaced.
    Don't think that will hold up for a recall "if they set a hard date" as someone pointed out that has not been the case so far.
    The Note 7 is Doomed. I'm about done with it myself.
    If Samsung does not get the replacements out soon, Adios.

Was that picture taken with a Note 7?
    Already posted elsewhere and multiples.
    Forbes Welcome
    09-14-2016 02:44 PM
    I'm loling @ you right now. A recall is a recall it doesn't matter how long you wait they have to take it back.
    Right, your recalled phone catches fire (you were put on notice that this can happen and asked to return it).
    Burns down a building and kills a couple of people. Who do you think the courts will hold liable.....hint it wont be Samsung.
    09-14-2016 02:45 PM
    They send them to stores and only allow exchanges and no new sales.....They would set a new release date and carriers wouldn't be able to sell them until then
    So, I wonder how that will effect those who return their N7 and get an S7E until the new N7 comes in? It won't technically be an exchange when the new N7 comes in, but another return and new purchase. Maybe because we will be on record as having bought the original.
    09-14-2016 02:46 PM
    I'm trying to figure out for what I do, would the Note4 be a good enough device? Especially at nearly 2/3's the cost of the Note7. With 6.0.1 being available for the Note4, that would probably be the last major O/S update for the Note 4, so would that carry me 1-2 years? I don't do anything very advanced with my phones, just apps & internet, don't really play major games or am worried about advanced photography. I have an iPhone 6S+ for my work device, this would be for my personal use and playing around. Thoughts?
    The note 4 will last at least another year with those uses. The camera is also extremely good.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-14-2016 02:47 PM
    Already posted elsewhere and multiples.
    Good deal, but I haven't seen the post anywhere else, but then again, I haven't read them all either.
    09-14-2016 02:48 PM
    I could have locked the phone in the top-case on my motorcycle, but like I said before I didn't really want it out of my sight.. because then who knows, it could have gone up and taken out my bike and any bikes near it. That would have been bad.

As for saying okay and doing nothing... I thought of that a bit too late. That's exactly what I should have done. Except, of course, then if the thing did blow, it would have been especially bad.

As for Mr. Know It All, I'll just say you know nothing about me, so WHATEVER. And learn to spell. It's "blase." You can Google words you aren't sure of.
    The Note itself is rather "blazee"
    09-14-2016 02:52 PM
    To be fair to Samsung, you DO have the option to return it right now, either for a full refund or with a very capable 'loaner' phone (most carriers are giving out S7's). Plus, rumor has it that, at least in the US, it's the FCC that's holding the already-available replacements back until they're convinced those are safe.
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    09-14-2016 02:52 PM
    there have been 70 reported incidents already (if you want to believe the Canadian report)..pretty sure the phone won't start beeping with a count down to tell him that the battery is about to explode....but hey, if folks want to roll the dice, be my guest...
    70 incidents of what though? Kaboom? No. Incidents where the device over heated and flammable items near them catching fire. What I'm saying is that I think these stories are sensationalized somewhat. It's not like they're actually exploding like a grenade right?
    09-14-2016 02:53 PM
1,655 ... 5758596061 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD